Saturday, April 25, 2015

V: V for Vendetta

My theme for the A to Z Blogging Challenge this year is a mishmash of books, movies, writers and TV shows that have in one way or another taught me something about writing and helped me be a better writer. Some inspired my own stories and a few taught me what not to do. Each post is a one minute lesson on writing. Please stop by the IWSG blog for some daily inspiration.

V For Vendetta is a movie based on a comic book. V wears a Guy Fawkes mask and works to take down a corrupt fascist government in some future world. Along the way, he helps Evey, a young woman to see the rot at the center of the ruling class. The movie is tense and dark. V is a mysterious character and it's difficult to decide at first if he's a good guy or a bad guy. He really is the ultimate anti-hero. V pricks and nips at the authorities until his final climatic victory, witnessed by thousands wearing his mask. Some people find the movie confusing and I did too the first time I saw it. I wasn't that familiar with what Guy Fawkes Day was or the significance of the date, November
5th. I didn't even like the movie until my kids talked me into watching it for the third time. I'm glad I did though I can never believe terrorism is the way to change things. V did only attack the government people and not helpless citizens.

Lesson: Themes about untrustworthy or corrupt governments and leaders are always popular. I'm not sure what that says about us in general. Readers empathize with people feeling betrayed by their leaders. People also believe that governments hide things from them. The stereotypes and exaggerated personalities might work in a movie or even a comic book but aren't likely to work in a novel.

"There's no flesh or blood within this cloak to kill. There's only an idea. Ideas are bulletproof.” V

“Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.” V

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people.” V

Have you ever watched this movie? Good, bad or just strange?  Are you familiar with the Guy Fawkes story? Do like any of the V quotes above?

Almost there for the grand finish. Enjoy your day off and brace for the final four days next week. 

29 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susan - Guy Fawkes is a major part of our history .. if he'd succeeded life would be very different .. and of course it's a major part of your history as your ancestors travelled the Atlantic .. it always amazes me how much connectivity there is .. I don't like Violence though .. cheers Hilary

Heather R. Holden said...

Have never watched this movie, but it seems to be popular today, since you're already the second person I've seen post about it for A-to-Z!

Maria Zannini said...

Would you believe we have this movie in our library but we've never watched it. Hubby bought it, but I've never been fond of political stories. I need to pull it out and give it a chance.

Re: People shouldn't be afraid of their government...
This seems like a version of Thomas Jefferson's quote: "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I featured it today as well!
Terrorism is not the answer, but there is something fascinating about the film. We do empathize with V and his cause.

Keith's Ramblings said...

Just love the movie and I've seen it several times. Guy Fawkes Night is something we grow up with here. Every town and village in the UK celebrates it - I was until recently the boss of our local Bonfire Night society. It's one of every kid's favourite nights of the year, so the connection in the film made it even more interesting and dare I say, believable!

Keith's Ramblings

The Happy Whisk said...

NIce that you guys featured each other.

J.L. Campbell said...

Didn't see this one either.

Pat Hatt said...

Themes like that have gone over ever since there has been a government. Not sure what it says about us indeed

Chrys Fey said...

Those types of movies are always popular because we can, in some form or another, relate to corrupt governments and leaders.

S. L. Hennessy said...

Love the movie, but love the comic book more.

Good luck with the A to Z Challenge!
A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
http://pensuasion.blogspot.com/

cleemckenzie said...

I've never seen this, and you've seen it three times! Maybe it will take me a few viewings to "get" it, too.

Michelle Wallace said...

Government? I won't even go there----- LOL

J E Oneil said...

I've never seen it. It doesn't seem like the kind of movie that would interest me. I heard it was well done, though.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I might need someone to convince me to watch this movie, too, but I don't need anyone to tell me that the government should fear the people. If they did maybe they'd behave better.

Scribbles From Jenn - Visiting from the A to Z Challenge

L. Diane Wolfe said...

He was the definition of an anti-hero.

betty said...

Haven't see this movie; does seem interesting though

betty

Stephen Tremp said...

Day off? Not for me. too much catching up to do visiting other blogs and saying hello. I'll be busy tomorrow.

Sue McPeak said...

Have not seen this movie or the comic book character. It sounds like one my husband would know, and probably like the movie. I can answer your quote question....this quote I like....“Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.” V
Sue at CollectInTexas Gal
AtoZ 2015 Challenge
Minion for AJ's wHooligans

Elizabeth Mueller said...

This movie is intense. I wanted him to remove his mask, but I had it even better when I saw who played him in the cast of characters. Isn't it Hugo Weaving? SO not disappointed in the man behind the mask. xD

Elizabeth Mueller
AtoZ 2015
My Little Pony

i b arora said...

we need governments to lead a civilized life but invariably people who come to power act in an uncivilized manner, that's why such themes interest us

Kristin said...

I've never seen the movie. I remember hearing a few Sherlock Holmes radio shows about Guy Fawkes day, so I do know what that is.

Anonymous said...

The thing about this movie that always gets me, is in the special features, they are talking to someone about it and they say "One person's terrorist is another's freedom fighter." That really struck me as truth.

~Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
Member of C. Lee's Muffin Commando Squad
Story Dam
Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

Nick Wilford said...

I haven't seen this but I've heard a lot about it. I don't think many of us really trust our leaders, so that kind of idea will always strike a chord.

AJ Lauer said...

There is so much poetry in that movie. Both visually and with words. I love it :)

Karen Mortensen said...

Sounds like an interesting movie. Very intense.

Shanaya Tales said...

I haven't seen the movie. However, I have heard a LOT about it. I like this quote. It is so true. - "People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people.” V.
*Shantala @ ShanayaTales*

Tasha Duncan-Drake said...

I think V for Vendetta is an absolutely superb movie. It hits to the heart every time I watch it. The first time I saw it I immediately went out and bought it on DVD so I could see it again.
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

Arlee Bird said...

I am familiar with Guy Fawkes as back in my days in the costume industry one of our fellow costume shop owners for a while used to host a Guy Fawkes Night celebration bonfire at the beach. Since it was right after Halloween it was an apt time for the costumers to get together for a bit of revelry.

Lately I keep looking at my V for Vendetta DVD on the shelf thinking that I need to watch it again. It's been a while since I last saw it and I recall enjoying it. The most annoying thing about that movie was that stupid mask that came from it. I get sick of seeing protesters wearing that mask. When I was still in the costume business we got a ton of those masks and other "Vendetta" merchandise thinking it would be big for Halloween. It wasn't really as big as expected, but we did eventually sell out. Probably some of the masks we sold are still being used in protests.

Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Join us on May 4 with your post of Reflections about this year's A to Z.
Tossing It Out

Unknown said...

There is so much poetry in that movie. Both visually and with words. I love it :) quotes about life