Wednesday, September 2, 2020

IWSG: September 2020

 


Welcome to the monthly blog hop of The Insecure Writers Support Group. This dynamic group started by Alex J. Cavanaugh and led by a group of amazing administrators, posts once a month to share our insecurities, knowledge, and to encourage each other.  Find the entire list here.

This month's optional question: If you choose one author, living or not, to be your beta reader, who would it be and why?

That is a tough one. First, I would be completely intimidated by my choice. Brandon Sanderson is my likely first pick. He writes big books and I would love to see his series bibles for all his different series. He writes epic heroes, but they are perfectly flawed and often insecure. They make so many human mistakes, and he conveys their inner voices so well.

2020 has flown by and yet few of us can wait for it to be over and done with. Not that flipping a page on a calendar really wipes away the previous months. The stresses are many and the escapes few. It's easier for people like me who are mostly content to stay home, write and read, and who need only occasional trips to the grocery store. Though I still have to worry about my family as they all continue to go to work each day. I hope you all are doing okay. Remember to reach out with a phone call or email to someone who might be feeling alone. It will lift your spirits also.

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else." Booker T. Washington

I'll be perfectly happy to never attend another Zoom meeting. But I have two this week and more in the days to come. I can't imagine what it is like for students and teachers to spend all day on it. On the 12th, I'm attending a virtual writers conference. We'll see how that goes.😕

I'm looking forward to The Boys returning for season 2 on Amazon in a few days. I'll also check out the new HBO offering, Raised by Wolves. There is so little new things to entertain. Good thing I enjoy books!

My granddaughter starts pre-school next week. Just two mornings each week, but I feel like I'm throwing her into the wild. LOL  It didn't bother me at all to send my own children off to school. Being a grandparent is really different. Though I'll miss having my little shadow by my side for 8 or 9 hours per day, I'm excited for her to spread her wings and learn her way. She is three and a half. About time she gets going.

"It's great to arrive, but the trip's always most of the fun." Malcolm Forbes

Who would you like as a beta reader for your work? How are you entertaining yourself and family during the restrictions? Are you keeping in touch with friends and family?








20 comments:

nashvillecats2 said...

A great write Susan, as you say emailing or phoning someone in today's situation can be a life saver, I write emails and phone others but get no reply. Guess life is lonely at the moment.
Keep safe and well.
Yvonne.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Sadly Zoom meetings are not going to take the place of in person learning. Kids are going to be so messed up from this year.

We do a FaceTime call with my in-laws every Sunday. We might not have a lot of new news, but at least we can see them.

Liza said...

I spend a lot of time at home...grocery shopping or CVS are my shopping outings. I work at my dining room table for the paying job, then morph to my writing desk when I can. I love my house, but have learned that I need to take (solitary) walks in sunny places to give myself an outlet, and exercise!

T. Powell Coltrin said...

Being a grandparent is different! :) In February I took the plunge and retired. Little did I know then what a mess it would be to go back to work at a school. Glad I peaced on out, but I worry about my grandkids.

Teresa

Natalie Aguirre said...

I've heard great things by Brandon Sanderson and need to read one of his books.

I actually like the Zoom meetings as a way to do things like have my critique group meetings and to stay connected when it's not safe to see most people I care for.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm a homebody anyway but I've got my fix of people through church and work this year. Just really miss the movie theaters.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I'm ready for 2020 to be over, but I'll settle for some cooler weather. :)

Most new/newer movies are leaving us cold. As for TV, we've been re-watching some old one or watching old ones we missed the first time around.

betty said...

Good for your granddaughter starting preschool! She'll love it I am sure! Grandson has been going to day care/preschool through this whole mess except for a month when his dad's restaurant was closed and he missed being with his friends that month.

I have never been on a Zoom meeting or call. I think I'm purposefully ignoring them. It looks complicated and to me it doesn't seem like it would be purposeful or personal.

Glad your family is doing well!

betty

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,
I love the quote from Booker T Washington because it is so true. Stepping outside of yourself to help someone else always boost my spirit.
Have a great month.
Shalom aleichem,
Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

Jemi Fraser said...

I bet your granddaughter will enjoy the day care experience - another milestone. But those can be hard as well!
Love the Booker T quote!

M.J. Fifield said...

My family these days is just my significant other and our furbabies, so we're content to just hang out on the couch or walk around the neighborhood. I keep in touch with the extended family with social media (the only reason I still use Facebook).

Chrys Fey said...

Seeing those epic heroes before his stories are polished and edited would be interesting. :)

PJ Colando said...

How generous of you to share your coping mechanisms in this COVID-life that we've been invited to endure, whether we like it or not. You've given me ideas.

I am a hugger and that has been tough to miss. Zoom interactions just don't do what in-person interactions can. Especially because most Zoomers look at the screen deadpan, as if they were watching TV.

I've immersed myself in my keyboard to complete two books: The Jailbird's Jackpot, the fourth and final book in my 'Faith, Family, Frenzy! series - and I AM... a Quarantine Survivor, a collection of my COVID-coping blog posts, which is a fundraiser for a local food bank. Both are up on Amazon - check 'em out!

My husband is Beta One. In addition to cajoling me and molding my writing to perfection, he's gardened and done home repair projects.

"These are the days of our COVID lives..."

mshatch said...

I chose Ursula LeGuin and Stephen King for my beta partners. I like Brandon Sanderson, too :)

Have you seen The Expanse? Umbrella Academy 2?

Loni Townsend said...

I considered Brandon Sanderson for my list, but ended up going with someone else. Great choice though.

And I hope the little one does well in pre-school. I'm looking at schooling for my kids with a bit of a wild-eye stare.

Judy Ann Davis said...

I don't want to wish my life away, but 2020 is not my best cup of tea. I have two grandsons (corona babies) born in May and August in South Carolina and Alaska, and I thank my lucky stars for Skype so, at least, I can see them. Thank you for sharing your coping skills. Nice post.

messymimi said...

Having a famous person like that reading my stuff would scare my socks off!

Fundy Blue said...

Hi, Susan! This self-isolating time has been difficult for me. My entire family lives outside the US, so I can only contact them by phone. Thank goodness for FaceTime. Ditto for my husband's family, although we've been able to see his sister who lives about two hours away ~ once. What an exciting time for your granddaughter. I have a great niece the same age. She will have lots of adventures, and younger kids largely do well with not getting seriously ill with the Covid virus. I'm mostly content being at home and grateful for the fact that I can. I desperately miss traveling, but if that's my biggest trial, I am very lucky! All the best to you as we go forward with life and writing in September!

Pat Hatt said...

I'd be so paranoid sending any kid anywhere these days.

I finished the boys last week, wasn't too bad. I'll be watching season 2 too.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susan - your granddaughter will love her new life - I just wish her and you all the best - we'll get through these times and she'll be writing about them as history ... seems strange to say. Stay safe and sane - Hilary