Monday, December 21, 2015

Happy Solstice

Happy Solstice to you all. The shortest day of the year has arrived for me, but depending on your time zone the Winter Solstice might be on the 22nd. The longest night could be worse. If you live in the northern polar regions, you'll be getting 24 hours of night for the Winter Solstice. You all know I'm a sunshine, warm weather loving kind of gal so I'll be glad to see the days getting longer. We've had endless days of clouds and gloomy weather here though the temperatures have been mild until the last few days. And warm is coming back around for Christmas. So no white Christmas this year.

I have a hundred more things to get done before Christmas though we did finally get the tree up on Sunday night. It looks lovely. The gifts for Christmas Eve with the family are already nestled beneath the boughs. Still lots to do before that day gets here.

Some men, if they have twice as much to do, will do it twice as well.
The Old Farmer's Almanac, 1902

Christmas Day will be a full moon. I don't know what that means but it should mean something. Hopefully, it doesn't mean anything crazy will happen today unless the craziness is that peace on Earth breaks out.

A little too late is much too late.  German Proverb

I won't be posting on Wednesday but I'll be back next Monday. Please stop by IWSG today for my last post of the year on that site.

And some useless trivia from the Old Farmer's Almanac: A Saint Bernard can make its way through snow as deep as 15 feet.

And in case the season brings out the Scrooge in you:  Santa Claus has the right idea...visit people only once per year.  Victor Borge

I wish you all the very best and Merriest Christmas. Hope you all are safe and loved this holiday.




27 comments:

Ann Bennett said...

Have a Merry Christmas. Ah, for the days to be getting longer is great. Have a good New Year.

Heather R. Holden said...

Happy Winter Solstice! Hope the holiday season goes well for you, Susan. And LOL, that Victor Borge quote made me snicker a little too much, I must admit... XD

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

A warm Christmas will be a bummer, but I'm glad the days will be growing longer again.
Merry Christmas, Susan!

betty said...

I'm going to look forward to the days starting to get longer too; it is dark when hubby goes to work and getting dark when he returns; I'm sure he'll enjoy just a bit more light while driving :)

Glad you guys got your tree up!

Merry Christmas!

betty

Jo said...

Wishing you a very merry Christmas too Susan. And a Happy New Year.

Luanne G. Smith said...

Merry Christmas. Hoping you get tons of sun. We, on the other hand, are supposed to have snow on Christmas in Colorado. Not complaining. :)

Maria Zannini said...

Merry Christmas, Susan. Health and happiness to you and your family.

Pat Hatt said...

Hope you have a great Christmas too. lol Santa's idea is right for some people. Hopefully no nuts will come out with the full moon indeed.

Jemi Fraser said...

Good luck with that To Do list! Mine is still a little too long as well :)
Love the Victor Borge quote - he always cracks me up!! :)
Have a fabulous Christmas!!

Unknown said...


Wishing you a Merry Christmas too, Susan. And a Fantastic New Year!

A Beer for the Shower said...

It's usually warm and sunny here for Christmas. I don't mind, though. Christmas is all about the spirit, not the snow on the ground. Oh, also the gifts. Those are good too. Have a great Christmas!

Tyrean Martinson said...

hahah - visit people only once a year like Santa. :) That made me laugh. I'm really not that scrooge-like, but I'm going to remember that one. :)
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

M Pax said...

Happy Solstice! We've been getting snow.

Thanks for the blitz, and a very Merry Christmas to you and your family.

cleemckenzie said...

My father-in-law always said if you wanted something done to ask a busy person. That ties in with the Farmers' Almanac, doesn't it? Enjoy your Solstice and may 2016 bring you joy.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Feliz Navidad, Susan. Hope you get those 100 things done. Actually, I'm hoping you discover there were only 25 things.

J E Oneil said...

I'm glad that after today, the sun is coming back! Have a great holiday :)

BB said...

I wish you a nice relaxing holiday after all the craziness of preparation!! Enjoy!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susan - you're obviously well on the way to being organised. Interesting about the St Bernard being able to 'plough' through snow 15 feet deep ... but thanks for telling me about the full moon on Christmas Day - as I'll be driving home late .. I'll keep my eyes open.

Cheers Hilary

nashvillecats2 said...

I enjoyed the read Susan, I also am glad the days will begin to be longer, it seems a long night when one has to light up at 3-30pm.
Yvonne.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Merry Christmas to you, Susan, and may your 2016 be healthy, happy, and very successful.

Shanaya Tales said...

I am loving the weather (considering it's almost end of December) this winter, though I am slightly concerned that this might mean that summer comes late too, but I choose to ignore that for now.

While I am not a fan of snow or cold weather for that matter, this year I had hoped for a White Christmas as we have booked a vacation on a Ski Resort over Christmas break. But sigh.

Robin said...

I always learn the most interesting things here. I had no idea Christmas will be a full moon. I hope that doesn't bring out the "crazy" in people. Yikes!

I can't believe how mild this winter has been...

The Happy Whisk said...

Happy Solstice, indeed.

mshatch said...

I hope some crazy peace happens. Maybe everyone who's hateful will suddenly have love in their hearts instead. Wouldn't that be cool! Happy Soltice!

Theresa Milstein said...

I hope you had a nice holiday. The full moon was beautiful as I drove. Happy New Year!

Theresa Milstein said...

I hope you had a nice holiday. The full moon was beautiful as I drove. Happy New Year!

An Apel a Day said...

I hope Christmas was great for you! Mine was pretty busy!