Monday, December 3, 2012

First for Mondays

I read somewhere that this is a special December with five weekends though that also means five Mondays. The good news is that I will have two of them off from the day job. The bad news is the other three. At the least, I have lots to talk about on this first Monday.

With the holiday season comes lots of gatherings with friends, families and coworkers. It also means lots of food, delicious, fun, fattening food. It's very difficult to avoid and refuse all the wonderfulness. So my first Monday health tip is to not refuse it. Instead of being strict about what you eat, try policing your portion size. You can even help yourself with your own baking. Make your cookies smaller. Cut those holiday marshmallow treats into tiny squares. Use smaller plates and even smaller cups for your sweet holiday drinks. And then cut yourself off early in the evening. Eating late can really ruin your weight management goals.

Onto other great things about this first Monday. Today, Lynda R. Young, announces her release of the anthology, Make Believe. Lynda's book can be purchased at this link. And read this short blurb:

Birthright by Lynda R. Young
Christa can mask the pain and hide the scars, but running from a birthright is impossible.

She’s tried to escape her grief by fleeing to a small town in Florida. Much to her frustration, the locals think they recognize her even though she's never been there before. To make things worse, a man named Jack spouts outrageous theories about her.

Both spur Christa to bolt, to start fresh yet again, but there’s something about Jack that intrigues her enough to stay. The only problem? Someone else wants her to leave, and they won’t stop until she’s dead.


Blurbs from all the stories included in Make Believe can be found on the J. Taylor Publishing website HERE.

Read an excerpt here. You can also read the excerpts from all the stories in this series here.

So, how are you going to watch your caloric intake this holiday? Or do you throw caution to the wind and enjoy the feasting and work it off after? Did you go check out Lynda's book?

11 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

The book's cover is gorgeous.

We don't go crazy over the holidays, but we do relax our eating habits and then get back on track in January.

M.J. Fifield said...

My mother makes homemade chocolates, cookies and fudge every holiday season and that's all before the actual holiday itself. I don't watch my caloric intake this time of year. But every January I make a resolution to eat healthier. Maybe this next year will the year where I actually do that...

Bossy Betty said...

Love your health tip. I really do think smaller plates make a difference! (I am easily fooled and like it!)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Excited for Lynda!
I try not to eat anything later in the evening because it just weighs me down before bed.

Lynn Proctor said...

i guess i eat more sweets than i usually allow myself--good tips :)

Anonymous said...

I've busted out the P90X. Been a while but I know I need to get a jump on burning off the inevitable calories.

Tonja said...

I can't imagine how that cover could be better. My strategy is to add exercise this month.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Lots of different plans for watching our weight this season of temptations.
P90X, Stephen? I'm very impressed.
The anthology cover is really great, isn't it?

momto8 said...

great book cover!!
i was at a breakfast with friends this morning and have a Christmas party tonight...way too many delicious looking cookies around and all in one day!...I had fruit this morning and tried to go with the banana bread haha..don't know what to expect tonight, but I am bringing more delicious looking cookies..maybe there will be a salad!!! your tips are right on point!!

David P. King said...

That looks awesomely sweet! Mondays are totally weird for me now, since I get to take them off. :)

Michelle Wallace said...

I've mentioned it a bazillion times, and I'm saying it again... I LOVE that cover picture!!