Wednesday, June 3, 2020

IWSG: June 2020

Wow. I almost put the wrong date in the title. How can it be June already? The first Wednesday of the month means time for IWSG. Thanks to the founder, Alex J. Cavanaugh, we meet every month and share the woes and victories of being writers. Find the entire list of bloggers here on the IWSG blog.

This month's optional question: Writers have secrets! What are one or two of yours? Something readers would never know from your work?

Readers of this blog probably know plenty about me. I can't think of any real secrets I keep from my blogger friends. I'm such a regular, average person that I can't think of one secret to share. But I'm interested to read about yours.

One bit of news I would like to share. I've been elected president of Pennwriters, a state-wide writers group. I've been a member for many years and on the board for the last five. It's a lot of work and a lot of responsibility. Pennwriters has done so much for me from the time I was a total newbie to now, that I feel like it's my time to give back. If you live in Pennsylvania or any of the surrounding states, you should check out our group. We have a mini-con in Erie in the fall and a large conference coming up in May in Pittsburgh. We had to cancel this year because of the pandemic, but we're staying positive about next year. The future is completely unpredictable.

"Real life seems to have no plots." Ivy Compton-Burnett

I'm working hard on my WIP, which is the last book in my fantasy series. If you recall from earlier posts, the first book was published by a small press who closed their doors right before the second book came out. I still need a publisher or I need to decide to self-publish. I'm going to checking out L. Diane Wolfe's upcoming seminars next week. No matter which road I take, I can always learn something about promotion.

I have been suffering some eye strain between writing and working for Pennwriters. Good thing there is nothing to watch on TV. I've been skipping that screen entirely. The news is the worst of it, too.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

I visited a bookstore yesterday for the first time in about two months. Our libraries aren't open yet. I miss the library. I haven't really missed most of the other stores that are closed, but when they open I intend to to support my local small business as best as I can. Later this week, I'm going to an independent bookstore and buy some books I don't have time to read. I know the owner and want her to stay in business. She is very welcoming to local authors and holds events all the time.

Are you keeping secrets? Has your life returned to anything like normal? What have you missed the most when everything was closed? Do you have too much screen time lately?








26 comments:

nashvillecats2 said...

Congratulations on being elected president, I'm sure you will do a wonderful job.

Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations on becoming president! I know how well you handled yourself with the IWSG and I'm sure you'll rock the Pennwriters.
That's great you are supporting local businesses. They need it.

Liza said...

Congratulations. I remember you talking about Penn Writers for a long time, so I'm guessing you will be a great leader. No real TV for me either...it's too hard to watch. I do read the newspaper online, so I do keep up, but this is a challenging time for so many of us in so many ways.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Congratulations!

The libraries are doing curbside pick-up for books that were on hold and are now ready. Definitely appreciate the effort but it's not the same.

J.Q. Rose said...

I think you are keeping secret the secrets you have for us bloggers! LOL If you tell, it won't be a secret. Michigan is just now opening up a few more businesses beginning this month. No hair salons open yet! WE won't talk about my covid hair. Happy IWSG day!
JQ Rose

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I appreciate you checking out the webinars. Congrats on being president. If you need any guidance, I can point you to several others who've set up conferences who would be more than willing to impart some tips.

Natalie Aguirre said...

That's awesome that you were elected president. I bet it will help you make more connections with writers and be of service to other writers.

Jemi Fraser said...

Congrats on being elected president!!
I've always loved that Einstein quote - and I've had it posted in my classroom many times! :)
I'll be at Diane's seminars too!

betty said...

Congrats on being president!! Our library is not open either except for curbside pickup. I wish they would open up again. I know kids are missing the actual story time there as compared to virtual.

betty

mshatch said...

Still waiting for life to return to some semblance of normal. Not writing as much as I would like but I've been reading a lot more that usual.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Congratulations, Susan. President! Wow, that's wonderful. You're going to meet some fabulous people. Can't wait to hear more.

David Powers King said...

That's quite the accomplishment, Susan. Well done! Maybe too much screen time lately, but I'm still far from "catching up" with my watch list. :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

I miss the library and bookstores!
And, congratulations!!!

emaginette said...

Congrats! Busy hands, hey. :-)

Anna from elements of emaginette

cleemckenzie said...

How great to be elected president of such a prestigious organization. Huge congratulations. As to eye strain: I found that blue-tinted glasses (if you wear glasses) has helped ease my eye strain considerably.

J E Oneil said...

That's such good news! I'm sure you'll do a great job. Hopefully next year you'll have better luck with cons.

Nick Wilford said...

Congrats on your presidency! And great to hear you're supporting your local bookstore. It's small independent businesses that'll be most at risk, so we do need to help.

Chrys Fey said...

A big congratulations on being elected president of Pennwriters. That title is definitely well-deserved.

messymimi said...

We continued to work as usual, so things are pretty steady here. No secrets, just a dream of being able to retire someday.

Pat Hatt said...

Congrats on becoming president. Yeah, nothing on these days so can rest your eyes by not watching that screen at least.

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Congratulations Madam President! That's wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your election! I'm definitely going to support local businesses as much as possible once they reopen. I miss the library and our favorite restaurants. I'm signed up for Diane's webinar's, as well.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susan - congratulations on the PennWriters presidency - brilliant news. Take care with your eyes ... but the thought about buying books makes so much sense - our independent bookstores need to keep going ... and I'll be down to ours once they open. All the best - Hilary

Jo said...

Congratulations Madame President. Trouble is you will be too busy to write if you aren't careful. I'm still waiting to proof your WIP.

Nope, I don't have any secrets either, my blog tells all.

Toi Thomas said...

Congratulations on becoming President of Pennwriters.
I too will be taking Diane's webinar, though not live. I work nights, but am happy to receive the recordings the next day.
I never stopped working during the shut-down but did stay inside a lot more. I too look forward to getting out to support local businesses.

Loni Townsend said...

Grats on the election! I suppose one of the secrets readers of my work wouldn't figure out would be that I don't care much for coffee... while my main character is addicted to it!