Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Halcyon Days

The term Halcyon Days emerged in ancient times when a grieving wife named Halcyon threw herself into the sea after discovering her husband, Ceyx, drowned body. The gods took pity on the couple and turned them into halcyons, kingfishers, and gave them the power to calm the stormy seas for 14 days around the time of the winter solstice. It's really windy here today, so maybe we're too far from the sea to benefit.

But the next week will be my blogging Halcyon Days as I take a break from many of my online activities. I won't be blogging again until the 26th though I'll drop in on Twitter and Facebook during that time.

My daughter should be flying in from Morocco tomorrow. You all know how long her semester overseas has seemed to me. She's anxious to be home in America again too. By next Sunday, all the chicks will be close to the home nest again. Then maybe my Christmas spirit will kick into gear.

From the Old Farmer's Almanac today:
A Saint Bernard can make its way through snow as deep as 15 feet.

"To me, every hour of the day and night is an unspeakably perfect miracle." Walt Whitman

I hope your holidays are as Walt Whitman saw life. I pray for peace in the world, in our country and in our home. So far I have one of those. I pray for comfort for those in many parts of the world where violence and disease has brought so much pain and loss. I pray in the new year, I'll be a better person in all the roles I play.

Merry Christmas to all of you. You are appreciated here.

22 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susan .. have a lovely time with the family at home or close by .. and I'm sure the Christmas spirit will magically appear ... Walt Whitman makes us think ... and if we could get the world to be an easier place for everyone that would be amazing .. but essential we all do our best. Happy Christmas and New Year .. cheers Hilary

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad your daughter is coming home. I know you've worried about her.
Next week, I'm going to pretty much unplug. I have the week off and I'm just going to enjoy it.
Merry Christmas, Susan!

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Safe travels for your daughter! Have a wonderful holiday, Susan - enjoy it all. :)

Pat Hatt said...

Glad everyone will be home and not roam. Have a great christmas at your sea

Maria Zannini said...

Merry Christmas, Susan. I hope your daughter has a safe and uneventful trip.



Chrys Fey said...

I never knew what Halcyon Days meant. Enjoy your break, Susan! Happy Holidays!!! :D

Robin said...

Merry Christmas to you Susan!

I'm so happy your daughter is making her way home. I know that you've appreciated all she's experienced on her travels, but it'll be good to have her close to home. Christmas isn't the same with even one not there.

Interesting the history of Halcyon. Thanks for sharing!

Tyrean Martinson said...

I love your prayer, Susan. I pray for the same - peace, comfort and to be a better person in the roles I play, too. Thank you for sharing!

Merry Christmas!

Liz Blocker said...

Merry Christmas, Susan! Have a wonderful holiday with your family!

J E Oneil said...

I never knew that's where Halcyon came from. Too bad the gods don't take pity on couples like that anymore.

I'm glad your daughter's coming back in time for Christmas. You'll have to make up for lost time mothering :)

Liza said...

Merry Christmas. Hope you have a wonderful time with your family.

Christine Rains said...

Enjoy the holidays with your family. Have a very happy Christmas!

LD Masterson said...

Peace and joy to you this Christmas and throughout the coming year.

The Happy Whisk said...

Happy Christmas

Shannon Lawrence said...

Merry Christmas! I hope you enjoy your time with your daughter.

Heather R. Holden said...

Enjoy your blogging break! Hope you and your family have a fantastic holiday! :)

Ava Quinn said...

Yay, home from Morocco! Have a beautiful Christmas with your brood!

The Armchair Squid said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours. Encourage everyone to ask your daughter loads of questions about Morocco. Reverse culture shock can be rough. People showing interest in your experience is powerful.

Arlee Bird said...

I hear what you're saying. For the first time in my blogging years I'll be breaking for Christmas. I'll be starting back on New Year's Day in order to do my first Battle of the Bands post for 2015. It's become a bit of an obsession with me these BOTB posts.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Unknown said...

Thank you, Susan, wishing you and your loved ones a very Happy Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year.

Nick Wilford said...

A lovely post. Hope you all have a great Christmas together and see you soon.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Merry Christmas, SUSAN....

Wishing you and your family a WONDERFUL HOLIDAY and ALL THE BEST for 2015!