Friday, October 24, 2014

There's No Place Like Home

Thanks for all your well-wished during my recent road trip. Just a head's up to anyone traveling, I think half of the routes I traveled on had road construction. It had hours to our trip but we made it home safely. First two nights we had decent wifi but the last night left much to be desired. Actually, it left everything to be desired so I'm still playing catch up. The good news was that I wrote over 1000 words while I waited at the airport for my son to pick me up and then another 500 later that night at the hotel.

I love visiting Colorado and could enjoy living there but it is lovely to be home. My own coffee pot, favorite coffee cup, familiar pillows and reliable, fast Internet. I do love my house but I could do without PA taxes, corrupt government and the weather which is already chilly. My son loves Colorado more than I do but he's glad to be home. A few things he mentioned were a full food cupboard, our well water, and not having to be at work at 4:30 each morning to prepare for a golf tournament.

My daughter studying and working in Morocco this semester is missing home too. Not just her family but things like American food, TV, Starbucks, and the library with books written in English. Both of us love our local library and now she's gained an enhanced appreciation of it.

Some wisdom from The Old Farmer's Alamanac:
Wear mismatched socks to bring good luck.
Square or rectangular doodles indicate an organized and efficient mind.
"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." Mark Twain


I love the Serling quote above. That just about covers how I feel about the two genres I love to write and read. And there are Twilight Zone episodes that gave me nightmares as a child. He was a brilliant artist and the Twilight Zone may have been the least of it.

Doing some writing and enjoying being home this weekend. What are you up to? Isn't being home after a vacation or work trip just the best? Do you always match your socks? My daughter almost never does. Are your doodles saying something about your mind? Yes, mine are square and rectangular. Don't know what that means for me as a writer. What do you think of Serling's quote?

14 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susan - welcome back .. and it's good to know the kids are valuing their home-life (when they're there) .. but what an opportunity to live and study in Morocco; then your son with his amazing job ...

Welcome home - enjoy matched or unmatched socks ... mine usually match .. and then just relaxing .. cheers Hilary

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I'm away from home as well right now although it feels more like "going home" -- being in Utah around all our kids and our familiar surroundings, while our home now is in Guatemala. It's a very interesting sensation. What I don't miss about coming back is how expensive everything is. My husband and I will be glad to get back to our simple life but of course will miss our family, always.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Vacations and trips are fun, but getting back home is the best. Glad your trip was safe, even if the construction and WiFi sucked.

Pat Hatt said...

Yeah getting back home is sure the best indeed, makes you appreciate it all the more when you go away.

Chrys Fey said...

Welcome back home! I sure wish I could go on a road trip. Enjoy your writing time! And my doodles happen to be swirls and hearts. :)

Crystal Collier said...

I LOVE vacationing, but there's definitely no place like home. I enjoy the commotion as long as I know I can get back to my calm, sweet spot soon enough.

You remind me that when I go traveling abroad more permanently, I better be sure my kindle is stocked. =)

Unleashing the Dreamworld

The Happy Whisk said...

Getting home is always the best. Glad you made it safe and sound.

J.L. Campbell said...

You gotta love Twain's quotes, witty but true. I imagine you're catching up on all sorts of stuff having been away from home.

I'm neurotic, if I wore mismatched anything, I'd be uncomfortable the whole day.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I've mismatched my shoes before. LOL

It feels good to get back to normalcy.

dolorah said...

Always a silver lining to a cloud :) I love going away, and am always glad to be home. I miss my "stuff."

I'm hoping to be putting up decent walls and shelving in my garage this weekend. Well, I'll supervise the work my ex-hubs and our son should be doing. And writing the check, of course.

Have a good weekend Su :)

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

I agree. Serling is a genius. Twilight Zone was one of the most brilliant shows ever.

Glad you're glad to be home sweet home.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Welcome back! Homecoming is always wonderful after vacation. My kids never match their socks, my husband MUST match his socks, and I match most of mine. :)
Great quotes this week!

I'm going to a canoe and kayak race, and then hoping to have time to write a little this weekend.

Eliza March said...

Serling's definition is something to think about. I often work with each, and haven't we all seen the two occasionally mixed?

Tara Tyler said...

glad to hear you had a nice trip - there is always construction somewhere!

and excellent quotes - twain is my fave, but the serling quote is new to me and i love it! wonderful!