We all do it, but I think writers have a special gift and flare for procrastination. Here are my top ten favorites.
10. Update blog and visit all my friends' blogs and comment. Tell yourself it's all about networking.
9. Check Fictionwise and other booksellers to see if you received any new ratings.
8. Google your name or the name of your book just in case there's a surprise review out there somewhere.
7. Bake some cookies because your children are 'starving.'
6. Run out to the coffeeshop and get a four dollar ice coffee because theirs is so much better than your own ice coffee.
5. Reply to every post on the twenty-five yahoo groups you belong to.
4. Run a quick security scan on your computer because you really shouldn't let those things go.
3. Just a quick check in with facebook or twitter because it's all about the networking, baby.
2. File rejection letters by date and then decide to do them alphabetically.
And the number one favorite way for me to procrastinate is:
1. Rearrange my workspace including but not limited to: moving my desk, vaccumming the corners where it was sitting, dusting EVERYTHING, throwing out all those saved emails with possible contacts on, logging expenses and earnings, putting receipts in the tax folder, make a written list of all the things I need to do for promo, another list for all the authors and books I want to read, and rearrange my keeper shelf by author in order of publication and finally but not least, find the best spot on my desk for pictures of my kids.
What are your favorite ways to procrastinate?