Wednesday, July 23, 2014

MDQ of the STORY

I jotted the acronym, MDQ, down in my little tablet where I keep track of possible blog topics more than two months ago. I don't think I'd ever seen the acronym used though I did know what it meant.

The Major Dramatic Question is what I've always thought of as the big plot question that the story seeks to answer. It's the goal of the protagonists, the driving force behind the action and drama leading the reader toward the end of the novel. Where the lovers end up together in the romance novel? Will the forces of good overcome evil in the fantasy novel? Will Earth's spacecraft stop the alien invasion? Will the detectives stop the bad guys in the suspense novel? Joe Bunting makes it very simple in this short article.

The reader might buy into the MDQ, after all they picked up the book because they wanted a romance, fantasy or mystery novel. But what will keep them reading and have them buying the next book are the obstacles and conflicts that prevent the MDQ from being settled until that last chapter.

Analyzing a TV show or a movie is good way to visual the MDQ and the conflicts in the way. Any police procedural show will have false leads, events that confuse or create more questions, interesting characters or settings that influence the protagonist striving for the answers to the MDQ. Inspiring curiosity in the reader is a guarantee to keep them flipping pages.

Have you ever heard the acronym, MDQ? Do you love or hate acronyms? Is there a particular TV show that does a great job of demonstrating the Major Dramatic Question? Do you see how knowing your exact MDQ can help you write a one-liner for your novel?

16 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susan .. I didn't know what MDQ meant - obvious when you think about it and you tell me - thank you!

Acronyms can be useful .. but sometimes a prompt is required, so that we can all follow along. A bit like reminding someone of your name - if you haven't seen them for a while and you've suddenly met up again.

I can totally see the usefulness for the MDQ one-liner - useful for many things .. a vicar was really saying the same thing to me last night - when he used to write sermons regularly (he's retired) ..

What a great post - cheers Hilary

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Sometimes acronyms can make a complex idea even more confusing, like this one LOL. I watch movies to learn story structure, the best way to learn and observe it in action!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I had no idea what that stood for until now. (Although I've heard the phrase.)
I think writing a one-liner is easier than the whole synopsis.

Liz Blocker said...

MDQ is new to me, but I like it. Anything that boils down the important plot points into easy-to-remember acronyms is good by me :)

Patrick Stahl said...

No; I'm okay with them; Dr. Who has a different one in each season, typically; a lot of the novels I like to read end up having several MDQ's because they have multiple POV and plot threads, but yeah, if you have a single MDQ, it'll definitely make for a great pitch.

Pat Hatt said...

Had no idea what it stood for either. Monk always did a great job of the how they did it. But most procedurals hit the same old beats that it isn't hard to guess any longer.

Crystal Collier said...

This is where I confess to never being as organized as I'd like. Until recently I didn't know what my MDQ was until I finished writing a book. I also didn't know my theme or a couple other major elements. Thankfully plotting is the answer.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

I thought it meant mad dog quandary. LOL Just kiddin. I love acronym as long as someone explains what they mean and I can remember. Our youngest is a lifer in the Army and he's constantly using acronyms. Drives his dad and I bonkers in a good way. The biggest problem is our son can't understand why we can't remember all his army acronyms. Apparently the Army now has a webpage explaining. So I looked up MDQ on the net and here's some of the explanations: Mood Disorder questionnaire, Diode-Array Detection, market driven quality, AND major dramatic question!!!

Robin said...

I thought of Game of Thrones when you posed the question. I have only read the first novel and seen the first three seasons of the show BUT I think George R.R. Martin lays out that MDQ early on. Who will win the Game of Thrones? Of course, there are sub-questions of what it will cost? Will it be worth it? And so on and so forth. He is excellent at increasing tension and conflict. Just when you think you can breathe easy, he kills off a beloved character. Yikes.

Michelle Wallace said...

I've never heard of MDQ before, and yes, I love acronyms.
... and I really need to watch movies in order to learn story structure... *sighs* I'm just NOT a movie-person.

Christine Rains said...

I've never heard of the MDQ, but I've heard the same thing as different terms like the major story problem. Like Robin, I thought of the Game of Thrones too.

Kim Van Sickler said...

Wasn't familiar with this acronym. I thought The Wire did a great job of ratcheting up the tension and creating life and death drama every single episode.

LD Masterson said...

MDQ is a new one for me but I think it will come in handy. Thanks.

The Happy Whisk said...

You know, I don't believe anyone has ever asked me if I love or hate acronyms before ...

They don't bother me, at all.

Chrys Fey said...

I never heard of MDQ. Acronyms do get confusing to me because there are so many to remember. I may have to keep a list on my computer! haha

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Susan,

INTERESTING QUESTION and topic. I never knew what MDQ meant, but keeping the reader guessing is a clue to a wonderful story.

Twists and turns create, mystery and excitement.

But some novels have more than one dramatic question so pinpointing one specifically can be hard to focus on for a one liner....