Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Out of Touch, Kind Of

It's been a wonderful holiday so far. Today we rode the cog railroad up Pike's Peak. It was quite cold, 33 degrees with 17 degrees with the wind chill factor. But it was clear and you could see for miles and miles. Very beautiful. We saw almost no wildlife which was a disappointment. Later though we saw a golden eagle flying parallel to us as we drove and then a bighorn sheep standing right beside the road. Didn't get a picture because there was too much traffic. Then we found a wonderful bar in a pizza restaurant to hang out and laugh about our day's adventures.
Stream on our hike.

Cactus on our hike

My son, James, in the batting cages


It's frustrating to try and keep up with emails and my blog while staying in a hotel. The internet is very slow relative to my Verizon at home and twice now it's just been so overloaded that I couldn't get online at all for the few hours I have in the evenings to check up.
My husband, Ron, and son, James, waiting for train up to Pike's Peak

Looking down on the cog railroad from on top of Pike's Peak

Seeing for over a hundred miles from on top of Pike's Peak

My husband and son with miles of sky behind them.

My son and I laughing at my husband trying to use the camera.

But I'm going to share some pictures I took over the last few days. Some were while I was hiking and a few from Pike's Peak. Colorado is a beautiful state. Their marijuana laws really provide lots of opportunity for jokes. Every time you get bad service at a restaurant or bar? Every time someone is driving in a clueless manner? All those strange conversations you hear while shopping? We had fun with it.

The bloghop in remembrance of Tina Downey touched me in so many ways. I smiled and cried at times. Even though I didn't know Tina well, the loss of such a wonderful person really made an impact on my sense of community, friendship and belonging of the blogging community. Life is so good because of the wonderful people I've met through blogging.

Have you even suffered the frustration of poor internet connection while away from home? Ever been to Colorado and Pike's Peak? Do you enjoy hiking and where is your favorite place to take a long walk? Ever have a wildlife encounter while out for a jog, run or hike?

14 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

I love Colorado. We drove up the mountain. I gotta tell you, though, it was white knuckles all the way up and down. There's no guardrail!

The only thing I didn't like was that the thinner air gave me a bad headache at that altitude. It was beautiful though.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susan .. sometimes we just need to switch off while we ride the roads and trains ...

It's good to see Colorado - and that's where Tina lived and went to Uni ... she has been remembered all over the blogosphere ..

Enjoy the holiday - and great to see family pics .. cheers Hilary

Karen Jones Gowen said...

My son and his family live near Pike's Peak. We went by car, and it was so cold and windy on the top! I think I know that pizza place you're talking about!

Liz Blocker said...

These photos are lovely!! It looks like a wonderful vacation. I say don't worry about the internet - we'll all be here when you get back! - so relax and enjoy your time with your family. I've never been to Colorado, but I would love to go!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Beautiful pictures! I struggle with connections while I'm away on vacation too. It's hard to keep up.
And yes, I've had a few small animal encounters while out - pileated woodpeckers, angry squirrels, and deer. Raccoons cross my driveway occasionally but I try to avoid them. (They can be mean sometimes)

David P. King said...

You're brave for trying to keep up on the Internets while on vacation. I just threw my hands up and went MIA for two weeks. Good to see that you're having a "high" time. I'm long overdue for a good hike. :)

Pat Hatt said...

lol I can see making fun of the pot heads a lot haha quite great shots too. Blah to 33 degrees though, but as long as it didn't snow. Hotel internet really does suck.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's quite a view! I could handle those temperatures as well.
Sorry Internet sucks.
And Tina's tribute posts were amazing.

M Pax said...

What beautiful photos! The last one made me laugh... where you're laughing at your husband using the camera.

The scenery is spectacular. I love hiking. My husband is from Colorado, but I've never been there... not yet.

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Hi, Susan! Sometimes I try not worry about FB or Blogger while away. Though I find connecting refreshing, I love getting away from it all sometimes!

Sorry you didn't see wild life up in Pike's Peak, but you had pizza! Yummm! x)

btw, I like your book covers!

♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥

Luanne G. Smith said...

Oh, hey, you're in my backyard in Colorado (I live up north by Boulder). And I've been up to the top of Pikes Peak in June when there was still a good foot of snow on the ground. Amazing views up there though. And, yeah, we're all enjoying the Rocky Mountain High jokes. :))

Lori L. MacLaughlin said...

I've never been to Colorado, but those beautiful photos make me want to visit. And I agree, trying to use the Internet away from home is a pain.
I wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! If you'd like to accept (it's completely optional, of course), the details can be found here: http://lorilmaclaughlin.com/2014/09/11/the-versatile-blogger-award. Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

Jemi Fraser said...

So gorgeous!!! Enjoy your time! :)

Tara Tyler said...

thanks so much for sharing those wonderful photos!
and i'm glad people make fun of the reefer law - it's ridiculous and they have no clue!

i didnt know Tina very well either, but it was so wonderful to see all the support. i know her familly appreciated it too.