Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A to Z Blogging Challenge: I

Rolling along with the A to Z Blogging Challenge and still lots of stops to make and new friends to meet. Check out the list and you'll be sure to find a blog you want to follow.

I: Independents. The world of publishing is undergoing rapid change. I think one of the best things that has happened for writers in the number of small publishers, staffed by professionals, that are willing to look at our work. Often the small independent publishers will take a chance on a new author that the bigger houses wouldn't consider. They'll work with new writers and help them develop their careers.

I'm fortunate to work with a number of different small publishers. My romance publisher, New Concepts Publishing has been in a business for a long time and was one of the first successful ebook publishers. I can't say enough things about them. They did an excellent job on my most recent release on the cover. Like many small pubs, they have a quick turnaround from signing that contract to getting the edits done and then publishing the book. And they pay on time, every time. They're always open for submission.

Crescent Moon Press is my newest independent publisher that I'm working with on edits. I can't wait to see my cover for my upcoming epic fantasy.

As an author contracted by independent publishers, I also believe in supporting them by purchasing lots of books produced by different small houses. And I'll be doing more of it when I retire and have more time to read.

Do you buy books published by small presses? Have you ever submitted to an independent publisher?

13 comments:

Unknown said...

What an exciting time in the publishing world! It's almost like an industrial revolution! It's anyone's ball game now.

Lynn Proctor said...

i does make it much more of a reality for writers

LD Masterson said...

I think it's in every writer's best interest to support indie publishers and indie bookstores.

Mark Means said...

I have bought from small publishers before and never regretted it. Nothing wrong with being small as long as the quality is large :)

Christine London said...

I so agree with Mark's comment.
Quality is #1
I am pubbed through three different small presses and I read work from them as well as that of my Romance Writers of America colleagues. There is a treasure trove of good work out there. A novel does not have to be published via the 'Big Six' to be unforgettable.
All that said, indie publishing (self publishing) is another wonderful option for those who do not mind having complete control over their work. As with all freedom, there is responsibility inherent. One must get a smashing book cover image, edit the work to polish and format it for the medium (not everyone's cuppa tea)
This year I am personally investing in a self publishing journey--a series of short stories offered for 99 cents each, that looks into the lives of the residents of one block of Notting Hill (London) flats and their path toward what matters most--love. Each is set around a different holiday.

It is so far an incredible journey. 55 Portobello Road series will be tied up in an eight story bow by November. Maybe all in an anthology for the Holidays.

Each author's path is different, but the many publishing venues and opportunities today are awesome!

Regards,

Christine London

A-Z Challenge "I" is for Ice Cream (http://christinelondon.com/i-is-for-ice-cream )
Christine's Amazon Author Central Page: http://tinyurl.com/ccq2or8
Tweet sweet with her: https://twitter.com/ChristineLondon
Fan a FB Page of Christine-isms: http://tinyurl.com/bunvanf

Julie Flanders said...

My book was just released by a small press and I am so grateful to them for taking a chance on a totally new author like me. Great post! :)

Paula Martin said...

I'm happy to write for a small independent publisher, especially as they deal with all the 'technical' aspects of formatting etc etc that I couldn't cope with!
Visiting from the A-Z Challenge
Paula Martin

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm with a small press and very happy!

Nancy Jardine Author said...

I'm with two independents and can endorse the experience is excellent- especially as I've had the option to bot epub and have my books also available in print. I agree it is an exciting time! Nancy at Welcome to she said, he said

Sopphey Vance said...

This is really cool. I think small presses bridge the gap between self-publishing and traditional publishing. I'm particularly fond of finding the small niche presses and enjoy reading their books.

Kristen said...

This is very inspiring. It makes me want to finish my novel. I should get to it!

#atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I think this will become the norm rather than talked about exception in the very near future.

J.L. Campbell said...

I've been published by two independent publishers, so they have my full support.