Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Insecure Writer

Thanks to Alex Cavanaugh for starting this first Wednesday Blog Hop called The Insecure Writer's Support Group, where lots of bloggers share their worries, victories and advice. It's a great place to spent a few minutes away from the solitary life of being a writer.

Rolling, rolling, rolling, keep those doggies rolling. I guess I'm showing my age by remembering the theme for Rawhide. I loved that theme song and cowboy shows were huge when I was a little girl. We all wanted to be cowboys. And if you ever saw that show, there was a new plot every week, but the show nearly aways started with the cowboys getting the herd moving and the show ended that way too. No matter what other trouble or responsibility distracted them, they kept those doggies moving.

Writing when you're working another job is like that. Writing when you're raising a family is like that. Writing when you have lots of chores around the house is like that. Writing when you have family responsibilities is like that. Writing when you want to read a new book, bake a new bread, or watching a new movie is like that. Despite everything else, you have to keep those doggies rolling, I mean you have to keep writing.

All distractions aside, keep writing, keep working. Take care of all those subplots in your life, but keep those words rolling. I've found a new ability to keep my focus on my writing this year. With my youngest child now away at college, there are less subplots in my life. Those pages are rolling better and faster than ever.

Are you keeping your doggies rolling? Do you remember Rawhide? What subplots are you dealing with?

17 comments:

The Happy Whisk said...

Right now I'm writing bakes and I find the time because I frickin' love to write and test my formulas.

Even after a long day in prep, I still want to write.

Passion I think is the key. Once we have that, distraction has very little chance. I find.

Unknown said...

I have a love-hate relationship with all those doggies (and ty, now I have that little ditty stuck in my head!;))In some ways, they can feel like flies, distracting me. But in other ways, I think they keep me well-rounded and from being hyper-focused. And it's life. No avoiding that!

shelly said...

Last night I could barely keep my eyes open, but I made sure I wrote at least a 1000 more words.

Hugs and chocolate,
Shelly

M.J. Fifield said...

I'm trying very hard to keep the doggies rolling.

My mother used to watch Rawhide reruns in the afternoons, so all us kids watched it too. I'll probably have the theme song stuck in my head for a while today.

LD Masterson said...

Yup, I remember when Clint Eastwood was pretty instead of craggy.

Sometimes I get distracted and my doggies lie down and relax but eventually I get them up and moving again.

Rawhiiiiiiide.

Mark Means said...

Just a tad before my time, but I do remember Rawhide and agree. If writing isn't your "work", it does make for quite the juggling act with time.

It's good practice, though, trying to organize your time to get some writing in. A lot of us should be experts, by now :)

Cherie Colyer said...

I do remember Rawhide. My ex used to love to catch the reruns on TV. My writing is rolling along, which is always a good thing. :)

Jessica Ferguson said...

I loved Rawhide. Every now and then the theme song makes its way into my head. :) I used to love the westerns.

I've never given a lot of thought to subplots in my life. But in my books, they just seem to occur naturally and thankfully, I haven't had a lot of trouble with them. In real life, when I was younger, I seemed to accomplish more because my life was more routine. Not now. After having a long period of being rather loosey goosey I'm dealing with way too many subplots. Almost like life has made a complete circle. I need structure again.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I think my doggies are tired!
And I remember that song well. Bummer.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Maybe that's why I love roller coasters. They just keep rolling. And everything about my life right now is just a steady rolling forward.

Unknown said...

I am rolling...but not very fast at the moment. I'm on relatively level ground due to those subplots you spoke of. But I'm still rolling and determined to pick up speed.

Laura Clipson said...

I try to write whenever I get a free moment, which is not very often at the minute! But I'll keep trying :)

Mel Kinnel (@TizMellyMel) said...

I try to keep rolling but sometimes it can be hard.

Tyrean Martinson said...

writing, writing, writing, Rawhide! I want to hear that whip crack! :) I remember.

Tonja said...

I love the idea of subplots in our real lives. So true.

D.G. Hudson said...

I like this post. Clint in his earlier days was the silent cowboy type.

Speaking of cowboys, I like the idea that The Lone Ranger and Tonto may ride again. Depp will be a great Tonto!

Heather Musk said...

I love the terminology of subplots for everything else in life other than writing.
Mine is rolling slowly, but I can feel it gradually gathering momentum.

Great post x