Sunday, March 14, 2010

Quiddle This

As a teacher, mother and writer, I care about words. I've always encouraged my children to read and used every opportunity to expand their vocabulary. We've spend hours as a family playing Scrabble and a few months ago my college son introduced us to a new word game.
I won't go into all the rules or fun but Quiddler is a card game designed for all ages. I warn you, have a dictionary on hand for controversies because in a house full of teenagers it gets pretty competitive. You can get bonus points for longest words, most words and lots of laughs for attempts to sneak those questionable words by your opponents.
We've all heard of the studies about families who eat together and play together. Well, this a great educational way to play together. And it's not a video game. Sit at the kitchen table, put a bowl of chex mix in the middle and have fun.
Turn off the TV and game system and play a good old fashion card game but with an educational twist. Quiddle some new words with your friends and family.

7 comments:

Helen Ginger said...

I've not heard of Quibble, but it sounds fun. My kids are grown, but on holidays when kids and sisters and families are gathered, we're always looking for a board game to play.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

It's fun for any age. It's spelled with double 'd's. I found my card set at Borders. It's not something you can buy at walmart.

Jemi Fraser said...

Quiddle. Hmmm. Sounds like a lot of fun - I'll have to pick it up :)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

You won't be worry, Jemi, and they're not even giving me a kickback to say that.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

That sounds like it's right up our alley! I'll have to look for it!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

You'll have fun, Natalie. It drives me crazy because my only child who isn't a voracious reader always wins. We can't figure it out.

Helen Ginger said...

Ahh, Quiddle. Wonder where I came up with Quibble. Is there something like that in the Harry Potter books?

Helen
Straight From Hel