Wednesday, May 3, 2023

IWSG: May 2023

 


I can't believe I missed last month. I believe it was the only time I've missed. I'm not sure why I'm busier ever when I'm 'retired.'

But welcome to my post for IWSG. Thank you to Alex J. Cavanaugh and all the admins for the this amazing group. Find the entire list of blog posts here.

This month's optional question: When you are working on a story, what inspires you?

I'm inspired by lots of things. Reading a good book. Hearing about one of my writer friend's success. Sometimes watching a good show or movie. Visiting a bookstore or library. Attending a conference or any writing event such as a book signing. With all that inspiration, you would think I would get more writing done each day.

I have been getting some writing done. About 6K words in April. Still, slower than I'd like. And I have a conference coming up in about two weeks that will inspire me further. Had some work done of our home so that was disruptive and distracting and a few more events coming in May that will slow me down. I'm already collecting my excuses so they're ready to go. Hopefully, June will bring some peace and quiet at the old homestead.

"He is happiest, be he king or peasant, who finds peace in his home." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

So little to watch on TV. I have enjoyed Will Trent in its debut season. The Last of Us was good considering I am completely ignorant about the video game it was based on. I'm going to watch Amazon's newest The Citadel but I haven't started it yet. The Mandalorian was disappointing but I have hope for next season.

I hope the spring season is filling you all with warmth and inspiration. 

What inspires you? Are you getting some writing done? What is your biggest distraction?




9 comments:

Liza said...

Like you, I will be doing some work on my home. Now I'm in the planning process and I actually find that creative. Lots of "what-iffing" going on in my life right now!

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I still think 6K words in April are awesome! My writing is going two steps forward, one step back. Sigh.

We enjoyed The Night Agent on Netflix.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I'm a slow writer so writing 6k in a month sounds great to me. And having work done at your house can make it harder to concentrate. You're doing good. Have a good writing month in May.

cleemckenzie said...

Reading someone else's writing is always a boost.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Have you watched Mare of Easttown? Strong writing. There's also Black Snow, Alaska Daily, and Perry Mason. Happy IWSG Day, Susan.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hope June is quieter for you.
The Citadel is all right. A little generic, but enjoyable.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

No writing but lots of editing on the final books in my series.

messymimi said...

I'm glad you're getting so much done, writing and otherwise. Inspiration can come from anywhere, i just try to keep my eyes and ears open.

Nick Wilford said...

We have an exceptionally large amount of trips planned this year. Or maybe it just seems that way, obviously given how quiet the last few years have been. Hoping to keep writing around it all!