Monday, October 14, 2019

Happy Columbus Day and Thanksgiving in Canada

Columbus Day to me means a day off from babysitting which I can always use. And Happy Thanksgiving to my friends in Canada.

"I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers." Anne of Green Gables by Lucky Maud Montgomery (Canadian writer)

Last week, I bought a bagful of books from my local library's annual book sale. I'm very happy to support the library. As I've said many times, I love the library. Our local branch is located right beside the railroad and sometimes 2 or 3 trains will go by when I'm there with my granddaughter. It's cool because all the little kids run to windows to watch. Since there's a crossing right there, the train always whistles. The children's special reading lounge and play are has a train theme and it's perfect. My granddaughter loves it.

I realized a few weeks ago that I forgot about my blog anniversary in August. Susan Says has been around since 2008! Time flies.

I'm still cleaning house since my last adult child moved out. I'm not a collector of things but my children apparently are. I have a roomful of large Rubbermaid containers with their stuff still here. I told them they can leave it until I downsize which is happening soon. We've seen huge savings in our electric costs since the kiddies moved out. Fewer showers, laundry, computers, and TV time have made a big difference.

The house is very quiet, but I really like it. I'm busy with my writing, the outside fall work, great books to read, and taking care of my granddaughter.

"Rules for happiness: something to do, someone to love, and something to hope for!" Immanuel Kant

What traditional foods do Canadians have for Thanksgiving? Anything special about your local library? How long have you been part of the blogging scene?

14 comments:

lostinimaginaryworlds.blogspot.com said...

Susan, your post about how I've been part of the blogging scene, interested me. I probably began a blogspot blog years before it was bought by Google, and not understanding what this would mean, I didn't move my blog to Google and lost all my photographs and the theme I'd paid for, like many other people. In disgust, I shut down what was left of my blog. Then recently, learning that Google was abandoning blogging, I re-established my blog, but sadly minus all my blogger friend followers.

lostinimaginaryworlds.blogspot.com said...

Oh, and I forgot to say, Happy Columbus Day 🌹

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I don't wander the library aisles as much as I used to do. Now I tend to put books on hold then pick them up when they're ready.

Our local library has both a children's section and a teen section. Both seem nice to me, but what do I know? I'm pretty far away from those years. :)

Natalie Aguirre said...

I love the library. Glad you’re enjoying being an empty nester. I live alone so it’s been more challenging. Congrats on your blog anniversary.

Pat Hatt said...

Happy no babysitting day haha Been around blogland for almost 9 years now, you got a few on me. Having the bills go down sure isn't a bad thing. Sure can't top a good library. Just the same old stuff for Thanksgiving up here.

betty said...

Happy belated blogiversry! It is always good to have a day off from routine and good for your granddaughter to be able to spend the extra day with her parents :) It will be interesting how many things your kids have kept at your house they will really want "when pushed to shove" when you are reading to downsize. I know I kept some things at my in laws and then years later thought "why did I want those things?" I do like our library's digital ebooks. Enjoying reading a lot from there. Enjoy your day! Cute little story I'll end with. Hubby works on an Indian reservation in their health care division. For some reason, he never gets Columbus Day off LOL (but he does get Native American Day off in September).

betty

Tyrean Martinson said...

I love my local library - partly because the librarians are awesome, partly because I used to take my children there every week for story-time, and partly because I love the seats by the big windows where I can write with natural light flooding in.
Libraries ... just wonderful places.
Happy Columbus Day!

J E Oneil said...

I used to like going to the library when I was little. It's been a long time since I've been there, unfortunately.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I didn't realise it was Columbus Day and Thanksgiving in Canada. Cool!
Happy blogiversary too. Time does jet past.

Sandra Cox said...

Another cycle of life. Glad you are enjoying it.

Jo said...

I started blogging in October 2007. Seems like a long time ago. As for Thanksgiving, we mostly eat the same things you do in the States, turkey or ham and pumpkin pie are the traditional foods. I love the library too although it is becoming something of a walk for me. Happy Columbus Day.

Chrys Fey said...

Now, I prefer to call it Indigenous' Peoples Day. :) Either way, I hope you had a great day. :)

messymimi said...

Our local library has fabulous children's programs all summer long, i used to take advantage of them and my kids never felt like they missed out on summer camps or anything like it.

Our university friends of the library group has a book sale each spring and i never get away without a bag or two full.

Hope you are having a wonderful fall!

Damyanti Biswas said...

Quieter house does have its advantages. Glad that you are getting enough reading and writing done!