Monday, July 2, 2012

First Monday Health Tip

Last month, for some reason, I skipped posting my health tip on the first Monday of the month. As writers, its very easy to skip taking care of ourselves to work on our writing. Most of us are already working a day job, taking care of a family and fitting in some other leisure activities as well as writing novels, short stories, poetry and marketing all that.  Taking that hour or so to gear up, workout, cool-down and shower is sometimes last on our to-do list.

But it's summer for most of us. It's a great time to take that workout outside.  Stuck on a plot point, go weed the flowerbeds.  Unsure what to blog about next, go for a walk around the neighborhood and people watch. Want to check out a new book, walk to the library.  Have to go out of town for a speaking or signing engagement, learn a few simple yoga moves you can do in your hotel room.  Add a few pushups(there are endless varieties for all levels of strength) and some ab work(again endless varieties) and you'll be surprised how fine you feel.

Add a little exercise, and you'll come back to the work waiting for you feeling more energized. Even if you only take a few minutes to setp away from the computer and do some stretching, you'll feel better. Like right now before you click onto the next blog you're visiting, do a stretch even if you do it sitting in your chair. Every little bit helps.

Do you throw in some little fitness attempts during your day or are you a one solid hour and that's it kind of warrior? Do anything physical today?

8 comments:

M.J. Fifield said...

Last year, I was so good about working out, yoga and aerobics and all that good stuff. Then, for some reason, I got out of the habit. I'm trying to get back on track because working out really does make a huge difference, but I'm not quite there yet.

I have plans to work out today after blogging. We'll see how it goes.

Cate Masters said...

Oh, I really need to do this! I get so stiff sitting at the computer too long.

Unknown said...

I'm more of a "do it in one go then sit around in lounge pants playing Skyrim" kind of guy. Actually, you've reminded me that I need to do some pushups today. Thanks :)

The Happy Whisk said...

When I finish writing, I often like to go for a little walk.

Happy Exercising & Writing :-)

Maria Zannini said...

I do yoga regularly.

Since my back injury (going on 5 years) I try to get up and walk around every 20 minutes. Terrible for getting writing done, but I no longer have a choice. If I don't move around, I make the injury worse.

Talli Roland said...

Great tips! Getting out and going for a walk always clears my mind.

Anonymous said...

I like to do something for an hour. Walking works for me. I also do P90X a couple days a week.

Tonja said...

I haven't been doing much since it's been so hot.