Monday, August 13, 2012

Suspension

When a reader sits down with a fantasy or science fiction  novel, they can only enjoy if they can imagine it could be real. In my next epic fantasy series, I want my readers to believe in dragons. In my last fantasy series, I needed my readers to believe in elves, demons and magic. In the more recent science fiction novels I read, I accepted space travel and wormholes as future possibilities. The books are much more enjoyable when we can suspend reality for a little while.

But how far can a writer go before you can't accept the magic or science? Does it stretch my imagination too far to believe a person can fly? Is it too much to imagine aliens wanting our polluted planets? I guess it depends. I know enough science to be dangerous so if I read something that is scientifically implausible, I might stop reading. A vampire that sparkles in sunlight might be too outrageous for me to connect to. However, if the characters are complex enough, the plot riveting enough, it helps me suspend reality easier.

Now there are some silly things we're expected to believe. Does anyone think Superman is unrecognizable because he puts on black-rimmed glasses? Do we really think Tarzan can find a convenient vine to move across the roof of the jungle?

What movie or book as asked you to suspend reality in a way you couldn't quite accept? Anything more blatant than Clark Kent?

16 comments:

Cate Masters said...

So long as the premise is well explained, I have no difficulty suspending reality.

Tonja said...

One of my college professors called it "a temporary suspension of disbelief." If the writing is good, I can suspend disbelief.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I can suspend belief easier with a book than with a movie. Not sure why.

Anonymous said...

All the time. I usually move on as I accept there will be gaps and holes in the plot. Fight scenes are like this. In real life, one well-placed punch usually ends it.

Unknown said...

Give me a few WOW moments, those scenes that make me smile like a little kid upon seeing his first lightsaber, and I'll gladly suspend all disbelief in the name of entertainment.

For me, I find my suspension of disbelief falters most when the author tries too hard to justify their creation. I don't really care how a dragon could evolve, or why magic can bend the theoretical laws of physics.

Excite me, entertain me, and engage me - don't bore me with unnecessary rationalizations.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

If the characters are good, I'll believe anything.

Cecilia Robert said...

Same here. If writing is good and I can connect with the characters, I'll be happy to suspend my belief till end of the story, or series.

Christine Rains said...

Interesting topic. There's a lot of superheroes that just throw on a mask and don't get recognized. Funny how we can suspend belief in that case.

Jemi Fraser said...

The superhero disguises always made me roll my eyes - and even though I was a kid who devoured sci fi, I couldn't get into them much.

I do tend to drop books/shows/movies when they push that boundary for me. I love to imagine, but when the book doesn't follow its own rules, I'm done!

KM Nalle said...

Suspension of belief usually isn't a problem for me if the rest of the story is good - just like you said. But, it happens, and it usually makes me want to throw the book across the room. It ruins the mood.

Unknown said...

I think the suspension holds so long as there's a well crafted world with rules in lace to hold it altogether. I think magic systems are the the first to break the suspension because their mechanics are badly thought out and poorly executed. A well crafted magic system can be completely believable.

r said...

As long as there are reasons for what is happening, I can suspend reality. I think it helps that I WANT to.

Unknown said...

The desire to step outside of my reality, into another, is what makes reading/movie watching fun. As always, it's all about the writing.

Cherie Reich said...

I'm with you about the Clark Kent thing.

But I have a tendency to believe anything is possible until proven otherwise. :)

Lynn Proctor said...

i do have a limit on my capacity to be involved in a story if it is just too out there for me :)

Catherine Stine said...

Yeah, come to think of it, putting on a pair of big black-rimmed glasses seems like a really shoddy disguise. How come I never really questioned it when I was reading all of those comics way back when?!
It's a writer's job to make us believe, however strange the premise!
Catherine Stine’s Idea City