Thursday, April 24, 2014

U: A to Z Blogging Challenge


Welcome to another day in the A to Z Blogging Challenge. Find the entire list here. My theme this year is world-building. Mostly I’m asking questions that I believe need to be considered whether you creating a medieval fantasy world, a science fiction story or even a contemporary novel. The ideas I present aren’t in a particular order as I had to fit them into the alphabetical order needed. And don’t forget to visit the other blog I’m part of during the A to Z Challenge over at the IWSG. Now onto your world.
We know the universe is a big place. Infinite perhaps. But do your characters know that? Is their island kingdom the extent of their known universe? Perhaps their entire lifetime is spent in the same small village and its surrounds. Are they space travelers, off seeing new galaxies each chapter? Are they venturing across an unexplored sea or mountain, expanding their universe? How big is their world?

As you create a world for your characters, remember the possibilities are unlimited. The only thing holding back your world from being unique and engaging are the limits you place on your imagination.

So is the universe infinite or is there an end out there? Have you read or written a novel that takes place in one small area?

17 comments:

Cathrina Constantine said...

World Building is very interesting.Lately I keep hearing "You have to think outside the box." Both in world building and your stories...

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Mine definitely know the universe is huge!

Stephanie Faris said...

The possibilities are unlimited...although most of the time, my characters are here on Earth!

Robin said...

One of the things I am must unhappy about with my WiP is my sense of place. I don't think that I have done a very good job conveying that and it is really crucial for the space to feel homey to the reader. So, even though my scene is right here on earth... it still needs the right touch to feel like Home.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Just finished a steampunk anthology that I'm sure if full of characters that have no real concept of the world and their place in it. Which turns out to make the story full of conflict and tension.

Pat Hatt said...

Can go anywhere indeed, as the possibilities take you all over

David P. King said...

The universe is my kind of place, that's for sure. :)

cleemckenzie said...

When I get stuck on the place I want to create, I start reading books or magazines or whatever to open my brain to all the possibilities. Unlimited is a great word for us to keep in mind.

Birgit said...

We want structure but I think, regarding the universe there is little structure in our minds as it is hard for us to comprehend such vastness.

Anonymous said...

Wow. You just made me pause for a moment. My characters only know one place in the book I just finished. I may have to change that in my next one. Thanks!

Elsie
AJ's wHooligan in the A-Z Challenge

Chrys Fey said...

The universe is a big topic in that book/series I keep talking about.

The possibilities really are unlimited. :)

Another great post. I can't wait for X. ;)

Unknown said...

Unlimited- that's what I love about being a storyteller

mshatch said...

I've written books where they characters are fully aware of the universe and its vastness and others where they have no clue what's beyond their own little world.

S.A. Larsenッ said...

So true. The worlds we create are unlimited. And even for characters whose worlds are small, confined. We can make them 'big' for them on a different scale.

Sheri at Writer's Alley

Home of Rebel Writer CREED 2014
Mighty Minion Bureau Team #atozchallenge

Nana Prah said...

I've never thought about my character's knowledge of the world outside of their own. Thanks for the insight.

Liz Blocker said...

I really like the idea of considering how characters perceive their world - whether or not they know that there's a whole universe outside, or whether they only know their tiny piece of it. Great questions.

Nicki Elson said...

I must get claustrophobic when I write because my characters always seem to take a trip at some point.