Monday, July 24, 2017

A Week of Opportunity

Where to begin? This Thursday is #IWSGPit. I hope you've polished and perfected that pitch.
There's an amazing list of participants, agents and editors.

Also, this is the last week to send your submission for the next Insecure Writer's Support Group nonfiction anthology Guide to Writing for Profit. Can't wait to get my hands on that.

C. Lee McKenzie is offering Sliding on the Edge for free:
 Scarred. Scared. Alone. Can sixteen-year-old Shawna Stone overcome her inner suffering and transcend the past? 

Shawna has spent the first sixteen years of her life in Las Vegas and learned to handle anything from a Las Vegas hustle to skipping out on the rent. Damaged inside and out, she's survived with a tough, hardened attitude. When her mother abandons her, with only a bus ticket and the name and number of stranger to call, this troubled , desperate teen finds herself on a California horse ranch with Kay Stone, the steely, youngish grandmother she's never known. 

Kay overwhelms Shawna with rules and daily barn chores, and Shawna baffles Kay with her foul-mouthed anger and shrugging indifference to everything--except the maltreated horse on the ranch next door. But it's worse than even Kay suspects: Shawna's driven to cut herself by Monster, that strange voice inside her head. Kay struggles to keep the ranch going and fears that unless she helps this girl, she could lose her last living family member.

As this unlikely pair struggles to co-exist, will they overcome their suffering and transcend the past?

Find it on Amazon,   Smashwords,   Kobo,   Barnes and Noble

Michael J. Sullivan, once a guest on IWSG, has a new book release tomorrow. Age of Swords in the second book in his newest series. He's one of my favorite fantasy writers and a nice guy on top of that. If you're looking for a good epic fantasy series to indulge in, try this author.

Tomorrow is also the day my latest, Hunter's Exiled Lady, is available on Amazon. After a frustrating week finding the time to write, I'll be excited to see how this book sells. Sometimes when I get my royalty checks I want to weep.

Wow, does the trailer for the second season of Stranger Things promise another great season. I hope the show avoids a sophomore slump. Salvation, the short season summer show on CBS, is pretty good. Lots of science and intrigue along with interesting, imperfect characters. Zoo gets a little crazier every season, but it's summer so I'll take it.

Do you have your Twitter pitch ready? Know something about promotion you can share with IWSG members? Ready to pick up a free book from C. Lee McKenzie? Did you see the trailer to Stranger Things?








20 comments:

nashvillecats2 said...

Yes Susan certainly a week of oppourtunities,
Great informative post.

Yvonne.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Royalty checks are reality checks, aren't they?

After hearing the kid from Stranger Things at Supercon, I'm excited for the next season.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Good luck to everyone participating in the Twitter pitch!

Haven't seen the trailer for Stranger Things! Hmm, I sense some Season 1 binge-watching in the near future. :)

messymimi said...

There are so many fabulous stories and never enough time to read them all. My hope is that your sales skyrocket!

Pat Hatt said...

Stranger Things sure looks like it will be good. Hopefully so.

haha royalty checks need a new name I think. Maybe jester checks? Peasant checks?

Jo said...

I just hope your book does well Susan, I cannot imagine anything more frustrating for a writer than to have your book ignored.

Unknown said...

I hope your book does wonderfully, Susan! I know how you feel about those royalty checks.
Happy writing!

cleemckenzie said...

You are in "shout-out" mode today!! Thank you so much for including Sliding on the Edge in your post today. I can't wait for my royalites to roll in. :-)

A Beer for the Shower said...

Ah, royalty checks. A reminder that if you want to make an actual livable career out of this, you only have to sell about 50,000 books a year (only).

I'm excited for Stranger Things S2. If any show can stay fresh and interesting, I think it's this one.

J E Oneil said...

I didn't see the trailer, but I'm eagerly awaiting the second season of Stranger Things. I hope some good television comes back soon!

Chrys Fey said...

Congrats on your new release! I hope it does amazingly well. :)

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your new book, Susan! I've already got a copy of C. Lee's book.

I've send you a message via Twitter and email. Pls responnd when you have a minute and all the best with the book sales. Happy to spread the word!

Damyanti

Patricia Stoltey said...

Sliding on the Edge sounded like a good read, so I now have it on my Kindle. My TBR stack and Kindle library are getting huge.

Christine Rains said...

Congratulations on your new release! We share a release day today. :) I did just see the trailer for Stranger Things the other day. I'm excited! IWSG has a ton going on.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susan - good luck with the new book .. and yes the twitter pitch will be fascinating to read about ... cheers Hilary

mshatch said...

I have not seen the trailer for ST but rest assured, now that I know it's out there, it's next on my list to check out. I love that show!

Ellie Garratt said...

Congratulations on your latest release!

Anonymous said...

Lots of exciting news this week. I was reading a few of the pitches yesterday and they sounded good.

Anonymous said...

I just hope your book does well Susan, I cannot imagine anything more frustrating for a writer than to have your book ignored.


เย็ดสาว

Constantine said...

This is by far one of the best places to hang with friends, have great drinks (amazing beer selection), eat some great food, including the great lunch I had there. Prices at New York Event Venues are very reasonable and the pizza was awesome.