Tuesday, April 5, 2011

D: Demons Among Us

I'm talking about the real live poisonous fell beasts causing problems in fantasy novels both urban and epic.  The wonderful thing about using demons as antagonists in a book is the endless possibilities of what form they'll take.  Will they be clever, plotting powerful beings like we see on the show, Supernatural?  Will they take human form or will they take over the body of person and replace their soul with their evil natures? 

Will they be hideous to behold or ungodly handsome and beautiful?  What will their powers be?  Will the demons be fire-breathing soul-less and mindless creatures capable of only destruction and following the commands of some under worldly lord of darkness? 

Among the possibilities with demons I like is all the reference material available.  You can research them  and even find artwork to help you create your own unique evil beast or you can use a demon from legend or mythical history to bring hell to your fantasy novel. 

So how do you like your demons? The handsome evil ones of urban fantasy or the ones resembling Satan with his demonic hell hound sidekicks?

7 comments:

Luanne G. Smith said...

Oh, I like my demons to be a little diabolical, deceiving, and demented. :D

M.J. Fifield said...

I like both kinds of demons. Each have their uses. And both exist in my writing.

Luana Krause said...

I think both have a place as well, but I prefer the handsome ones. They catch you off guard. Like the Emerald Queen in "The Silver Chair."

Sylvia Ney said...

I like all kinds, but there is something more sinister about the ones who appear to be very attractive, attentive or otherwise appealing. They lure you in and leave you hoping for the best when they are really the very worst ;-)
I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge and I look forward to reading more from you.

Jeff Beesler said...

I like the savage beast ones the best, although the smart, plotting ones, are really good, too.

Pleased to meet you via the A-Z Challenge!

The Words Crafter said...

Make 'em just plain BAD!

Fun post :)

Jamie Gibbs said...

Most of the demons I've read about were Egyptian demons, which were basically lesser known gods that presided over the damnation of the wicked. They were brutal!