Wednesday, April 3, 2024

IWSG: April 2024

 Welcome to the monthly blog hop of the IWSG.  Please visit the site and check out all the participants, and don't forget to thank our founder, Alex J. Cavanaugh and all the admins of this terrific group. Let's share our pain and triumphs with other writers.

This month's optional question:

How long have you been blogging? (Or on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram?) What do you like about it and how has it changed?

Well, I've been blogging since 2008 so, a long time. I was on Facebook at about the same time. It's not my favorite place and I started Twitter whenever it started. I've had an Instagram account for a number of years but have only recently started being more active on there. Instagram is the most distracting for me. I really like the content I find there. I always feel a bit sad about how blogging isn't what it once was, but I have made real friends through this blog. I've never liked Facebook and only visit because I feel I shouldn't totally let it go and I see pictures of my relatives on there. Twitter is often mean. I've blocked so many negative people on there. Will we ever call it X? Never expect to see me on TikTok.


I still working on my new WIP and have taken a pause in getting my previously published books back out there since I now have all my rights back from the publishers. I did the work and have re-published my two completed fantasy series. The Morbunda Trilogy and The Futhark Chronicles are now available on Amazon. I still have more than 20 science fiction romance novels to re-publish.

I watched the 3 Body Problem on Netflix. I found it to be okay but I don't get all the hoopla about it. I enjoyed the new version of Roadhouse

In some cool news, my granddaughter has joined in my jigsaw puzzle hobby. Though she just turned 7, she's doing 300 piece puzzle by herself. She used an end of my puzzle table while I'm working my my 3,000 piece puzzles and we talk about everything. I know all the first grade intrigue from her elementary school which I can't share because I'm sworn to silence.

I hope spring is heading your way. Be safe if you're lucky enough to see the eclipse next week. I'm excited about it.

What is your preferred social media contact with the world? Any social media you despise? Is spring upon your abode yet? Did you love The 3 Body Problem




11 comments:

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I, too, started my blog and FB page around the same time in 2009. I've pulled back some on both, but want to get back to blogging on a regular basis.

Teresa

M.J. Fifield said...

I'm only on Facebook because my family and in-laws use it. My favorite is probably Instagram, but they're all just so much work that it's hard to have fun with it. I will also never be found on TikTok.

I only watched part of one episode of 3 Body Problem.

Best of luck as you continue with your publishing project!

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,
That is so precious! It is awesome to have a special relationship with your granddaughter. You're building something deep that she will never forget.
All the best and have a lovely day.
Shalom shalom

Liza said...

I can't make myself embrace Twitter/X. I just don't think in hiccups and I struggle to interpret those who can. Love the image of you and your granddaughter puzzling together.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Twitter was meaner. I think a lot of mean people left when Musk took it over.
Not as many blogging but those who do have strong connections.
A few episodes into 3 Body Problem. It's a bit mind-bending.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

TikTok is a bit on the evil side seeing as it's owned by Communist China. I'm not going there. I use Instagram for DLP and find it more fun. I guess I'm more visual and like the pictures.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I usually go with "never say never" but it's a pretty good bet you won't see me on TikTok either. :) I'll stick with blogging, thank you. :)

Love how you and your granddaughter chat and work puzzles together!

Nick Wilford said...

Congrats on taking control and getting your books back out there.

That's so nice you get to share a hobby with your granddaughter. I can just imagine the two of you bent in concentration!

Fundy Blue said...

Hi, Susan! How fun that you are doing jigsaw puzzles with your granddaughter. My extended family is big on doing them. I love the 3 Body Problem, but I love the books way more. Cixin Liu is an incredible sci-fi author. Blogging is my favorite social media form. I'm on Facebook and Instagram, but I can't really keep up with them. Have fun today!

Joyana Peters said...

I'm definitely an Instagram girl. I've really enjoyed participating in the Bookstagram community and meeting other authors and readers.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I used to like Facebook as I get a lot of traffic there and could always drive visits to my blog in the past. But once I started posting again, Facebook won't let me link to my site, says it is spam. I was on Twitter back when it started too but then my account disappeared after being inactive there for a long time. I'm glad I can come back to my blog and pick up where I left off without a lot of changes, other than missing old friends and followers who are no longer here.