Wednesday, February 2, 2022

IWSG: February 2022

 


Hope you're joining me to read all the great posts for this month's IWSG blog hop. As usual, thank you to the founder, Alex J. Cavanaugh, and all the IWSG admins for doing so much work to keep this group growing and vibrant.  Please check out the entire list of bloggers.

Today's optional question:

Is there someone who supported or influenced you that perhaps isn't around anymore? Anyone you miss?

Jo Wake, my friend who I never met in person. She beta-read my work and mentored me on use of my Instapot. I still cry a little as I write this. I will never forget her. She loved reading and learning new things. She loved to cook. She's was one tough old-bird. Since I'm fast approaching the old-bird stage, I hope I'll remain as sharp and active as Jo was. I admired her so much and I know many others did also.

"To love abundantly is to live abundantly, and to love forever is to live forever."  Henry Drummond

Another influence for me was my father. He actually died on this date 28 years ago as a relatively young man. He loved to read and was mostly self-educated. He kept a dictionary beside his chair to look up words. His vocabulary was amazing. He dropped out of high school to join the army and fight in WW II. After he retired, he read book after book and turned a bedroom into his library. All non-fiction. I think I caught my love of reading and learning from him.

"The mind once enlightened cannot again become dark."  Thomas Paine

I didn't Jeremy personally, but I have two of his tee-shirts. He was a very creative guy and the world is poorer for his loss. I'm going to check out some more of them.

I've been reading a lot and writing a little. I need to even those out a little. Preparing for the Pennwriters Annual Conference being held in May has been consuming all my screen time. If you ever attend a conference, spare a thought for all the work that went into making it happen and run smoothly.

The Expanse ended its run after six seasons on Prime, but there's still story to tell. I would love for them to have a season to finish all the story told in the books. Peacemaker on HBO Max is hilarious and a little bit obscene. I'm also really enjoying 1883 on Paramount. It's gritty and entertaining.

Have you had someone influence your writing? Have any writing events in your future? Watching anything good?



20 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susan - Jo was a great friend to many of us wasn't she - and you've reminded us about her. While your father sounds a delight - so encouraging to know people can motivate us long after they've gone.

I can believe you re Conferences ... it's the behind scenes work that really greases the works ... all the best - Hilary

Liza said...

It is so hard to have lost those who touched us so much and yet, how lucky we are to have had their influence.

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,
I love the quote, because it is true. To love abundantly is to live abundantly. It's a joy to meet people with big hearts.

Shalom aleichem,
Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

nashvillecats2 said...

Wonderful post Susan, lovely to have the support.Also wonderful words about Jeremy.
Hope you are well and safe.
Yvonne.

Natalie Aguirre said...

That's great that your friend was so supportive and that you were close even though you never met. And how cool that your dad read so much and made a bedroom into a library.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I feel very fortunate I got to meet Jo on one of her trips to NC. That was at least ten years ago.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

I'm so sorry about the passing of your dad, Susan. I lost mine 38 years ago and it still hurts bad. Glad he passed along his love of books.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Jo Wake sounds like a wonderful person, so glad that you had her in your life.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

He kept a dictionary by his chair - smart man.
I miss Jo. Grandma Dragon we called her.

Melissa said...

I feel bad that I didn't mention Jo in my post. She was part of a goal group with me, but she was more of a blogger than a writer. She was special, and our group misses her.

Loni Townsend said...

Sorry to hear you lost your father so early. I never got to know Jo Wake, but from the number of people she's impacted, I can tell she was an incredible person.

cleemckenzie said...

I remember Jo. It's interesting how we can support each other and yet never meet in person.

Jemi Fraser said...

Jo was terrific - I didn't know her well but we had several interactions and she was lovely!
Your dad sounds like mine in several ways. We got him a library card for a retirement gift. He found fiction for the first time - he liked spy/political thrillers. He started at A in the library and got to L before he died.

Fundy Blue said...

Jo sounds like a truly special person! And your dad! One of so many heroes who fought in WW II. I love that he retired to turn a bedroom into a library. Thank you for sharing!

Pat Hatt said...

A dictionary near is the way to keep the words flowing indeed. Sure some wonderful bloggers lost.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Whether we meet people in person or not, we are blessed by their impact on our lives.

Nick Wilford said...

You're lucky to have had such a great mentor in Jo and an inspiration for learning from your father. I'm sure both are fondly remembered.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Jo used to praise your work. I miss her so much. I have several emails saved in a file. I read them now and again. She was an inspiration. I think of her when I find myself being a whiner. I just finished my first manuscript that has no Jo input. Sigh.

Gwen Gardner said...

I didn't "know" Jo or Jeremy, but we ran in the same circles so both names are very familiar to me. God rest their souls <
We didn't have books in our house when I was growing up, so I haunted the library--so lucky to have your dad, and what an inspiration that you followed his lead.

Sherry Ellis said...

Jo sounds like a great lady. I'm glad you had her influence in your life.