Tuesday, December 25, 2012

I'm Rich

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate. I hope everyone is enjoying their holiday. I know lots of people take some blogging time off during this week or so of busy, wonderful days. I'm posting now during a little down time in the afternoon. My boys are busy playing their new video games. My husband is grabbing  a nap as is my daughter. My stepsons will stop by later to share a little more Christmas joy with us.

My husband and children showered me with many gifts. That new camera I'm trying to get the hang off, new warm slippers, and gift cards for some clothing, books and iTunes. Enough to keep me busy for many days to come. But that isn't why I feel rich today.

Yesterday and this morning, I had the pleasure of watching my children open their gifts. Each of them found a surprise of something they wished for but would never have asked for because of the price. Their delight continues even now, hours later. Then they urged me to open my gifts from them. Beneath the wrapping paper, I found exactly what I would have wished for. They were thoughtful and knowledgable in their selections for me and my husband. I'm not sure I have ever felt so proud of them as I realized they were enjoying the giving more than the receiving. Yes, today I am rich in having my family around and knowing they've grown into compassionate, mature adults.

As they enjoy their gifts, they make many trips to the kitchen where the leftovers from yesterday's feast are waiting. I'm grateful for the abundance of healthy food, the warm house to enjoy it in and the comforts of living in a free society.

My husband and I have worked for many years, long hours, and been thrifty when considering any luxury items. Today, I feel rich for what we've achieved, the children we've raised and the comforts we have. I wish the same things for all my friends.

Merry Christmas.

18 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

Allow me to add to your gifts. You won a free ebook from my back list when you left a comment on one of the DIY Christmas posts.

Merry Christmas. Email me when you've made your choice and I'll send it asap.

Merry Christmas.

Kerrie said...

Merry Christmas Susan! I hope that your Christmas will be enjoyable and may the essence of Christmas remain with you always.

dolorah said...

Merry Christmas Susan. Its so fun watching the little ones enjoy the spirit of Christmas :)

......dhole

Jeremy Bates said...

Indeed, when compared to many around the world, we are rich even without gifts. I am glad you enjoyed your gifts, the giving and being with family. Cheers!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Thank you all for the wishes.
I don't know how to pick, Maria. I'll get back to you.

The Happy Whisk said...

Rich, indeed.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sounds like the perfect day.

Tonja said...

Merry Christmas to you too. :)

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I've never felt rich, but I do feel fortunate that at least I have moderate health and have lived as long as I have. It's a good reminder to be appreciative of what we have because we can always find someone who has been screwed over by life more than us.

Golden Eagle said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Tamara said...

Your Christmas sounds very similar to mine. Had the same experiences with my kids and it was awesome. Today is being spent playing video games and relaxing. Glad you had such an awesome Christmas and hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday season!

Michelle Wallace said...

Sounds like you had a blessed Christmas.
I hope you have an equally wonderful New Year!

Cate Masters said...

No better gifts than that. Merry Christmas Susan!

momto8 said...

good for you!! sounds like a great time with family!!!
enjoy enjoy..

T. M. Crone said...

Hope your holiday continues to be blessed.

Unknown said...

Sounds beautiful

Christine Rains said...

That's wonderful! Glad you had a merry Christmas. Have a fantastic new year!

Lynn Proctor said...

i am so happy you had such a special day and season :)