Sunday, April 25, 2010

Take That, Penn State

Well, I had my book signing in State College yesterday in direct competition with Penn State's spring football scrimmage, the Blue/White game. Fortunately for me, there are lots of people in Pennsylvania who read and some of them wanted to read The Keepers of Sulbreth.
I have to thank a few fans who showed up and helped me get through the day. Elizabeth Delafield not only showed up, she took this picture for me and brought her father along. My friend, Patty and her husband, Skip, brought more of their family, Molly and Carol, along so for a little while it looked like I'd drawn a crowd. My son, James, and his friend, Harry, both PSU students dropped in before going to the aforesaid football game. Then a friend I hadn't seen for nearly 16 years stopped by and talked for a while. More about her in a later post. All these wonderful people helped me relax and enjoy the day.

Danielle, the Community Relations Manager, for that B&N was so kind and helpful. She checked in with me often and made sure I had everything I needed.

Then all those wonderful strangers who stopped by to talk and bought my book. One took the time to show me her brand new Nook and then purchased my book on it. Really cool. And I can't forget the gentleman named Dave. He walked in the front door and right up to me.

"I'm buying your book."

Dave wanted no conversation. He told me he was on his way home to Connecticut and was going to read my book while his wife drove. Great. I hope it helped the miles pass for him.

It was a great day. My daughter went along with me and sat in the Starbucks Cafe, a perfect day for her. We visited my mother for a few hours afterward. I changed my clothing to sweatpants and sneakers at her house.

And did I mention, I sold a lot of books! How good can it get?


11 comments:

Chris Redding said...

Well, WE ARE
PENN STATE.
Hope to have a signing there as I am a PSU grad!

Paula RC said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time too. Oh how good life feels when the sun is shining.

Best wishes,
J

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Thanks, Jamara. It was shining even through the raindrops yesterday. I hope you get your wish, Chris. I have earned my master's from PSU, have one son who graduated from there and one currently finishing his freshman year. So, I agree, go you Nits.

M.J. Fifield said...

Glad everything went so well for you.

Jemi Fraser said...

Awesome! I'm so glad you had a great day! It must be so exciting to have total strangers want to buy your book - so very, very cool! Congrats :)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Thanks, Haleine and Jemi. It was so much fun after I got over my nerves.

Ava Quinn said...

I'm so glad you had a good time, Sue! Here's to many more signings in your future!

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Awesome to hear you conquered those evil Lions! LOL

Belle Wong said...

Sounds like you had such a lovely book signing!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Thanks, everyone for the well wishes. It was so lovely.

Helen Ginger said...

It does sound like a really good book signing. Friends, sales and pictures!

Helen
Straight From Hel