Wednesday, June 1, 2022

IWSG: June 2022

 


Time is jetting past me. Here it is, June already and it's time for the monthly IWSG blog hop. I hope you'll join us for lots of info and sharing of joy and grief of being in the writing field. Thanks to our founder, Alex J. Cavanaugh, IWSG is going strong. Find all the blog hop participants here.

This month's question:

When the going gets tough writing the story, how do you keep yourself writing to the end? If you have not started the writing yet, why do you think that is and what do you think could help you find your groove and start?

Tough to answer. It depends on what the 'tough' part is. Recently, as I whined about in this group, I've been unbelievably busy because I was a coordinator for a writers' conference. The desire to write was here but not the time. The conference was a big success and is finally over so I'm happy to report, that I'm back to writing. 

There have been times when I've been emotionally spent and not able to write, but they've passed. We all have those days, months, and even years. Attending events such as the above-mentioned conference is always good for my motivation. Sometimes, reading a favorite author is what does it. I don't think there is one good answer that works for every writer and in every situation.

"Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent." Marilyn Von Savant

The new season of Stanger Things entertained but parts of it moved really slow. That show is always more interesting when all the characters are together in their fight against the Upside Down. I really like Halo. I never played the video game so I had no expectations. Dr. Strange was okay but nothing exceptional. I found the second season of Picard disappointing. The Boys returns with a new season on Amazon in a few days. That show is so violent and crazy that I can't look away.

I love the heat of summer. I hope you all have a pool to cool off in when the temperatures rise. Having moved into a townhouse, I'm thrilled to not have to worry about the lawn or the flower beds. I have a lovely porch to sit on while I read. I have a few short trips planned for the next few months. Can't wait to get away. (If I can afford the fuel)

What gets you over the hump or back in the game when the muse is hiding from you? Any plans for summer vacations? Do you like the heat? Read or watch anything interesting lately?

"You can't wait for inspiration. Sometimes you have to go after it with a club." Jack London






15 comments:

Liza said...

When I'm struggling I give myself time to think, or do a huge word dump, stream of conscious writing and see what comes out. I love summer, love the beach, a pool, being on a boat, anything to celebrate a season that is way to short where I live, which is why it is special. I just read This Tender Land, by William Kent Krueger. Liked it a lot. Have a good month, Susan.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Someone else used the Jack London quote in their post. I really like it. I agree that knowing that the times when we can't write for some reason, like being too busy with something else, will pass helps us get through the hard times.

I'm looing forward to watching Stranger Things.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Good to hear the conference was a success. I'd have to say I've gone years without writing due to other obligations.

Melissa said...

"The desire to write was here but not the time."
I struggle with that a LOT.
Love the quote. I will never give up. I'm determined to revive my author biz.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi Susan, sometimes though I want to write but there are too many other things vying for my time and attention. I envy you the porch :)

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi Susan, many times I have the desire to write but things are vying for my time and attention, so during that time no writing gets done. I envy you your porch :)

Nick Wilford said...

Glad you're writing again and that the conference was inspiring despite taking up a large portion of time. Congrats on the move too. We're taking the grandchild on a caravan holiday next month. Quite low key, but staycations are in, especially as all British flights seem to be getting cancelled.

cleemckenzie said...

What a perfect quote!

Diane Burton said...

The Jack London quote is right on target. Congrats on getting through the conference. Very hard work.

Loni Townsend said...

Though I haven't watched Stranger Things, I had similar reactions to your other media choices. My husband played Halo, so I quizzed him a lot on the similarities and differences between the show and game. I'm glad it was renewed for a second season.

Hope life calms down for you enough to enjoy it!

Jemi Fraser said...

Love the von Savant quote - it's so true. Thankfully, I'm mostly too stubborn to give up on anything I really want!

Fundy Blue said...

Coordinating a conference is always challenging, Susan! Well done, and it's nice to hear that you're back to writing. I live in a townhouse too, and I love not having to worry about a yard. No dips in a pool yet. It's been too cold. I had to turn the furnace on this morning to take the chill off the house. Have fun on your summer trips. I'm going to Nova Scotia to see two of my sisters I haven't been able to see since the beginning of the pandemic ~ One has Covid right now. I am looking forward to multiple hugs.

messymimi said...

We have our one summer vacation coming up soon, but mostly summer is just the same as the rest of the year, only too hot!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susan - enjoy your porch and reading time - especially now your conference is over - well done on organising that successfully. The Jack London quote is quite apt ... cheers Hilary

Michelle Wallace said...

I love those quotes!
Prompt writing always gets my creative juices flowing...