Monday, July 8, 2013

Not Super All the Time

I'm busy with the last quarter of my second Recon Marine novel. If you haven't read the first book, the military men in this series are genetically enhanced men raised to be killing machines. With out going in to great detail, they're strong, fast, smart, nearly impervious to disease and trained to handle great amounts of pain and discomfort. They've also been taught nearly everything there is to know about battle strategies and tactics to be used in any situation. They also have access to and the knowledge of how to use the most up to date technology in weaponry and communications.

The Marines sound invincible. What fun is that? Even Superman has to have a weakness. Achilles had his heel. So what is my marines' weaknesses? That's the fun part of writing a new book. My main character can't be all powerful and unbeatable.

My poor hero is suffering right now, everything going wrong. None of his plans are going as he expected. Everything he cares about is in danger and people have been lost. The enemy pretty much has him surrounded. If I do this right, this will be the point in the book where the reader can't put it down. The dark moment when all seems lost and only great courage and extreme cleverness can save the day.

Do you enjoy writing the 'dark moment' part of the book? What was the last book you read that you just couldn't put down? For me it was Royce Prouty's Stoker's Manuscript. Ever read a book where the hero was too 'super?'

8 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Your soldiers are like Universal Soldiers? Except alive, of course.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

My third book has some dark moments. More than the other two. (I made a lot go wrong.)

David P. King said...

I live for those dark moments. Just wait until I get my adult fantasy novels out there. You won't have room to breath it'll be so dark. :)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

More like Kurt Russell in 'Soldier' but with more personality, L. Diane.
I'm looking forward to reading some dark moments in your books, Alex and David.

The Happy Whisk said...

The last book I read that I couldn't put down, if you're asking me fiction - was a kid's book.

But as of late, I haven't read any fiction. Mostly have my nose in cookery and bake books.

Lynn Proctor said...

very interesting ideas!

Unknown said...

I love those dark moments!

shelly said...

The dark moments are the best along with the fights.

Hugs and chocolate,
Shelly