Monday, June 19, 2017

Hot Reads and Weather

I love the heat and hate winter. I don't enjoy the rain like some people do. But even I think we need some this week. So let it rain, a bit.

I've read some good books in between working on my outline for my next book and finishing up some line edits for the one coming out shortly. Lesser Evils by Joe Flanagan was a great read. The
main character is so human and interesting. The story is suspenseful and very dark, but the ending allows the light to shine through. I will read more by this author.

I have a stack of library books to read but that won't stop me from going to the bookstore today. In other good news, my local library has extended their hours for the summer. I guess that means that donations are up or the county powers-that-be found money in the budget to actually put toward a worthwhile thing.

When a father gives to his son, both laugh; when a son gives to his father, both cry. William Shakespeare

Father's Day was great at our house. Two of our boys took their father golfing which they all enjoyed despite the heat. I prepared some of my husband's favorite dishes, corn on the cob, pasta salad, meatball sandwiches, and the other children make time to spend at least part of the day here. My husband is an excellent father and deserves all the love that came his way.

The imprint of the father, remains forever on the life of the child. - Roy Lessin 

I'm polishing up the first page of First Dragon for a workshop we're doing at my next local writer's meeting. We're having three outside professionals come in and they'll evaluate first pages with the writers being anonymous. I also made a short list of fantasy publishers I intend to query that book too. My favorite is closed to submissions until the end of July so I'll probably wait until then.

Wonder Woman was great. Really glad I went to see it. We also rented The Batman Lego movie last week. It wasn't as good as the first Lego movie, but it was okay. My husband wants to rent the second John Wick movie next. I guess I can stand some endless violence and a main character I could care less about for an evening.

I won't be posting next week as my husband and I are going away for a few days to celebrate our anniversary. Finally. My next post will be for IWSG July version. The optional question for that post is: What is one valuable lesson you've learned since you started writing?

Did you see both Lego movies? One better than the other? Summer getaway plans on your agenda? Ever attend a workshop where pages were critiqued in a group situation? Did you learn anything?



26 comments:

nashvillecats2 said...

Yes we all need rain at times even if we don't prefer it.
Pleased Father's Day was a success.
Wonderful post for the beginning of this week Susan.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That was nice of your children to spend time with their father yesterday.

I didn't like the Lego movie. When I was a kid, that's not what my Legos looked like at all, so I just couldn't get into it.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Awesome that your husband had such a great Father's day. I've been loving getting books from the library lately. So much I want to read.
Have a great trip for your anniversary. What a fun way to celebrate!

Maria Zannini said...

John Wick 2 was terrible. It had none of the sophistication of the first movie. What it was, was a super long trailer for the next movie. Save your money.

Pat Hatt said...

Great that he had a wonderful Father's day. That is a neat way to judge first pages. Seen both lego movies, found both rather meh actually. Hope you have a great trip!

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

We had no rain for the longest time then a couple of weeks worth of gray skies, rain, and storms. Good days to curl up inside and write, read and binge watch. :)

Have a wonderful getaway!

messymimi said...

Happy Anniversary! and i hope you get just enough rain.

Tamara Narayan said...

I like winter if there is snow about and rain with thunder is always exciting. Of course rain comes with clouds which is a bonus since my eyes are sensitive to bright sunshine.

I've enjoyed reading The Circle, Lilac Girls, and am currently rereading The Host. Found two more popular books at the library this morning. Still need to work on editing out at least 2K from my novel before the July Twitterpitch. It's going slow.

Ann Bennett said...

We're the opposite in weather. But I live in Georgia along the Fall line and you live in Pennsylvania. I grew up in a military town and people from Pennsylvania and upstate New York would wistfully remember their home states. On vacation traveling through these states, I saw what they missed. Beautiful states.

A Beer for the Shower said...

Oh yes, I too love the heat. Good riddance, winter!

That sounds like a great Father's Day. Glad to hear your husband got the treatment he deserves. Give me a meatball sandwich and corn on the cob over burned hot dogs any day.

J E Oneil said...

I'm not a fan of heat or cold. Can't it just be spring all the time?

Wonder Woman was so awesome. I'm declaring it the best movie this year.

Jo said...

Sounds like it was a good day all round. Hubby got cards and talked to his kids on the phone. Not been to the movies in a while, usually end up getting them from the library or something.

Jay Noel said...

Looks like you had a great Father's Day!
I love both Lego movies, but the first one is most definitely my favorite. Of course, WW was fantastic. So relieved they did her story right.

cleemckenzie said...

I love the title of the book you're using in the workshop! How could I not? Have a great time away, and glad you enjoyed Wonder Woman. I still haven't seen it.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I used to love the heat and hate the cold, but now I'm the opposite... and moved to a hot city, lol. Typical.
I really enjoyed Wonder Woman too.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

We've been getting rain for over 2 months. Enough! Father's Day was nice. Quiet. Busy. Yours sounds like it was lovely.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susan - glad Father's Day was so successful and family oriented - the way it should be ... quite fancy the lunch though! Happy anniversary this coming week and enjoy the time away together. It's HOT here - doesn't often happen! Wonder Woman I enjoyed after the first third ... one Lego movie was enough! Cheers and enjoy the summer - and that holiday - Hilary

Annalisa Crawford said...

I saw Wonder Woman twice - she was my hero when I was really little, and I'm so glad she's hit the big screen (and recognition) - even if it took a while :-)

Patricia Stoltey said...

I have attended a critique workshop at a conference where the attendees pre-critiqued all submissions and then the discussion was held with an agent or editor moderator at the conference. One was great (I found my publisher there) and two not-so-great...but I think I'll sign up for another one this year. It's an interesting experience, regardless of the feedback.

mshatch said...

I want to see Wonder Woman but no interest in seeing John Wick 2. I'm with you on that one!

Crystal Collier said...

Happy anniversary! Yay for awesome reads. Our library system is pretty amazing, so they have most everything I want to read, but when they don't, I'm all about eBooks. No patience or time to drive to a store. Is that sad? Maybe not so much when you consider I'd have to drag 4 kids and my pregnant self out the door.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Susan,

LOVED Wonder Woman. Haven't seen either Lego movie. I did attend a group critique at a conference with the SCBWI... Sadly, it wasn't as helpful as I would've liked. Basically everyone paraphrased each other.

Glad your hubs had a nice Father's day.... and ENJOY your Anniversary weekend!

Shanaya Tales said...

I haven't seen either Lego movie or Wonder Woman, a state of affairs I need to work on correcting.

Nick Wilford said...

Good luck on your critiques and the submissions. Sounds like you're busy. A break is well deserved!

Michelle Wallace said...

Hi Susan!

Dropped by your blog via the We are the World Blogfest, but could not find a post for June. Please let me know if I can help in any way, and hope to see a post from you on the 28th July.

Anonymous said...

I love the title of the book you're using in the workshop! How could I not? Have a great time away, and glad you enjoyed Wonder Woman. I still haven't seen it.

เย็ดสาว