Friday, September 19, 2014

The End of Summer

Difficult to believe it's the last weekend of summer though the cool night temperatures is proving the calendar correct. The days are flying by. I felt like a I did a lot of work this week but then yesterday I decided my WIP was missing the mark somewhere. My characters need some work if I want readers to care about them. So I'm starting OVER. And I feel like I'm doing the right thing. Some scenes will remain mostly intact but most of them are hitting the trash.

A fall fact from my trusty Old Farmer's Almanac planner. The average person eats about 19 pounds of apples each year. Seems like a lot to me but I do almost always have some in the house.

And a Chinese proverb. Teachers open the door, but you must enter yourself.

And in case you think you're not getting paid enough for your writing here's a fact. Pennsylvania General Assembly clerk Jacob Shallus was paid $30 to pen the Constitution.  This past Wednesday was Constitution Day in case you missed that.

Today's quote about writing. Apologies to my California readers but this is a little bit funny.

There’s no such thing as writer’s block. That was invented by people in California who couldn’t write.
- Terry Pratchett


Are you eating your share of apples? What would you have charged to write the Constitution? Do you believe in writer's block? Ready for fall?

10 comments:

Pat Hatt said...

lol $30 was more back then though. Be like 10 cents by today's standards. Yeah all those with writers block go to hollywood and just hit the "remake" button.

M.J. Fifield said...

I am most definitely not eating my share of apples.

And I don't know if I believe in writer's block. Whenever I get stuck, I call it 'stuck' and go work on something else until I work out how to fix the problem scene.

Funny quote, though. (sorry, California!)

Liza said...

I guess if the guy who wrote the constitution got residuals, he'd be doing okay right now.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Good for you for knowing when to trash some of those scenes...and for having the guts to do it. :)

And I am definitely not eating that many apples!

Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

The Happy Whisk said...

Doyou toss the wonky bits in the bin forever to be gone? Or do you stash them away in a delete folder?

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

And here I thought he would do it for free. LOL. Happy Fall, Susan!

Jemi Fraser said...

I trashed my last draft and am rewriting completely - it's kind of fun! :)

Luanne G. Smith said...

Wow, good luck on the rewrite. I've trashed many scenes for the better. :)

And I like that Chinese proverb.

Gwen Gardner said...

HaHa! Native Californian here *waves*. LOL, I understand the saying, though. Some of the television, it's just...indescribable.

Stephanie Bird said...

Ugh! Love the thought of apples but they wreak havoc on my stomach the next day. I share you sentiments about your WIP. I need to do some of the same sort of housecleaning.