Wednesday, February 1, 2023

IWSG: February 2023

 


We're here already. Thank you to all the admins of the IWSG and our founder Alex J. Cavanaugh for this amazing group of writers. Hope you're here to share woes and victories. Find the list of participants here.

This month's optional question:

If you are an Indie author, do you make your own covers or purchase them? If you publish trad, how much input do you have about what goes on your cover?

If you read my last post, you know the small press I've been with for around 15 years closed their doors at the end of 2022. Suddenly, I have 28 homeless books that had already been published. I also had a three book epic fantasy series that had been contracted by another publisher who closed their doors a few years ago. I wasn't sure what to do.

I hate designing covers but I found a person to partner with me. We've started to get some of my work back on the market. And now I have full control over my covers though I'm always open to the recommendations of my partners. My previous publisher was very good about asking for my thoughts and then trying to bring my stories to life with a great cover. No complaints.

It's great to be back to writing though I'm mostly editing right now. I feel really good about it all. I'm also keeping busy helping set up the registration for the 2023 Annual Pennwriters Conference that will be held in Pittsburgh in May this year. I'll let you know when registration is open.

I've been so busy and it's wonderful. 

"Either you run the day or the day runs you." Jim Rohn

I've been enjoying the new show, Will Trent, based on the book series by Karin Slaughter. The show isn't near as dark as the novels which I like. The Last of Us is holding my interest also. Otherwise, not much happening. Give me some recommendations, please.

I feel like I'm in the best place as far as my writing that I have been for a while. I hope it is the same for you.

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." Henry David Thoreau

Do you get a say in your covers? Do you have a favorite style of cover or least favorite? Are you following or living your dream?





16 comments:

Liza said...

So glad you are feeling good about your writing. In the end, that's the piece that matters.

Kyra Lennon said...

It must be really stressful trying to make that many new covers! I wish you the best of luck!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Publishers do close shop but that's awful you lost so many books. I'm happy you found a cover artist to work with and can re-release those books.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

So glad to hear you're in the "best place" writing-wise again! And love that Jim Rohn quote. :)

Natalie Aguirre said...

It's great that you're in such a good space with your writing and have a cover artist you like working with. I'll have to check out Will Trent. Thanks for the recommendation.

Bish Denham said...

To have your publisher close...I can't even imagine what that was like. Good for you for moving ahead and taking control!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you are coming along great with your new covers and edits.
Have you watched The Rig?

H. R. Sinclair said...

That is great news! I'm glad you found a solution. It's all in your hands now. Is that weird?

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I've thought about it. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give it a try.

Computer Tutor said...

That closing their doors thing--it's on my list of reasons why I'm happy to be an Indie. What a mess that must be!

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Your good news is good news to the ears, Susan. I'm happy for you. Looking forward to where this enthusiasm and blessings take you.

Gwen Gardner said...

That is so awesome that you're in such a good place. Just keep moving forward, right?

Fundy Blue said...

You have a lot on your plate, Susan. I'm wishing you a lot of energy. I really enjoyed the series "Wednesday" on Netflix. There is so much good content available on tv now. Have a great month!

messymimi said...

I'm glad you're finding ways to get your books back out there, and hope you continue to do so!

Steph W. said...

Personally, I like a simple cover, one that does not give away too much. But then there are some pretty good ones that are iconic. I know some authors re-cover regularly which is interesting to me.

Diane Burton said...

So sorry that your publisher closed. That's hard. But you sound like you're moving ahead and not letting it get you down. WTG