Wednesday, August 7, 2024

IWSG: August 2024


 Welcome to my take on IWSG first Wednesday blog hop. Thanks to all the admins of IWSG and our founder, Alex J. Cavanaugh. And to find all the other participants, check out the list.

This month's optional question:

Do you use AI in your writing and if so how? Do you use it for your posts? Incorporate it into your stories? Use it for research? Audio?

Like many people, I use Grammarly. And I'm sure there are ways I use AI without even being aware of it. Is the stupid auto-correct on my phone, AI? I don't use it to write my content or brainstorm, or to create audio. I've attended a few workshops about it. Many writers are using AI to help with blurbs and such things. I haven't turned there. I feel like everyone's answer to this question will evolve.

I want to apologize for missing last month's IWSG. I think that might be the second time since the very beginning since I skipped a month. The time really got away from me.

I've been busy working on my WIP. I'm over 60K and have been averaging about 500 words per day. I'm kind of pleased with it though this first draft is really, really rough. My hope is to have it completed and a more polished version ready for next year's Pennwriters Annual Conference.

"It doesn't matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." Confucius

I'm looking forward to the upcoming final season of The Umbrella Academy on Netflix and the next season of The Rings of Power on Amazon. I've barely turned on the TV all summer.

Still exercising on a pretty regular basis despite the heat. I've always liked the heat, but I'm more careful since I'm an old lady now. A few more weeks of the pool being open. That helps when I have that to look forward to at the end of a 4 mile walk. Summer goes by so fast.

"Eighty percent of success is showing up." Woody Allen

Is your opinion about AI in writing evolving? Do you have thoughts about where this will lead? Has the extra hot summer changed your routines?





9 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If you've hardly ever missed a post here, you are one of the few - well done!
Great job on the writing.
Looking forward to Rings of Power. I'm on the last episode of House of Dragons.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Well done on 4 mile walks followed by swimming! The heat definitely keeps me inside more.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

A long walk followed by a dip in the pool sounds wonderful.

500 words a day is great!

Sarah Foster said...

60K is still impressive even if it's going slowly. I would love to be writing 500 words a day since I haven't been writing anything for a while.

H. R. Sinclair said...

Congrats on the writing! That's great.

Gail M Baugniet - Author said...

Our writer's group this month focused on writer's block; this saying always stands out: "You can edit a badly written page, but you can't edit a blank one." by Jodi Picoult. Keep on writing.
https://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com/2024/08/iwsg-focus-on-ai-for-writers.html

kimlajevardi.com said...

Congrats on your word count!

messymimi said...

The heat requires adjustments to my routine asIi have no A/C in my car. To keep from overheating, I have to make sure I have ice and Ice packs with me at all times.

As for AI, it may be handy for some things, but the only thing it can become is smarter, it can't become wise. That's on us.

Nick Wilford said...

AI is insidious. I'm sure we all use it without really realizing.