Monday, October 16, 2017

Upcoming Book Event

I know most of my blogger friends don't leave in Pennsylvania or Maryland, but if you are nearby, I hope you'll support the York Book Expo Event held at the Wisehaver Event Center in York, PA this coming Saturday. This is the third annual event featuring local authors and run by Demi Stevens who has been a guest on IWSG where she posted about organizing such a book event.



I'm excited to see some of my writer friends I haven't seen for a while and meet the hundreds of readers and book lovers who attend this every year. Last year I had the pleasure of speaking with a young couple who had returned just to see me again and purchase more books. It's great fun and if I sell some books (or a lot of books) it's even more fun.

Tomorrow I'm signing my granddaughter up for the next session of 'Born to Read.' Hard to believe how quickly the first session is going. My granddaughter has lost all her hesitation and last week plopped her butt right in front of the instructor and listened to her reading a story. She probably wanted to chew the book like she does the ones she has at home.

And in answer to all the emails I'm getting, Yes, Panera, I am enjoying my free month of bagels. I don't go everyday but I've been in three times this month and received my free bagel. I also purchased the special ribbon-shaped bagel they're selling to support breast cancer research. Also impressed the other day when the person taking orders told the soldier standing in line behind me that his meal was on the house to thank him for his service. No flash, no TV coverage, just a business doing a good thing. Good on you, Panera, and thank you for the free bagels.

50/50 writing challenge is going okay though I'm not off to the running start I was the last time we did it in the spring. After I get this booksigning out of the way, I'll have no other big events to take up my weekends for a while.

Yearly checkup today so I'll get to your blogs later today and find out how your fall is going. Wonder what those free bagels are doing to my numbers on the scale? Guess the doc will let me know. Ouch.

Are than book events in your area? Ever attended or been part of one? Are you a Panera fan? My daughter loves their soups.


20 comments:

M.J. Fifield said...

There are a few book events in my area, and I've been fortunate enough to participate in a few of them. My next event isn't until mid-November. Best of luck to you this coming Saturday!

I love Panera (especially the mac & cheese), but I haven't seen the special bagels. I'll definitely have to be on the look-out for those.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I had a lot of fun at my book event last month and sold a bunch of books. Hope you do the same.

I love Panera bagels. That was great of that person to give the military man a free meal.

nashvillecats2 said...

Sounds like fun Susan.

Yvonne.

Natalie Aguirre said...

The book expo sounds really fun. And awesome about the couple who came back to see you there. Glad you're enjoying your bagels. A friend I was with yesterday bought the ribbon one too.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Good luck at the yearly check-up! Had mine recently and so far, so good. :)

Haven't been to Panera in ages - might have to give them another try.

Hope you have lots of fun and sell lots of books at the expo!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good luck at the expo. Keep enjoying those free bagels.

messymimi said...

Hope you have a great time at your book event, and an excellent report from the doctor.

Pat Hatt said...

Hopefully the event goes grand. Never been to one in our land. The bagels hopefully won't add anything to the report.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susan - good luck in York at the Book Fair. How excellent that your grand-daughter is being such a great listener ... wonderful. Good luck with the check up ... and here's to a wonderful writerly autumn - cheers Hilary

A Beer for the Shower said...

Have fun! That sounds like a good time. I need to find more writing related events around here. Maybe they just need to offer free bagels.

J E Oneil said...

How fun! I think this is the first time I've seen a pic of you. I think I've been to Panera once in my life, so I won't comment on whether or not they're good.

Jemi Fraser said...

Have fun at the event! I've never been to one but I bet I'd like it! :)
We don't have a Panera in our area - sounds like we're missing out!

Jo said...

Not familiar with Panera, guess we don't have them round here. Good luck with the books at the Expo.

Patricia Stoltey said...

I'm getting free bagels at Panera this month, too, but have only been once so far. I'm trying to eat almost zero sugar and low carb, so bagels are not something I should be eating...not good timing for freebies.

This weekend is a big FoCo (for Fort Collins) book event here in Northern Colorado which classes and readings and other stuff. I'm not participating this year but hope to next year.

Juneta key said...

Sounds fun. Hope you have a great time. Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

Chrys Fey said...

I wish I could go to every book expo. I've never even been to one. I hope you have a blast!

Julie Flanders said...

I've been to some great book events here in Ohio and really enjoyed the experience. That's so awesome that you met readers who returned to the fest to get more of your books. What a thrill!
I hope you have a great time again this weekend. :)

Tamara Narayan said...

Yes, we are so addicted to Panera soups: creamy tomato, butternut squash, twelve vegetable. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard of any book events in my area. Everyone is talking Halloween stuff here.

Jay Noel said...

I just went to a book event recently, but the turnout wasn't so great. The public library that puts it on does a pretty great job, but the marketing is lacking.

I live in Panera's home base, so here in the area, Panera = St. Louis Bread Company.