Monday, January 15, 2018

Plugging Away

I didn't accomplish a lot of writing related things this past week, but I did get some things out of the way that I don't like to do. Such as:
Adding up my expenses and income from writing in preparation for taxes.
Polishing up a blurb and synopsis for one of my books.
Rearranging some things in my office do everything looks more organized. (Now I can't find some things.)
Cleaned out some cupboards with my granddaughter's help. Lots of noise. At least, she had fun.

Then there were things I did like that I worked on this past week. Such as:
Started the plotting and character descriptions for my next fantasy series.
Sketched out a marketing plan.
Organized some things for my writing group responsibilities.
Extended my workout time from 40 minutes to 50-60 minutes. Adding some intervals this week.

Adding up my income from 2017 was a dismal task. My sales numbers were really down last year. My publisher assures me this is true across the board for a lot of small presses and indie authors. I figure I have to try harder to make sure readers find me. Working on that though it's another thing that takes time away from actual writing.

"Do not squander time, for that's the stuff life is made of." Benjamin Franklin

Winter has mental issues. It's not sure what it wants to be. After ten straight days of sub-freezing weather, and some sub-sub-sub-freezing, it was in the 60's last Friday. Now, a few more days of cold, a little snow, and in the 50's next weekend. Make up your mind, winter, you s#&*!

Anne R. Allen had an interesting post about how the start of your book can kill your sales. I've heard most of them before, but from the manuscripts I've been asked to read by beginning writers, these suggestions aren't as well known as you might think.

Don't forget IWSG Twitter pitch party on Thursday. Wish I had something ready to pitch. Use the #IWSGPit tag and go find an agent of publisher.

I read somewhere this past weekend that people are so busy clicking on and reading about the political drama and the sexual assault and harassment news that they're not looking at or reading fiction as much. Seems to me that we need more escapism from the reality than ever. Everyday in the news, it's like 'What or Who said or did something stupid, arrogant, or dishonorable.' Crazy times.

"A great many people think they are thinking when they are actually rearranging their prejudices." William James

Are you ready for #IWSGPit? Is winter being a little crazy in your neck of the woods? Does all the insane political and celebrity news distract you online?





20 comments:

Pat Hatt said...

Winter is being crazy indeed. At least you got done some things that you enjoy. Yep, marketing sure is a time suck. I just give the political news a pffft these days and on I go.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

One hour is a good length for a workout.
The weather is indeed crazy.
I ignore the political stuff. I don't dare comment and can't change people's beliefs anyway.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Winter's definitely crazy. But then, I always think it is! Not my favorite season. In Ohio at least. :)

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Good for you for extending your workout! I'm working on my workout - getting there! :)

I pay little to no attention to the news. I don't have the stomach - or the heart - for it. I'd much rather read a book.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Your publisher was sadly correct.

We were just above zero a week ago, then 70 a couple days later, then back down to below freezing, all in a week. Simply bonkers.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Sounds like you got a lot done. Sorry that your income wasn't what you wanted. But it's kind of amazing to make any money writing. I didn't get any writing done for me last week. I was working on getting a coffee table,end table, and dining table for a play I'm producing for a cheap cost. Glad that's done! Maybe some writing this week!

cleemckenzie said...

Ugh! You had to mention taxes, right? That reminds me that tomorrow I'll have to dig up all those files and make sense of them again.

J E Oneil said...

Ha ha, I'm sure your granddaughter "helped" a lot. And I guess people don't need fiction as much when real life is so unfortunately entertaining.

Sarah Foster said...

Winter is crazy! We were spoiled here by two warm days so I couldn't believe it when it got cold again.
I wish I had something to pitch, too. But it'll be ready when it's ready. And it is so not ready.

messymimi said...

We warmed up a bit and are back to below freezing for days in a row, which never happens in the swamps.

With the news the way it is, i need to read good books more than ever to take my mind off of it for a while!

nashvillecats2 said...

Pleased you managed to get on with a couple of things Susan. Hope all goes well.

Yvonne.

Juneta key said...

Working on some things is step forward. I agree we need more escapism stories. Wishing you much success and the best with your marketing and writing this year.

Jemi Fraser said...

I need my fiction AWAY from the horrors in the news - but I can see how easy it is for people to disappear into it. Like a car crash you can't look away from.
Good luck with 2018 - sounds like you're ready to rock it!!

Patricia Stoltey said...

I'm reading more books now and spending much less time listening to "who said what and when" on cable news. It's a great stress reliever to enjoy a good fun mystery (may I suggest Jennifer Kincheloe's "The Secret Life of Anna Blanc"?

Anonymous said...

Winter has been bonkers in Michigan. It's really annoying because the warm then cold has produced a lot of ice and that's worst than snow.

Jo said...

Winter is being crazy here too although lately it seems to have decided to actually be winter. How long that will last I don't know. As I don't believe much of the stuff I hear about politicians or what they do and say, I don't bother much with any of it nor with all these sexual harassment charges.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susan - winter is always a pain: except some people love it ... a time to read and not do much else preferably! The keeping up with things helps so much as we are prepared ... good luck with the coming year and your writing - cheers Hilary

H. R. Sinclair said...

It's the worst when you clean and organize your stuff and then can't find it!

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

I know living in sunny Mexico sounds wonderfully cozy, it was actually chilly today. I've had my long pants and sweater since morning. But--it's given me exact energy to fix some wifi issues and to read some of my favourite blogs. You sound productive, Susan. Good for you. I'm feeling the urge to follow suit.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Our weather has been wacky here, too. It should not be in the 60s in Colorado in January! Luckily, we got a dusting of snow this week, but we need more or we'll be in drought. February and March are our heavy snow months, so we'll see. In the meantime, I've gotten in a few walks on nicer days, which is nice, because I majorly slack on my walks when it's cold outside. I hope your sales improve this year.