Monday, November 23, 2015

Thanks For All of It

There is so much to be grateful for in my life. Too often the bad things happening in the world and around us drown out the good stuff. To our family, Thanksgiving starts the holiday season at our house.

This Thursday when we're all together, we'll try to cement our Christmas plans. Not what gifts everyone would like to buy or receive, but how we can all be together in one place again. We only manage it a few times per year so we appreciate the chances we have. And we also don't look past Thanksgiving to Christmas like the retail stores do. We love that day and it's not about the delicious food though we all enjoy that too.

So this year, unlike last year, all my children will be home. Last year my daughter was in Morocco where she and her American friends baked a small chicken because they couldn't afford a turkey. She has always said that Thanksgiving is her favorite holiday so this year is special. She's also bringing her college roommate with her, a lovely young woman who feels like a member of the family.
Having my daughter home is the best

My oldest son is bringing his new wife for her first Thanksgiving with us so we're looking forward to that. My other two boys are bringing new girlfriends this year so we'll try not to scare them away. All the boys are doing well at their jobs and we're so thankful they have good ones. The immediate family is pretty healthy and we're so grateful for that.

My mother is still in long term care, her mind failing a little bit more each day. If there is a mercy in that, she is much happier and more content as her world gets foggier and foggier. She's less upset that she doesn't understand what is going on and lives in the moment.

We have one more tuition payment to make, a small one due to my daughter's scholarships, and then we'll be free of that financial burden. If you've had to make any tuition payments lately, you understand how grateful we are for that.

Our house is warm, spacious and filled with love. We have more food than is needed. We have health, jobs and live in a free country. My children are successful and happy adults. They freely show their love to me and my husband and their appreciation for what we've done for them.

Through writing, I've found a second career I love as much as I did my first. I've made friends in local writing groups and through this blog, from all over the world. There are people who buy my books and like them.

I am a happy woman. I'm thankful for the bounty in my life. There are lots of problems in the world, but this week I'm going to concentrate on what is right.

In the spirit of being a family week, I'm not posting on Wednesday but I'll be back next Monday. What are you grateful for this week? Is Thanksgiving an important holiday in your house? Will you be traveling?  

29 comments:

nashvillecats2 said...

Thanks for a lovely post to read, as you so rightly say much bad things happen in the world for example Paris only last week.
It's good to be grateful for the good things in life even if we experience trials and tribulations of our own. One has to experience down days to appreciate the good.
Have a great week.
Yvonne.

Yolanda Renée said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Susan.
Being thankful is a blessing!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Awesome your whole family and then some will be there for Thanksgiving. Sorry your mother continues to fade, but glad she's happier. It would be frustrating to know you don't understand or remember.
We rarely spend Thanksgiving with family due to the miles, so it's become more of a day to spend with friends.

Hart Johnson said...

How wonderful to have your whole family together. Mine is on the other coast and Thanksgiving in particular, I really miss them. (It is the holiday that we all managed --full extended family, unlike Christmas where people split with "the other side of the family"). Glad your mom is finding a bit of peace, even if it is hard for the rest of you.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

A lovely post, Susan! You're going to have a wonderful holiday with your family.

We'll have a quiet Thanksgiving, maybe take in a movie or go for a walk on the beach, depending on the weather.

betty said...

Sounds like so much to be thankful for in your life and your family's life too :) Should be a wonderful day all spent together and I hope everyone will be able to repeat it a month later for Christmas :)

Its hard to see our parents get older and then eventually when they pass. My mine died back in 2006; with all the recent events of things happening in the world it would have broke her heart so much, so even though I miss her, I know it would have been so tough for her to try to comprehend how crazy things have become in 9 short years.

Just hubby and me celebrating the holiday together this year; I'm sure it will be delicious since he's doing the cooking :)

Wishing you and your family a very thankful Happy Thanksgiving!

betty

Pat Hatt said...

Wow, you'll have a full house indeed, sure it will be a grand time. Lots to be thankful for, we just have to look most times.

Maria Zannini said...

I'm so happy for you that your whole family will be home. That in itself is the best gift of all.

I'll be your holiday table will be one to remember this year!

Christine Rains said...

