Saturday, December 31, 2011

Thou Shall Not Resolve!

I've never really made a New Year's resolution and 2012 will be no different.  But despite the rumor the world is going to end before 2013 rolls around, I do have some goals.  Some are personal and I'll keep those to myself.  I'm a pretty self-motivated person so I don't need to post them to the public to keep myself going.

But by talking about my writing goals I know I'll get some good advice and encouragement from my wonderful readers.  Perhaps one of my goals will even strike a spark and influence someone else's plans.

My writing goals are few and simple.  One is promote more.  Two is polish up books #3 and #4 of my Futhark Chronicles and get them up and for sale.  Three is find a home for the first book in my second epic fantasy series, The Dragons of Morbunda, or publish it myself. If I get to all that, I intend to complete a new romance book for my publisher, New Concepts. 

I read somewhere, that goals are things you work for and dreams are things you wish for.  Well, in the dream category, I hope to attend the Pennwriters Conference this year.  I hope to develop a steady income with my self-published books even if it's a small amount. I wish to get a new laptop and maybe even an iPad.

So are you making resolutions? Goals? Or having dreams? What does 2012 hold for you if the world doesn't end?
Happy New Year!

11 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've never made resolutions either, just goals. And they say goals are dreams with a deadline.
Hope that iPad dream comes true though!
I plan to have my third book finished by Summer.
Happy New Year, Susan!

M.J. Fifield said...

I set goals more than resolutions at the start of every year but I usually do make one really easy fun one like, "eat more donuts" just so I can be sure I have some success. Cheating, maybe, but I like it.

I had six goals last year and accomplished five of them. Not exactly sure what's on the docket for 2012 but that's tomorrow's problem.

Happy New Year!

Sarah McCabe said...

I think the real problem is that most people's resolutions are really just dreams or vague goals. A resolution is something that you have a strong determination and purpose to do. It's stronger than a goal, I think. But like a goal it still has to be something within your control or its just wishful thinking.

I think making resolutions is a good thing, but only if you actually understand what it means and aren't just making a long term to do list.

Talei said...

*snap* So glad, I'm not the only one not making resolutions this year.

Good luck with your writing goals! And wishing you a wonderful 2012!

jan said...

If I knew for a fact that the world would end in 2012...I'd have to learn to write alot faster! Have a hopeful New Year.

Golden Eagle said...

I'm making goals; though sometimes I'll include a resolution.

Happy New Year!

The Happy Whisk said...

In answer to your comment on my writing desk. I'm with you. I like the wide open space on the desk, as well.

Hope you have a great 2012.

Cheers.

Christine Rains said...

I made some goals for myself, but I won't be overly upset if I don't make them. With a toddler, lots of unexpected things pop up and I just have to go with the flow.

Happy New Year!

Old Kitty said...

I like that your writerly goals are most do-able and I know you will achieve these and more! May your 2012 be most amazing - may your dreams and wishes all come true! Take care
x

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Thanks, old Kitty.
Christine, I remember trying to write around chasing the little ones.
Thanks everyone for your good wishes.

Cathy said...

I hope that all of your dreams come true in 2012. Thanks for stopping by my blog.