Wednesday, August 3, 2022

IWSG: August 2022

 


It's time once again for the monthly meeting of the IWSG. Thank you to the IWSG admins and our founder, Alex J. Cavanaugh, for starting this group where writers can support each other in victory and setbacks. Find the entire list here.

This month's optional question:  When you set out to write a story, do you try to be more original or do you try to give readers what they want?

I always try to make the story what I want it to be. But in my writing persona, Susan Kelley, where I write romance I do have to follow some reader expectations. In order to be called a romance, a novel must have a HEA, Happily Ever After. If it doesn't have that, it's not a romance. Romance readers expect that and you want them to come back for more.

In my fantasy novels, I also make sure there is a 'hero's journey' which is the expectation. There are endless ways to make that journey interesting. 

I've been putting the hours in at my keyboard and have written thousands of words in the past month. It's nice to be back at it.

I'm enjoying the first full summer in my new townhouse where I don't have to do any outside work in this heat. I can do my daily walk and then enjoy the pool. I feel so pampered. I've read a lot of books and enjoyed numerous jigsaw puzzles during the hours I would have been sweating outside. 

"To desire nothing beyond what you have is surely happiness." Carleton Mitchell

Summer is a busy social month for us. Lots of anniversaries, birthdays, and this year, my daughter's wedding reception and my step-granddaughter's graduation. It's so nice to get together though I've had enough party food and drink for a while.

I feel bad for families with teenagers when they have to grocery shop. I know how much teenagers eat and I'm not sure how they can afford food. My husband and I are old enough that we don't eat large quantities, but it still is a shock each time I shop. Hope you're all doing okay and managing.

Do you write toward trends or what is currently 'in' or do you do your own thing? Are you staying cool in the heat of summer? Have you any TV or book recommendations?



13 comments:

Liza said...

Congratulations on your daughter's wedding! Your condo life sounds amazing. In drought conditions, I am up at 5:45 watering by hand what I can. It's pretty brown around here! I like that idea of floating in the pool instead!

Anonymous said...

I, too, have busy summers with hosting three birthdays. It's worth it. Hot weather here in MO has been depressing, but this too shall pass. I read trends but normally don't write them.

Teresa - T. Powell Writes @ https://journalingwoman.blogspot.com

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Teenagers have hollow legs - that's how they can eat so much.

It's just the two of us and I'm also shocked how much our grocery bill is now. 8% my foot - ours went from $110 to $170 between Sept. and now.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I think you do have to write for readers in romance and fantasy. I do to an extent in my fantasy stories too. I'm envious that you don't have any lawn work this summer. I can't get to all of mine.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Enjoy all the festivities!

Staying as cool as I can. :)

I have a few book/TV recommendations over on my blog.

Nick Wilford said...

It's interesting to think about certain things that are expected, like the HEA. It's like they are so ingrained that we almost don't think about them. But within that basic framework, there's still room to be creative and write something unique to us.

C. Lee McKenzie said...

I bought one tomato, a head of lettuce and a quart of milk the other day. Let's just say that $10 doesn't do what it used to do.

Loni Townsend said...

When I first started writing, I didn't even pursue traditional publishing because I didn't want to be steered toward writing what's "in". I suppose that worked out for me anyway, since I suck at meeting deadlines too!

Olga Godim said...

I always comply with the genre expectations. I write speculative fiction, and if I don't give the readers some sci-fi or fantasy context, I'll lose them. The originality comes in the plot twist or characters' problem solving technique.

Damyanti Biswas said...

I wrote about how it works for me. Having my first draft written for myself and then editing it to cater to my readers. I feel like both perspectives are important.

Sandra Cox said...

Sounds like things are busy but good. We experience the same at the grocery store. Ack.

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan... MAN can I relate to the sweating and putting is all those hours in the garden. I have only had my house for three years, and in that time, I have spent countless hours and DOLLARS creating my gardens. There wasn't much to start with, so I had to put in tons of landscaping: trees, perennials, shrubs, patios, and I had to redo the side porch. UGH. I have one side left to complete which is like eighty feet long. Ugh. Creating flower beds is a TON of work especially with the heat this summer... not to mention the WATERING. Glad you are enjoying this summer with so much free time. And yes, food bills are INSANE!

Congrats on writing again. It is always fun to start new projects!

messymimi said...

It's nice to see your post and catch up a bit. Enjoy your townhome and writing, and congratulations on all the family events!