Monday, August 7, 2017

The Normal

Our local chapter had an interesting meeting this past Saturday. As I mentioned before, my group, CPRW, won an award for being the top small chapter of RWA for 2017. After the business portion of the meeting, the handful of members who attended RWA's yearly conference gave a recap of the insights into the industry they gathered at the massive gathering of writers, editors, and agents. One of the interesting thing they shared was how smoothly our chapter runs compared to so many others. Each of our members had tales from other groups of how their chapters suffered from infighting and drama. Some groups are considering disbanding because of the dysfunction of their chapter. There is not one hint of that in our group. We won the 'less than 50 members' group award. And we all support and cheer for each other. There's no jealousy or ego-driven rifts in our little family. I would never have imagined other groups weren't like ours.

Tomorrow I'm taking my granddaughter to library for the first time. We're getting her library card and in three weeks we can sign her up for her first reading group. She'll be six months old so it's time. Not that we haven't already bought her dozens of books. Mostly, she wants to eat them at this time, but I'm sure she'd get over that.

"To me there is no picture so beautiful as smiling, bright-eyed, happy children; no music so sweet as their clear and ringing laughter."  P.T. Barnum

My publisher put together a Best of  Susan Kelley album for me. I mean an anthology of three of the first books in my space opera romance series. I'm excited to see how this does as it's something new for both of us. I'm really excited that I have enough series to make an anthology with only my work in. Though since this contains 3 full length novels, it's more like an omnibus.

Went with my daughter yesterday to use a great coupon we had for The Gap. Way too many people. Have I mentioned how glad I am that I don't have to do back-to-school shopping. I do miss searching for some cool office supplies. But I really don't need them. I buy a planner once per year and occasionally need more pens or pencils.

I've heard about Game of Thrones being the most pirated show in history but how about the leaks and hacking they have to battle all the time? I watched Les Miserables so I understand stealing because you're starving, but what is with the thieves in this world. I don't understand the mindset that it's okay to take something that belongs to someone else.

I'm looking for a new home for my other fantasy series that I received my rights back for after the small press closed. They had published the first book out of three but only for a few months. So I've narrowed down a few publishers who will look at a book that's been published before. There aren't many of them. Suggestions are appreciated if you know of any.

Are you doing any back-to-school shopping or only bemoaning the crowds like I am? Are you a fan of anthologies? Have you ever been part of a writing group that didn't get along? How old were you the first time you visited a library?







22 comments:

nashvillecats2 said...

Good luck with your anthology and other writing hopes.

Yvonne.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Shouldn't romance writers be lovers not fighters?

Good luck finding a home for your series. Fantasy is one of DLP's genres although I'm still looking for just the right stories.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I hate drama.
Cool your books will be in a set!
Hope you find a home for that anthology.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Congrats on the Best Of - how exciting! :)

Yeh for a supportive and encouraging group and for first library cards!

Pat Hatt said...

Awesome your books will be a set. Blah to the drama and egos, I never have time for that crap. I just stick my elbows out and go through the crowds lol

Jemi Fraser said...

Apparently I threw a massive tantrum when I was 4 at the library because my older sister got a card, but I wasn't old enough... they gave me a card! :)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susan - congratulations on having such a happily run chapter - so much better, as everyone helps and so much is learnt. Brilliant you're taking your granddaughter for her first library visit - many more to follow, I am sure. Good luck for all the writing and find homes for the series and for the anthology - cheers Hilary

Jo said...

Good luck Susan. Humans are very odd with their infighting and backbiting. Glad your group is the exception. 6 months old? Seems a tad young for a library card to me. However, the reading group idea is good I think. I don't remember when I got my first library card. I don't remember not reading though.

cleemckenzie said...

So many great things happening for you, Susan. Everything from being in a top chapter to sharing a very special time with your granddaughter!

A Beer for the Shower said...

No back to school shopping here, but that's pretty adorable about your granddaughter getting a library card already. I guess you can never be too prepared. May she find all of the tastiest books.

J E Oneil said...

Sounds like you have a great group there. I'm sure you're a good influence on them :). Hope your books can find a new home, too.

A lot of the rationale behind torrenting is that people have no money period or already pay for another streaming service and can't afford another one. Of course, that's just a justification.

Misha Gerrick said...

You're lucky to have such an amazing group.

As for how old I was when first going to the library... No idea. I'm part of a family of avid readers, so they probably rolled me into a library in a pram before I had any say in the matter.

messymimi said...

It amazes me how people can be so nasty to each other. Good luck with your anthology and getting your book replublished!

mshatch said...

I laughed when you said your granddaughter was six months old and it was time to get her a library card. And I try not to look at ANYTHING GOT related as I'm a week behind and I've already had my share of spoilers thus far. Sometimes people really suck.

Christine Rains said...

You're never too young for a library card! I was taking my son to the library before he could even sit up on his own. I don't remember when I first went to a library. Probably not until I was in kindergarten. How wonderful about your RWA group. :) My son is back in school already. The school has supply kits you buy instead of the parents rushing out with a list. It makes things a lot easier.

Juneta key said...

Wishing you much success and best of luck.

Chrys Fey said...

It's sad to hear that other chapters have drama among the members. I wouldn't want to be in a group like that.

I recently bought the GOT series collection from ebay for a great price, so now I don't have to checkout the seasons from the library anymore. ;)

Nick Wilford said...

Glad to hear you're part of such a great group. That must bring you a lot of benefits. I need to get organised with back to school stuff, considering it's next week!

Susan Kane said...

My daughter attends the RWA conference every year, learns a lot. She does not belong to any group, but has many beta readers and fellow writers. drama seems to go along with Romance writers, I don't know why.

Her first Library card!!She is starting on a grand journey.

New Release Books said...

Wow, I like the sound of The Best if Susan Kelley! And your group sounds like your tribe...just what is needed.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I've been part of a writing group that had schisms, but it was a massive group. There were politics and accusations of cliques, etc. Congrats on getting that award!

Ann Bennett said...

I have a hard time not stocking up school supplies each Fall. It was such a habit for me. Drama does not work well for me. You are lucky to belong to a group that has escaped the curse. It really just takes one person to get that ball going.