Wednesday, October 4, 2023

IWSG: October 2023

 


Here we are again. Time for the IWSG blog hop. Thanks to founder, Alex J. Cavanaugh, and all the admins of this amazing group. Please share your woes and victories so we can support you and celebrate you. Find the entire list of participants here.

This month's optional question:

The topic of AI writing has been heavily debated across the world. According to various sources, generative AI will assist writers, not replace them. What are your thoughts?

I think AI is the biggest threat to writers there is, and it's only going to get smarter. The Hollywood strike really alerted us to their concerns. If I'm correct in what I know, AI could read a few books you've written and then create a new book using your voice. Not that anyone would want to do that to me, but I think big-name writers need to be aware. It's already been done for music. Soon art? I hope that humanity continues to want human-created content and art, but I fear the point will come when machine generated material will replace so much. A disclaimer here, I'm not even close to an expert on what AI can do, but I'm not sure anyone else is either.

I do know a few fiction writers who have embraced it. I don't understand how they think it improves their work. My family jokes about the coming of Skynet of Terminator fame, but I'm starting to wonder if reality is getting closer to fiction.

But as usual, I just keep on going and doing my thing. I wrote about 10K in my newest work this past month, and I almost have my re-releases ready on Amazon. 

A few entertainment things have given me an hour or two of mindlessness. The second season of the Wheel of Time is underway. I try to appreciate it for what it is and not compare it too much to the books. I find it 'okay.' The second season of Loki starts tomorrow. I'll probably watch it. I started to watch two new shows, Irrational and Found. Not sold but I'll tune in a few more times.

I'm going to a one day conference in Erie later this month. I'm excited about it.

This month marks my blogging anniversary. I started this blog in 2008 so I've been here a long time. I'm not as active as I used to be but I still enjoy keeping up with all my blogging friends. I would love to have you follow me on Instagram and Twitter also.

Are you embracing AI or wearing a foil cap? Getting any writing done? How long have you been blogging?


19 comments:

Liza said...

Congratulations on your anniversary! I started in 2009, so you have me beat.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I haven't used AI, yet, but will sometime. I can't see me using it on a regular basis, though.

Teresa

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I think it is going to get smarter and that writer's strike is just the beginning of what it can replace.

Jemi Fraser said...

I'm hoping AI doesn't figure out the human touch. We need human creativity and we humans need to be creative. I've just started a new book and the words are flowing! Hoping that continues although I'm not sure what's happening next!

Nick Wilford said...

I'll have to join the tin hat brigade when it comes to AI. Very worried and sceptical about how it will eat into human creativity, and erode it as people come to rely on it more. Like you say, it's inevitable, but we'll have to be careful about not letting it get too much power.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The Writer's Guild won this time but how long before they don't?
Good to know I'm not the only one who keeps thinking about Skynet.
Keep writing!

Tyrean Martinson said...

I can't say I've embraced AI, nor have I started wearing a foil cap. :) I have experimented with it, and found it lacking. I know it can be trained to be smarter, but will it ever truly be creative? I don't think so. That's my take on it at the moment.

H. R. Sinclair said...

I'm in-between. I enjoy the process of writing, so that's what I'll do.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

This is what I'm doing, too - "I just keep on going and doing my thing." I try to keep my head down, but without burying it in the sand.

Congrats on the 10k words! And good luck with those re-releases!

Gwen Gardner said...

Happy Blogiversary!

I've tested AI and it isn't that accomplished yet. It doesn't understand nuance and doesn't have a great command of the English language yet. Close, but not there yet. It is a useful tool, though, for throwing around ideas and such.

J E Oneil said...

I also think AI is bad for everyone, especially creatives.

Olga Godim said...

I blogged today about the AI art and my thought on it. IMO, AI lacks originality in both art and writing, in any creative endeavors, really. But the question is: do the human consumers want that originality? Or would they be content with mediocrity copied from other sources (which is what AI does)?

Olga Godim said...

I blogged today about the AI art and my thought on it. IMO, AI lacks originality in both art and writing, in any creative endeavors, really. But the question is: do the human consumers want that originality? Or would they be content with mediocrity copied from other sources (which is what AI does)?

messymimi said...

As with any other tool, AI used rightly is a good thing, and used wrongly will cause much damage.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I think there will always be real writers around because it's too fun to write and we have this innate need to express ourselves.

I am struggling to get into the new season of Wheel of Time.

Olga Godim said...

[I tried commenting yesterday, but your site seemed to have eaten my comments. Trying again.]
I blogged about the AI art and my thought on it. IMO, AI lacks originality in both art and writing, in any creative endeavors, really. But the question is: do the human consumers want that originality? Or would they be content with mediocrity copied from other sources (which is what AI does)?

ib said...

Susan, I'm becoming a "foil hat" type of guy. Kind of like Joaquin Phoenix in Signs. Okay, not quite there yet but... AI is not something I'm interested in. I like flesh and blood people, flaws and all. I like being emotional and a computer does not have the ability to give me that. I started blogging in 2012, took a 10 year hiatus and because of some major life changes, I felt the need to start spilling again. This time, I come armed with more resolve. I have an idea about a short story and I'm prepared to see it through.

Nas said...

Congratulations on your anniversary. AI is a machine and it will give you what you input. So for writing, yes, it will give you a blurb or a synopsis but then you will have to work at it. It will not replace humans and their creativity. And people should use it ethically.

Lisa said...

Yay you on blogging for so long! I’m waiting to see what happens with AI, and like you, I keep doing what I’m doing!