Monday, September 22, 2014

Underrated Treasures Blogfest

Ninja Captain Alex J. Cavanaugh leads us in another creative idea blogfest. Today around 100 bloggers or more will post about a movie, band/artist, TV show or book that they feel hasn't received the love and attention it deserves. Have a look and you might find some treasures you want to experience for yourself.

If you've followed my blog for any amount of time, you probably know my family is very much into sports both as participants and fans. We've watched our share of sports movies but there are a few we can watch over and over again. One that we love but that received some scorching reviews during its time is The Air Up There. This movie was criticized for just about everything except the wonderful location filming in Kenya.

In the movie, a has-been arrogant assistant college basketball coach (Kevin Back as Jimmy Dolan) is challenged to prove he's head coach material by recruiting a very tall and talented young man (Charles Gitonga Maina as Saleh) from a small village in Africa. Film critics harped on the stereotypical depiction of the natives but hey, it was a comedy movie. Instead of Saleh being grateful and impressed by Jimmy Dolan's sales pitch, the mature young man teaches the arrogant coach about what is really important. The critics complain about the cliches in the movie, lots of them, but that's what sports movies are. Fans watch them because they love the game but the story is always that other things are more important than the game. In The Air Up There, family values, friendship, teamwork and the idea that sports are only a game are the centers of an entertaining movie that will leave you feeling good.

I'm not surprised this movie didn't rate well in reviews but it's not the first and only film my family loved that others didn't love. But if you loved movies like Cool Runnings and The Sandlot, I think you'll like this one.

Don't forget to get your post ready for IWSG book, Guide to Publishing and Beyond. Please don't include quotes from others in your article. Do you have a favorite underrated entertainment to share? Have you ever watched this movie? Did it deserve the unkind reviews?

51 comments:

Heather R. Holden said...

Don't think I've ever heard of this movie before. That's great how you and your family are able to enjoy watching it together!

Vanessa Morgan said...

Never even heard of this movie before. Thanks for the recommendation.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I thought it was decent. Sometimes critics are just too harsh.
Thanks for participating in my blogfest!

Miranda Hardy said...

I've never seen this movie.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I've heard of this movie but I've never seen it. It's great, though, that you and your family enjoy watching it together.

Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I've never seen it, but wow does Kevin Bacon look young.

Pat Hatt said...

I enjoyed it when I watched it years ago, haven't watched it in a while though. Cool Running, Sandlot and Major League are tops too.

Luanne G. Smith said...

Damn the cliche-haters. Sometimes all you want is entertainment. :P

Jay Noel said...

YES! Totally forgot about that movie. That was such a fun film.

Loni Townsend said...

I've never seen the movie, but it sounds like it's got a good premise. Probably one I could watch with my kids!

Unknown said...

I haven't seen it but it looks funny.

Bish Denham said...

I'm not familiar with this movie at all, but that it's filmed in Kenya piques my interest!

Laurel Garver said...

Oh, come on, critics. The know-it-all guy from the first world learning from the third world is a trope, not a cliche. It's somewhat even a genre.

Chrys Fey said...

I've heard of this movie, but I've never seen it. And I'm going to the same thing as L. Diane...Kevin Bacon looks SO young!

Mark Means said...

I remember seeing this one advertised, but never saw it. It sort of has a "The World's Greatest Athlete" sort of vibe to it, though.

I'll have to try to check it out.

Kim Van Sickler said...

I'm a bit of a Kevin Bacon fan, so this movie deserves watching for that point alone...

Birgit said...

It's funny that looking at everyone's film choices, I remember most of them coming to theatres but I didn't see this one. Critics are always needing to bellow

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

I love that movie. It made me want to visit Africa. The scenery was stunning. The acting was excellent. Thanks for reminding me.

Huntress said...

Wow. I never heard of this one. Makes me curious :)

Jo said...

I had never heard of this one either but I did enjoy Cool Runnings so will keep an eye out for it.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I have heard of this movie. Enjoyed reading your account of it.


Thanks for your comment, much appreciated. My first two went well, but came up with a stumbling block with Amazon.
Take care.

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds like fun! Have to check it out one day :)

djinnia said...

I've heard of it but never saw it.

djinnia said...

I've heard of it but never saw it.

Arlee Bird said...

I did not see this film. I'm not overly drawn to sports films though when I do watch one I'm usually inspired and end up liking it.

The Sandlot was a good film. I remember taking my kids to see it in the theater.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Tyrean Martinson said...

Sounds like a fun movie, but I haven't seen it yet.

SpacerGuy said...

I haven't seen this movie but it sounds like a cool runner despite the harsh reviews.

Mina Burrows said...

Its been so long since I saw this movie, I can't remember it. Cook pick!

Anonymous said...

You can't go wrong with Kevin Bacon and a sports movie. Nice pick.

Krista McLaughlin said...

I've never heard of this one, but I'll add it to my list. I love the Sandlot!

Cathy Keaton said...

You've truly found an unknown! I'm not familiar with this movie, but I do love Cool Running and Sandlot. Sorry to hear about its many critics that just didn't get the central message of the film. :(

D.G. Hudson said...

Never watch sports movies, but I'd watch Kevin Bacon if that's who the coach is. He's usually quite good at whatever he does.

Mike said...

interesting

Denise Covey said...

Great choice of sport movie!!

The Happy Whisk said...

Nope, never saw it. Just popped in to say have an oogie boogie week.

Nicki Elson said...

Kevin Bacon! I vaguely remember the title of this one but never saw it. Certainly doesn't need to be critically acclaimed to be enjoyable. It's nice that the whole family feels the same about it.

Al Diaz said...

I love movie games! I shall look for this one.

Tamara Narayan said...

I've heard of it, but never saw it. It's funny how critics can blast a movie for cliches but then Hollywood keeps pumping out remakes of the same stuff (Spiderman, Superman, Godzilla) over and over. You can't win.

Sherry Ellis said...

Never heard of it, but it sounds fun!

Shell Flower said...

I've never heard of this one, but looks like a cut family movie. Cliches are fine for kids movies anyway.

Robin said...

Never heard of this one either. Who knew there were so many under-rated movies and books out there????

cleemckenzie said...

I heard about it, but I never saw it. The poster is a lot of fun. It sounds like a feel good movie for a rainy Sunday afternoon.

Toi Thomas said...

I remember The Air up There, Cool Runnings, and Sandlot; all great movies. Thanks for sharing and thanks for stopping by my list.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Ha, I'd forgotten all about The Air Up There. I do enjoy that kind of movie.

Trisha said...

I've heard of this, but not sure I ever saw it.

I'm perfectly okay with cheesy movies - and though I'm not much of a sports head, I don't mind movies like this. I loved Cool Runnings as a younger human.

dolorah said...

I'm not a sports fan, but I remember watching this movie. Good concept, overall. Yep, and underated treasure :)

Hi Susan, I used to be Donna Hole, now I'm changing identies.

Stephanie Bird said...

While I get very irritated by racial and ethnic stereotypes, based on what you've said about how good this film is, I want to check it out. Thanks for sharing!

Cynthia said...

I haven't heard of the movie before. Thanks for sharing about it.

TBM said...

I've heard of it, but haven't watched it yet. And I would love to travel there!

Annalisa Crawford said...

I adored Cool Runnings, so this suggestion is going on my TBW list!

J Lenni Dorner said...

I think I've heard of it, but not sure that I've seen it. You are right though- sports movies pretty much live to be a cliche.