Monday, April 1, 2019

It's A Person Thing, Sandra M. Bush


Please welcome, my good friend, author Sandy Bush. Sandy is as much fun in person as she is in her writing. 

It’s A Person Thing
By Sandy Bush

For Christmas, I bought myself a new computer. My old one, an Apple Mac Book, circa 2008 ran slower with each passing day. decided to make the switch to the dark side and buy something using Windows 10. Best Buy helped me with my purchase, talked my husband and I into the extra year of unlimited support from the Geek Squad, and transferred the stuff from my Mac to my new Lenovo Yoga.

When I picked up my computer, during the busy Christmas season, the store was crowded, and the line to speak with the Geek Squad twisted all the way to the greeter desk at the front of the store. The young man (i.e. kid) who completed our transaction, rapidly ran through the basics of operating my new computer. Confident I could manage and figure it out, we left after a few minutes, relieved to know the Geek Squad could rescue me whenever I needed help.

Christmas chaos left little time for learning to operate my new computer. I loved it, but it was a different operating system than I was used to. Even simple tasks required me to rethink everything. Frustrated and challenged, I wanted to figure things out on my own.

Fast forward to March, and I continued to putz and putter on my new machine. I grew more anxious, having made little progress. A few times I called the Geek Squad 800 number for help, and they did. They remoted into my machine and helped me access my photos—oddly in a billion small folders—and explained how to navigate through a few problems. But they’re busy people. They’ve got tons of other baby boomers to talk off the ledge.

After three months, I admitted I needed professional help and booked an appointment at the store with the Geek Squad. I arrived armed with my list of questions for the man- child who assisted me. He barely looked old enough to drive or shave and radiated an aura of boredom and disgust. For about twenty minutes, Geek Squad Boy begrudgingly helped me, anxious to be rid of me and my middle-aged questions. He lectured and shamed me to overcome my fears.

 “You can’t be afraid to use it. There isn’t anything you can do that we can’t help you fix, unless you drop it…” During his rant, I made eye contact with an elderly woman who waited in line for help. She smiled at me, understanding my embarrassment.

“Honestly, I think it’s a generational thing,” I said.

“No,” said the boy computer guru, “It’s a person thing.”

I felt my face grow red. I glanced over at my new friend in line. “I agree with her,” she said.

I zipped up my computer case and walked away, smiling and giving a silent thumbs up to the lady who’d come to my rescue. Maybe it is a person thing.


A graduate of The Pennsylvania State University with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Arts and Sciences and a Minor in English, Sandy has a background in Federal, State and County Government.
Her first novel, Money Man was published January 2018 (Year of the Book Press). She has published articles in the Pennsylvania School Board Association’s magazine The Bulletin, online magazine Keystone Edge, and has worked in advertising, and museum script writing (Oil Heritage Museum, Titusville, PA).

Sandy, a freelance writer, is completing her second novel. She is serving her second term on the Pennwriters Board of Directors as the Area 5 Representative. She and her husband Todd are the parents of two daughters and one grumpy cat.  
Can you empathize with Sandy's visit to the Geek squad? Do you think we approach tech in certain ways because of who we are or what generation we are?



10 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Considering how many times I've played Geek Squad for my father, it just might be generational.

Susan Kane said...

I also could be that woman in line with you. I did battle with my computer, infected with a virus, and took it to Geek Squad. The man child helped me so much, talked me through everything. He is my friend for life.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Thanks for being here, Sandy. I so enjoyed your book. I swear some of the kids working in tech stores aren't old enough to drive.

Jemi Fraser said...

EEK! No one needs service with an attitude!!!
When I was computer shopping, the man-child started with a condescending attitude but it changed when he realized I knew things and had serious questions - shouldn't matter though.

Jo said...

Not sure whether it's generational, so long since I bought a new computer, but I have a few more generations than you guys do. I agree, you don't need the attitude from these kids. Think I might have complained.

messymimi said...

That's why i use a local computer store where they are polite!

betty said...

My niece summed it up so well and it was probably because she heard it from someone else. We who were introduced to technology we have these days at an "older" age are considered aliens in a foreign country. We haven't learned the language like the natives did from their birth. The
"young" ones these days have grown up with technology that we would have deemed impossible at their age. They are "natives" and can speak the language just fine. So it is a bit generational, though no excuse for those who know to be disrespectful to those who are trying to learn.

My 3 year old grandson is a pro in maneuvering my tablet to find his shows he wants to watch. He'll be teaching me things I'm sure in a few years.

betty

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susan ... good to meet Sandra ... people 'who help or not' - the ones that do are just wonderful - the ones that don't are so frustrating to deal with. Glad you're mastering your new machine - while good luck with writing your next book with it and managing the present one - Money Man ... sounds interesting. Love the grumpy cat - you can sit and grump back with 'it'! Cheers Hilary

Patricia Stoltey said...

Thanks for introducing us to Sandra, Susan!

I have enough fun getting used to a new PC (which I'll be doing as soon as my new laptop arrives) but have never had to make a transition from a Mac, thank goodness. That would be huge! I do agree that it's more a people thing than a generation thing...plus that added element of whether we've tried to keep up with the times. I'm good on computers, partly because of my working years, but I refuse to buy a smartphone and be connected 24/7 by those who are addicted to texting. When friends (and husband) start talking about apps, my eyes glaze over.

Teresa from Hershey said...

Thanks for posting this.
I think it's partly generational (i.e., like learning a new language along with a new alphabet).

There's also a lot of very poor design. If something has to be explained multiple times to multiple people, it's not them. It's the designer, trying to cram too many features onto too many buttons.

My writing program (the latest iteration of Word) has thousands of things it can do and I can't do any of them.

Thank God I live with my IT department (husband, son, and daughter).

One of them always knows.

Teresa from Hershey