Wednesday, September 1, 2021

IWSG: September 2022

 


Welcome to the last quarter of 2021 and the first Wednesday of the month's bloghop, IWSG. Thanks to Alex J. Cavanaugh and the entire IWSG staff for this amazing group of supportive writers. I feel so grateful and fortunate to be part of IWSG. Find the entire group of participants here.

This month's optional question:

How do you define success as a writer? Is it holding your book in your hand? Having a short story published? Making a certain amount of income from your writing?

What a question. I've been so busy lately, I've had little time to reflect on where I am in my own career. I always get a little thrill holding one of my books in my hands. I've had some financial success, but it's an up and down thing. I certainly couldn't live on what I make writing. I feel successful when I actually feel like a writer. When I'm submitting work even if it results in a rejection. When I working on changes from an editor. Those writer-ly things. This blog hop makes me feel like part of a community of serious writers. Am I successful? I would say moderately so, but I'm not sure where I should set the mark. When one of my books becomes a Netflix show? I count Nancy Springer as a successful writer friend. She writes the Enola Holmes series, has her Netflix show, but I know she keeps plugging away at the next book. We all keep on going and that's how we become successful.

"He conquers who endures." Italian Proverb

On to more business, my daughter is back from Jordan, thanks for all your wishes and prayers, but she's still in Boston. I'll be seeing her over Labor Day.

My husband is excited for the start of football season on all levels. Watching our son coach high school, cheering on Penn State, and watching Pro teams to cheer for his fantasy players. If not for Football, I would see no reason to have TV beyond streaming services at all.  I think all I watch on the screen are shows I've watched before. Background noise, mostly.

I pray the world stays open as the fall moves in with winter on its tail. I don't mind wearing a mask if it means the kids get to go to school and we can shop in stores.

I'm still indulging in not having to mow grass and no leaves to rake later this month. My granddaughter is keeping me busy and challenged. She keeps my mind young, but I'm not sure about the body keeping up with all that energy. We've been spending hours swimming, but it will be too cold for that soon.

Wish you all good books to read and flowing words to put on the page.

"The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money." Thomas Jefferson

Are you feeling successful in your career be it writing or other business? Are you watching something good or reading something great? Please share. 






33 comments:

Liza said...

Oh my. I forgot you moved. Your comment about leaves made me cringe. As writers, as long as we move forward in some regard we are successful.

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,
I like your answer because that's what I feel. I feel successful when I'm writing. Whether I get an acceptance or rejection, I feel my best when I'm writing. To know that I can write, that I am creative is one of the best things that has happened to me.
All the best.
Shalom aleichem

T. Powell Coltrin said...

You are a pleasure to know (through blogging)! I consider you a success. And sounds like you're enjoying your family time.

Teresa

Natalie Aguirre said...

Defining success by doing the things writers are supposed to do, like write and submit, are good ways to measure our success. So glad your daughter is home. Enjoy your visit with her.

Laur said...

You asked, so I'll tell you. I'm listening to the audiobook of Steven R. Lawhead's Bright Empires series. I had listened to *The Skin Map* a while back. Audible offered a deal: the series for one credit. As we Minnesotans say, "Heck of a deal." It's almost 32 hours of listening. I listened to *The Skin Map* over again to get back into the series. The first chapter is hilarious, "All the social prospects of a garden gnome."

Rachna Chhabria said...

Success as a writer is like a see-saw, sometimes up and sometimes down. Holding our book/s in our hands is an unexplainable joy.

Nick Wilford said...

That's a great way to look at it - as long as you keep moving forward, every small step is a success. We can all have big dreams but a lot of success in being a writer is hanging in there and keeping at it every day.

cleemckenzie said...

Those Italians nailed it. If you stop pursuing your dreams, you're guaranteed not to succeed.

M.J. Fifield said...

I don't feel like a particularly successful writer, but I'm going to keep going anyway.

TV is often just background noise for me, too.

Tyrean Martinson said...

It sounds like life is full and wonderful for you and your family, and that is wonderful! I wish you writing success, words coming at the right times, and all good things. Happy Fall.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I love how leaves look but not how they blow around and fill the flowerbeds.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I really feel like a writer when I'm at the keyboard more than any other time. I keep my published books within sight.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I'm so glad to be a point in my life when I can have time to write and still enjoy the family

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I have fallen behind on writing and submitting the past few months. A writing group is taking up all my time.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I've read Lawhead in the past but not recently. Thank you for the recommendation.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

It is up and down. Had a few downs recently. Sigh...

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad your daughter came back safe!
Still not watching football. When the league makes no money, they'll figure out why people aren't watching anymore.

Fundy Blue said...

That Italian quote is spot on! I hope that the world stays open too, Susan. This has been a long, hard go during the pandemic. I'm wearing my mask in most indoor spaces away from home, and I'm happy to do it. Anything to get us through this! Happy writing in September!

Fundy Blue said...

That Italian quote is spot on! I hope that the world stays open too, Susan. This has been a long, hard go during the pandemic. I'm wearing my mask in most indoor spaces away from home, and I'm happy to do it. Anything to get us through this! Happy writing in September!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I comfort myself that small steps are better than no steps.

Karen Lynn said...

You're having a successful **life**, clearly. Lots of stuff going on. Happy IWSG Day!

Jemi Fraser said...

Life sounds warm and full - love it!
Success is such a flexible concept. For me, it boils down to: am I having fun? Yes! Success!

messymimi said...

It sounds like you are staying very busy, a grandchild will do that.

Shannon Lawrence said...

If we're still plugging along, we're succeeding. It's not an easy profession. Glad your daughter is safely in the States!

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

In regards to reading, I recently read and loved Samantha Downing's FOR YOUR OWN GOOD - so crazy! Right now, I'm in the middle of and thoroughly enjoying Sandra Brown's BLIND TIGER.

Christine Rains said...

Wonderful to hear your daughter is home and you're enjoying time with your granddaughter. :) I agree success is constantly pushing forward. We might only get a step or two at times, but that is still admirable.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm really hoping we stay open, too.

No matter what the level of success, there is always another level above it to attain, which is why we keep after it.

Sandra Cox said...

So you know the writer of the Enola Holmes serious. That's pretty cool:)
Wishing you flowing words too;)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susan - so pleased your daughter is back from Jordan ... she's experienced so many interesting parts of the world. Enjoy Labour Day weekend - sooooooon! So pleased no more leaves - but equally so pleased your granddaughter is able to share her days with you. Take care and all the best - Hilary

Gwen Gardner said...

I could do without cable and just stream, but my hubs has to have his boxing on ESPN and Showtime. LOL. Sounds like you're pretty busy with family and such. Good for you!

Michael Di Gesu said...

You have a nice balance of career and family, Susan... you certainly are a success...

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

"I feel successful when I actually feel like a writer." That's a great way to definite it. I love it! It's so true.

Lori said...

I love the comment about "writerly" things. You are so right! Just writing and posting a blog has made a big difference in getting me back to feeling like a "real" writer.

Enjoy the fall!