Monday, May 15, 2017

Opportunities Galore

Lots of things going on that writers can take advantage of in the near future. Calling back to last weeks' fun with Reedsy and #IWriteBecause, Reedsy is offering a 25% discount to IWSG members. If you're looking for some help with editing, design, promotion and marketing, they're a place to start looking. You will have to be a new account to get the discount. Follow this link to sign up.

Savvy Authors are having a pitch fest from May 17th to May 19th. I didn't look at their agent list but most of the editors and publishers seem to be for romance and/or YA. They have clear rules and also a page of instructions with examples of how to write that pitch. Even if you aren't interested, you should check out their page and let it help you prepare for #IWSGPit.

On June 7th, Carina Press, a digital first line of Harlequin, is holding its fifth annual pitch fest on June 7th. So if you have a romance novel to pitch, use this #CarinaPitch. They have guidelines on their site for what they're looking for.

This coming weekend, I'm attending the 30th annual Pennwriters Conference which will be held in Pittsburgh. I'm looking forward to not only networking opportunities but also have a few workshops picked out that I hope will be of use to me in promotion. Since I'll be there all weekend, I probably not post here next Monday, but I'll have lots of good stuff to share in later posts. Remember you can always check out the IWSG Conference Page and find an opportunity for yourself.

I'd hope to finish my WIP before the conference, but I'm going to be just short on that first draft. Working on the dark moment right now.

“I realized when you look at your mother, you are looking at the purest love you will ever know.” 
― Mitch AlbomFor One More Day

Hope those of you who are mothers had a good day yesterday. My children and husband did a wonderful job making mine special. It was great after a couple of really, really busy weeks.

"If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" Milton Berle

I had some good news on the TV front when NBC canceled Timeless but then decided to bring it back in summer 2018. It was the only new show I started watching this past TV season. But three hours of TV shows per week is good for me.

Any good opportunities you're taking advantage of in the upcoming weeks? How did you spend Mother's Day? Did any of your favorite shows get canceled? Are you tired of rain where you live?







22 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Have a great time at the conference!
Carina Press is also joining us for #IWSGPit.

Pat Hatt said...

Was surprised when they brought Timeless back. 3 hours of TV a week? Damn, I may have you beat lol at least when I'm not working a ton. Lots of opportunities indeed taking seed. Enjoy the conference.

Maria Zannini said...

We're not getting enough rain. Hopefully, it will make up for it this week.

Glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day.

I love that Milton Berle quote. So true.

Bish Denham said...

I wish it would rain where we are. It's too dry and doesn't bode well for the summer... Have fun at the conference!

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Enjoy the conference! Looking forward to your posts about it.

We need rain! Send some our way, please. :)

Sarah Foster said...

Have a good time at the conference! It was raining pretty hard here yesterday, but it's supposed to clear up soon. Which is great because I'm on vacation!

Anonymous said...

Have fun at the conference.

M.J. Fifield said...

I was surprised when they un-cancelled Timeless. Then, I just assumed that Wyatt, Lucy, and Rufus had taken one last trip to the NBC executive offices or something.

Enjoy the conference. My next one is in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to it, even though I didn't get my book done in time for it.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Bring back some great ideas from that conference. I wish we had more in this area.

cleemckenzie said...

Have a great conference. And Mothers Day was perfect for me this year.

A Beer for the Shower said...

What a sweet quote. The first one. The second one is just plain hilarious.

Have an awesome time at the conference!

J E Oneil said...

Wow, a lot going on this month. Glad you had a happy Mother's Day. You deserve it :)

messymimi said...

The swamp is getting the usual amounts, and that's plenty of rain for me.

Hooray for a Happy Mother's Day at your house! Mine was spent mostly doing stuff for everyone else, as usual. It's okay, my time will come.

betty said...

Hope you enjoy the conference! It was funny with this Mother's Day. Son called in the morning to wish me a Happy Mother's Day saying I was the "best mom" followed literally afterward with "I have a question. I picked up an extra shift at work, can you watch the kids?" (DIL was also working for the day). We said sure. We go to church and the pastor as part of his sermon was reading letters from kids written to their moms. One started with "Dear Mom, you are the best mom. Can we go to McDonalds?" Made me think of son's request for us to watch the kids. We put a roast in the crock pot so had dinner for the kids and DIL when she came to pick them up, so all in all it was a good day!

betty

nashvillecats2 said...

Opporuntnities must not be missed, to miss an opporunity is a sad thing.
Sorry I'm late in replying.

Yvonne.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Thanks for all the pitch ideas, Susan. As for rain, we were soaking it up in Colorado and loving all the green. I got most of my garden in now...so of course there's snow in the forecast. Colorado in May...anything can happen with the weather.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Great news on all the pitch ideas - not sure I'm ready to use those opportunities, but I'm glad they are there.
Best wishes on your writing!
And ... the rain. I like rain but this year we've had a bit much.

Romance Book Haven said...

All the best on your writing!

Christine Rains said...

All awesome opportunities! Wonderful that you had a lovely Mother's Day. My husband fell asleep in the afternoon and we didn't get to go out for dinner, but I got to spend time with my son planting in the backyard. :)

Crystal Collier said...

What a great list of opportunities! I love the digital ones where you can participate from anywhere. Otherwise, the costs stack up way too fast.

Chemist Ken said...

I actually know a local writer who will be attending the Pennwriters conference. Wish these conferences didn't start on Fridays. It's hard to get off work when that happens.

The Happy Whisk said...

Happy Belated Mother's Day.