How wonderful to have everyone together! You do have lots to be thankful for. I'm grateful for my wonderful husband and son. We will be traveling to visit in-laws, which won't be so pleasant, but I look forward to Christmas where we'll stay home, enjoy one another, and build new happy memories. Have a happy Thanksgiving!

Robin said...

I hope that you and your ENTIRE family really enjoy the holiday this year. So happy that you'll all be together!

A Beer for the Shower said...

I love your attitude. That really is what it's all about. Enjoy your Thanksgiving with that full house of yours. I'm hosting Thanksgiving this year, so I'm hoping to show my parents that I'm a successful adult... or at least that I'm good at faking it.

Stephen Tremp said...

Susan, glad to year your daughter will make it back with her friend. Thanksgiving is a special time to be with family. Then it's a mass Christmas in your face marketing and advertising 24 hour frenzy.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susan - your daughter looks a delight ... while the whole concept of your Thanksgiving with all the kids and friends around sounds delightful .. and a first for your son and his new wise. I think I might just come over!! We don't do Thanksgiving here - but Christmas is always lovely .. family and friends ..

Cheers and enjoy it al - Hilary

Ann Bennett said...

Your daughter is quite the beauty. It sounds like a marvelous holiday. It is hard for everyone to get together. My family got together one time by accident when Martin Luther King Day became a holiday. Everyone thought, I ought to drop by and see mom and dad when they woke up.

Shanaya Tales said...

I am so glad that you are going to have your whole family with you for this holiday. With most of my family in a different continent, thanksgiving is a pretty subdued affair. But I too love this holiday more than any other day, and you are right - we should use this week to celebrate everything good and right with the world. Have a great thanksgiving, Susan. :)

J E Oneil said...

I'm glad all of your kids will be around. You must have missed your daughter so much.

Sorry about your mom. It's good that she's happy.

Chrys Fey said...

The bad things are louder but we always have some much to be thankful for...even if we don't think there is. I'm glad you'll have your whole family with you during the holidays. Enjoy them! Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

Chrys Fey said...

The bad things are louder but we always have some much to be thankful for...even if we don't think there is. I'm glad you'll have your whole family with you during the holidays. Enjoy them! Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

Ella said...

I love your post and I am so happy for you-your family being there gathered all around you and your hubby! Cheers to embracing the goodness~ enJOY
Happy Thanksgiving

The Happy Whisk said...

I don't celebrate American Thanksgiving but I know how much you LOVE it. And having your baby girl home this year, well that's just better than ANYTHING.

Enjoy and Happy Eating.

Trisha said...

It's very important to take stock of all that we're thankful for. Australia doesn't do Thanksgiving, but we can still take a leaf out of North America's book and pause for a moment to think about what we're thankful for!

Liza said...

What a lovely post featuring what is so good in your life. Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving Day filled with your loving family. That's what I am looking forward to, the day with family.

Nicola said...

Wishing you all a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

Patricia Stoltey said...

My husband and I are staying home to celebrate our own Thanksgiving together with Katie Cat -- my new knee says it's not quite ready for a long drive yet. I'm thankful we'll have my own homemade (like Mom's) stuffing, that we'll get to relax all day and watch the snow fall (if we actually get any this time), and that I have lots of books to read.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Susan.

~Sia McKye~ said...

I love your attitude. It's all about being grateful for what we do have--not what we don't. It brings the focus to what's really important. Home, family, and good friends.

This year my husband and I will be staying home instead of being with my big family. That will be easier this year. My son and his girlfriend will be stopping by and they'll be splitting their Thanksgiving dinner between her parents house--they do their dinner at noon and ours and we do ours around 5. It will be nice.

Have a great Thanksgiving and enjoy the blessings of have all your children home!

Sia McKye Over Coffee

diedre Knight said...

Your joy and contentment are as refreshing as sunshine after a three-day rain. I'm so glad you shared :-)

Unknown said...

hoping and wishing for a fun filled holiday as your house overflows with family

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Your post warms my heart, Susan. Happy Thanksgiving.

The Happy Whisk said...

Stopped back in tonight to a) show you my new shoes and b) wish you a Happy Christmas and an Oogie Boogie, New Year.

Cheers :-)