Wednesday, June 5, 2024

IWSG: June 2024

 


Whew, I almost put the wrong date in my post. I typed 2026 but fortunately caught it. Time is flying but not that fast. But it is time for the monthly get together of the IWSG blog hop. As usual, thanks to our founder,  Alex J. Cavanaugh and all the IWSG admins who do so much. Find the entire list of participants here.

This month's optional question:

In this constantly evolving industry, what kind of offering/service do you think the IWSG should consider offering to members?

Good question, but not sure of the answer. I've learned so much from IWSG and met so many amazing writers, many of whom feel like close friends. I've been thinking of some things being done in my other writing groups. I'm not sure if they are things that would work for IWSG. 

One is a write-in, held on Zoom at certain times where writers meet and just write together. Participants come and go as they need. Sometimes the moderator starts the write-in with a short spiel about something writing related. Sometimes the write-in starts with participants sharing what they're working on. One group does this one day a week. Another group does it every weekday.

A second thing one of my groups does is have once monthly review parties. There are different ways to organize these, but the goal is to help other writers get reviews for their books.

Last month an amazing thing happened. I was privileged to meet L. Diane Wolfe in person. She was a guest of Pennwriters in Lancaster PA where she led workshops and took pitches from hopeful writers. She is even more wonderful than I expected. What energy! Everyone loved her. She was kind, funny, knowledgeable, and just a light wherever she went.

The entire conference was great fun and very informative, but Diane was one of the biggest highlights for me.

I'm still working steadily on my newest fantasy series. I hope to have the first draft done by the end of the summer. It's a really, really rough draft.

My exercising is going well and the warm weather always motivates me. And the swimming pool is open. I've been jogging at least two days a week and walking at least three days. My jogging is soooo slow that my younger self wouldn't even have called it jogging, but it works my muscles so much better than walking.

TV and streaming is so boring for me right now. I'm rewatching Fringe for the third time because I can't find anything I want to watch.

Do you have any ideas for IWSG moving forward? Have you made some forever friends in this group? Have you had a chance to meet any of them in person?


10 comments:

Liza said...

So glad you got to meet Diane. We've all been virtual connections for so long. It's lovely that you met her in person. I have to shake a real hand, but I did have a phone call with one of my blogging friends a while back. Wishing you a lovely summer. Our pool opens later this month. I'm giving some thought to joining and swimming laps!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

My biggest highlight was meeting you! Thank you so much for suggesting me as a presenter. I loved it.

I would love review groups or even just a list of writers who review.

Natalie Aguirre said...

That's so cool that you met Diane. Good luck finishing your first draft this summer.

H. R. Sinclair said...

This was a tough question for me. I had no idea. I loke you suggestions. Hooray on meeting Diane. Awesome.

Nick Wilford said...

I was just at Diane's blog and saw your picture. I'm glad she exceeded expectations. She's a great support in the community.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Zoom parties have been mentioned a couple times.
Cool you got to meet Diane!

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Excellent on the exercising! Definitely something I need to work on.

Fundy Blue said...

Hi, Susan. I enjoyed seeing the photos that Diane posted of you and her. I'm sure meeting each other was so much fun for both of you! I've met a number of good friends through IWSG. And I was fortunate to meet Pat Hatt in person. What a great guy! Good luck with your exercising! I'm impressed! Enjoy IWSG Day!

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Diane posted a pic of you and her on her IWSG post. That must have been very nice to meet her. It's a lovely picture.

Melissa said...

Diane is one of my favorite people, too, though I have never met her in person. (envious) I wish I had her energy!

Jogging speeds my heart rate up too high. I just walk fast. That I can handle. LOL