Monday, August 21, 2017

This Day

I'm not going to link to any of the zillion articles about the solar eclipse since they are everywhere and have been for a while now. I hope you're protecting your eyes if you in the shadow of the moon today. It's a very cool thing to have happen. We'll only get to see a partial eclipse where I live, but it will still be neat.

I'm spending more and more time watching my granddaughter as the school year approaches and her parents get back to work. She's a bit of sunshine every day. She inherited her father's unfortunate cowlick on the very front and center of her head, but she also inherited his disposition. Meaning she is endlessly pleasant and smiling.

Being out and about with that dear child reminds me how easy it is to be kind. So many strangers smile and often speak to her. She adores all of them. When do we learn to not think the best of others? She doesn't care about their race, their religion, or their sexual preferences. Old, young or in between. Thin, beautiful, or not. Elliana Hope doesn't care. She loves people, and so should we all. I find myself with more patience with others just by being in the sunshiny presence of hers.

We've had so much rain, it's terrible. The wet area of my lawn is officially a swamp at a time of year when it is usually completely dry. I conceded defeat to the weeds among my flowers last week. Our area is about 10 inches above average rainfall this year.

I'm over a third of the way done with my next book. Would love to finish the first draft by the end of September. I bought a new computer, but I'm still using the old one until I get everything set up. I liked my old computer but the battery was shot. I was lucky if it lasted 20 minutes, and they no longer make the batteries for it though I could try a used one. And wow, computer batteries are really expensive.

The further along Game of Thrones goes this season, the more disappointed I am in the number of episodes. The writers claimed there wasn't enough story to make ten episodes like other seasons, but they're rushing through story so fast, I find it hard to believe they couldn't have found lots of juicy details to fill the time. I'm really enjoying the summer show, Salvation, more and more as it goes. I hope it gets a second season though I guess they could fail to stop the asteroid and all die this season.

Preseason football is underway. I seldom watch sports on TV, but I do enjoy football. And I love watching my son coach high school football. I will also get a lot of writing done while my husband commandeers the TV to watch hours and hours of the game. Don't just him, but my husband is a Raiders fan. And Penn State, of course.

Is your part of the word getting a rainy overload? Are you wishing for a little human kindness among the world's people? Have you ever priced a computer battery? Looking forward to football season? Who is your favorite team? Are you going to watch the eclipse?






19 comments:

nashvillecats2 said...

Great post Susan, enjoy the solar eclispe.

Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Ready for the eclipse. We should see most of it here.
Enjoying the football. The month of July is such a drag. (Sorry, I think watching baseball on television is really boring. In person, really fun though.)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Seeing and expecting the best in others is a people skill so many don't possess.

We should have a really great view of the eclipse today. My husband even made us pinhole cameras so we can see it.

mshatch said...

I saw a clip on people asking kids (black, white, asian, etc) how they thought they were different and the kids invariably answered with likes and dislikes (he likes football, I don't), or, what they were good at (I'm a good dancer, she's not). Only one kid mentioned appearance (her hair is different than mine). As for GOT, I'm probly an episode behind you and I feel the same way. Very rushed. But I also don't think George has written this far in the actual books so there's that. Partial eclipse in my neck of the woods, too.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I'm at a total eclipse site. Drove most of the night to get here. Glad you're enjoying your time with your granddaughter.

Pat Hatt said...

I never watch sports on tv, in person so much better. I have to get a new computer as first my battery was shot and now I have the rainbow screen of death lol stupid Windows 10, here I come. Kids sure seem to bring out the good in people. Not sure they'd give me patience with super slowpoke drivers though.

Thanks for the Profanity Granny reviews too.

betty said...

Grand kids are the beet! What a bond you are creating with her too! We will have the eclipse here for about an hour. I won't be viewing it though, protecting my eyes.

Betty
Betty

messymimi said...

Not a whole lot of eclipse to watch here, and i will be working anyway. Yes, i agree, i find myself shocked at my own impatience and need to have more of a child-like attitude toward others, in the good way your granddaughter does.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

We'll get a partial view of the eclipse here, but it should be a good chunk. We're ready!

I can't believe next week is the season finale of GoT! :o

A Beer for the Shower said...

Methinks watching the sunshine that is your granddaughter is way more productive and fulfilling than watching the half-assed sunshine that is the solar eclipse.

And yes, GoT is going by VERY fast. I don't want filler, but they definitely could have drawn a few things out. I know one of the big jokes is 'teleporting Jon Snow'. First he's in the North, next episode he's with Daenarys, same episode he's right back in the North. Man, he gets around fast!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susan - kids have the best view of life ... if I could tie up with one who dislikes football (our kind) I'd be very happy adult!!! Elliana Hope sounds just brilliant - enjoy every moment of her ... she'll remember the experience of the eclipse - I was sceptical, but when I was with friends for the 1999 partial one here ... it was interesting to say the least ... and she'll get the feeling of it ... cheers Hilary

Jo said...

Wonderful to be such a cheerful outgoing child. Very precious. I bought a battery for my laptop, as you say, very expensive. Didn't seem to improve matters so whenever I use it I have it plugged in to a power source. We've had some rain here, but not too much thank goodness.

Nick Wilford said...

If only age, religion, gender were no issue to anyone, what a difference that would make. Good luck with your new computer and getting your WIP finished.

J E Oneil said...

I think we learn not to be nice to others when others stop being nice to us. When that happens varies from person to person.

cleemckenzie said...

How wonderful to have the time with your granddaughter. I'm not much into football--much to my father's dismay. But I do love soccer and baseball. I know. Baseball? But I grew up with a grandfather who breathed baseball.

Christine Rains said...

We can learn so much from children and how loving they are. It's great you're getting all that time with your granddaughter. I did watch the eclipse today, but no football for me. Have a lovely week! :)

dolorah said...

I love being a grandmother. Its a shame we can't be grandma first, Mama second.

Patricia Stoltey said...

We're Broncos fans at my house, but I don't usually watch the pre-season games. The big thing here has been the battle for the quarterback position. Could be an interesting season.

Misha Gerrick said...

In South Africa, we really could do with some of that rain. We're under water restrictions due to the drought. :-/