Wednesday, December 5, 2018

IWSG: December 2018 Edition

I can't believe it's the last IWSG blog hop of the year. Major thanks to Alex J. Cavanaugh and all the IWSG administrators who keep the group so progressive and brilliant. Find the entire list of blog participants here.


The optional question for this month:


What are five objects we'd find in your writing space?

I love this question. I'm not counting my laptop as one. 
1.Next to it is always my Old Farmer's Almanac Planner. I already purchased the 2019 version a few weeks ago.
2. A drink. Usually ice coffee, water, or tea. Occasionally, a glass of wine.
3. Reading glasses. Who am I kidding. There may be a many as six pairs. I have more than a dozen and they tend to all end up in the same place. The kitchen, my writing desk, or my reading chair.
4. A big, huge, cup, more like a flower pot, full of pens, pencils, a ruler, book marks, scissors, highlighters.
5. My remote to my smart TV that sits across the room. I watch Netflix while I'm blogging. (Not when I'm writing)

I'm really looking forward to the holidays. Almost done with shopping, but the joy of the season for our family is not in the gifts but in the time we spend together. 

"Where there is great love, there are always miracles." Willa Cather

I have been really busy with writing. Last Saturday, I wrote over 12,000 words to finish the first draft of my third novel in Starship Refugees space opera series. That's a record for me. The second book in the series, The Alien and the Amazon, is now available on Amazon.

Speaking of space opera, I'm going to try watching Nightflyers on SyFy. Has anyone seen it yet? I heard it's really dark. I've watched some Christmas movies, all sweet and predictable, but I can take it this time of year. If you haven't watched Christmas Chronicles on Netflix, you should check it out. Kurt Russell is my new favorite Santa.

"The most completely lost of all days is that on which one has not laughed" Sebastien-Roch Nicolas

Did you laugh today? Is your desk sacred space? What was your biggest writing day? Done shopping?





30 comments:

nashvillecats2 said...

That was alot of words to write Susan. Hope the writing continues to go well.

Yvonne.

Ann V Friend said...

Blessings and Happy Holidays Susan

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's a lot of words in one day! I am impressed.
Wasn't sure about the Kurt Russell show since it got mixed reviews.
Bring on the Christmas!

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Well done on the words! I had some good chunks of words during NaNo but nothing like that.

Diane Burton said...

12k words in one day??? Wow!!! I laughed about the glasses. I don't have that many, just a few, but I'm always looking for them. Hubs wants to chain them around my neck. LOL I enjoyed the Kurt Russell Santa. Fun movie. I wish I could watch TV and write, even the blog. No can do. Have a great month.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Those darn reading glasses. I blame the world for going fuzzy.

Congrats on that word count.

Nick Wilford said...

That's an epic writing stint! Well done. It sounds like your space works well for you.

Rachna Chhabria said...

12,000 words in one day is huge! You have inspired me to try the same.
And your writing space has a lot of things :)

Christine Rains said...

Wow! What a writing day! That's awesome. I'm all ready for the holidays. I just have to order my husband's gift from Amazon, and then I'm all set. Now I'm curious to check out that Kurt Russell flick.

betty said...

That was great with the amount of writing you got in last week. Must have been a good feeling to accomplish that much! Seems like you have just what you need at your writing space to "get the job done."

betty

M.J. Fifield said...

I listen to Netflix when I'm working—including writing. I find I need background noise to help me focus. Serious editing is the only exception.

Nice job with the 12,000 words, and finishing that first draft! I think my most productive writing day only netted me around 9000 words. Not a bad number, though.

David Powers King said...

Way to cross the finish line! Congrats on your new book. Also wishing you a safe and Happy Holidays! :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

I enjoyed the Christmas Chronicles, too!
Way to go with your writing and your new book!

I always have pens, too.

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,
I haven't even started Christmas Shopping and more than likely won't do any this year. So, I'm surprised that you're almost finish.
Congrats!!! Three cheers for you.
Shalom aleichem,
Pat G

Anonymous said...

6 pairs of reading glasses? Do you have eyes hidden under your hair? ;)

J E Oneil said...

My mom has pairs of reading glasses everywhere, too. And yet she still has trouble fining a pair when she needs them. They seem to disappear :)

Pat Hatt said...

That's sure a lot of glasses. Got my shopping and wrapping done weeks ago. Go ocd. The Kurt Russell one was enjoyable indeed.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I need glasses all the time. And listen to the news when blogging. I have my shopping done too.

cleemckenzie said...

My son works for a big eye glass firm--he does internet security of them--and I'm always getting new glasses from him. I now have one shelf dedicated to those treasures.

messymimi said...

Mostly done shopping, my desk has the cat food bowls on it, so no sacredness there, and i will have to look for that show with Kurt Russell.

Denise Covey said...

You watch Netflix while you're blogging. Go you! And your glasses collection! So cool. Merry Christmas Susan and every success for the New Year!

Juneta key said...

Merry Christmas. I like your space. Happy IWSG Day.

Liza said...

I'm a uni-tasker. I couldn't watch TV and blog...you'd get Greek out of me! Wishing you a Merry Christmas!

Tonja Drecker said...

I really need to pick up the 2019 edition of Farmer's Almanac (thanks for the reminder). And I hear you on the reading glasses. I purchased several multi-packs and spread glasses in various places around the house. Otherwise, it would be a nightmare to keep track of them.

Loni Townsend said...

Woot! Congrats on finishing the draft! That's awesome!

I haven't even started my Christmas shopping... doh!

The Happy Whisk said...

You got the 2019. That doesn't surprise me. You're fun! Happy Holidays and boogie boogie.

Chemist Ken said...

OMG! if I had a TV in the same room where I wrote, I'd never get any writing done. Glad you have the willpower to resist. Have a great Christmas season!

Jemi Fraser said...

12K in one day??????? Wow - I think my brain would melt!
Hope you enjoy all the wonders of Xmas with your family!!

J.H. Moncrieff said...

Congrats on your writing success, Susan! That's awesome.

I'm curious about what you use the Farmer's Almanac for? I don't know much about it, except it used to predict the weather (and still might).

Chrys Fey said...

This question was a fun one. I've enjoyed everyone's answers and photos shared.