Wednesday, September 6, 2023

IWSG: September 2023 and Happy Anniversary


 It can't be time for IWSG already, but here we are on the first Wednesday of the month to share our woes, victories, and knowledge. As always, a special thanks to our founder. Alex J. Cavanaugh, and all the other admins for keeping the group amazing. Find all the participants on this list.



A special shout out to this week's co-hosts:

J Lenni Dorner  https://jlennidorner.blogspot.com/

Sonia Dogra  https://soniadogra.com/

Pat Garcia  http://www.patgarciaandeverythingmustchange.com/

Sarah - The Faux Fountain Pen  http://thefauxfountainpen.blogspot.com/

Meka James  https://authormekajames.wordpress.com/


And thanks to all the IWSG members who have cohosted in the past. You help it happen.


And have a cupcake today to celebrate the 12th anniversary to IWSG! The time went so fast and it gets better with age, like all of us.


"You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream." C.S. Lewis


I was one of the early admins for the IWSG blog hop and have been here since Alex started the group. More people were blogging 12 years ago and I met so many wonderful people. Many were writers but some were not. The the time, I was blogging a lot, usually at least 3 times per week. I don't know how I found the time, but it was fun. 


During those early years, I hosted many of my fellow bloggers when they had new releases and they reciprocated. Still doing that for any of my fellow authors who'd like to guest post. I learned about things like Twitter pitches and saw the beginnings of those great anthologies IWSG has created to showcase some of the awesome writers in this group. I own all those anthologies in print and they grace my keeper shelf.


I think it is so important for a writer to find their tribe, a group who understands what it is like to work, struggle, and grow in this difficult business. I love in-person writing groups, but they're difficult to find. And during the Covid shutdowns, they were nonexistent. But IWSG kept going strong and helped me stay at my writing. I hope they've helped you in some way.


"The best is yet to be." Robert Browning


How has IWSG helped you? Do you belong to other groups? How long have you been part of IWSG?


19 comments:

Sarah Foster said...

The IWSG has definitely helped me. I probably wouldn't be blogging at all without it.

Nick Wilford said...

The IWSG has definitely helped me keep going, not only with blogging but writing as a whole. Other blog hops have fallen away, but I'm glad IWSG is going strong.

Natalie Aguirre said...

That's so cool that you knew Alex from the beginning. I joined the group a little later-before 2014. I've been blogging since 2011, and it was so much more fun back then when I had so many more blogger friends who sadly stopped blogging. I'm so grateful for this group because I know we're a committed group of writers here to support each other. And we connect every month.

Michelle Wallace said...

The group has kept me going all these years. The IWSG has such a wonderful sense of community, which is hard to find in online groups.
Happy IWSG Anniversary Day, Susan!

Tyrean Martinson said...

I'm so thankful we had IWSG during the shutdowns, and yes, we kept going strong for each other, and that's what's awesome about this group. :)

cleemckenzie said...

This was a great post, Susan. IWSG has helped me a lot, and I still appreciate it and the people involved.

Jemi Fraser said...

The IWSG has been amazing! I haven't found an in-person writing group yet but maybe one day!

Gwen Gardner said...

I used to blog three times a week too. Now it's only once a month for the IWSG. There just isn't time if I want to write. I'm so glad you're still around!

Fundy Blue said...

Hi, Susan! The C.S. Lewis quote caught my eye. He's one of my favorite writers, and what he said is so true. One thing the IWSG group has helped me realize is that I'm not too old to pursue my writing goals. I have all of the IWSG anthologies on my keeper shelf too. Actually, I have a large number of books in bookcases stuffed to the limit that I'm trying to winnow down. Books that won't go include those anthologies and books by other IWSG members. They're my friends on the shelves. Happy IWSG Day to you!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You were there in the beginning! (And I'd always welcome you back as an admin.) That's cool you own all the anthologies.

J Lenni Dorner said...

I do love having fellow speculative fiction, and all related genres, guest posting releases on my blog. And I love interviewing debut authors on the OA blog. A strong blogging community is awesome.

"The only thing you absolutely have to know is the location of the library." – Albert Einstein quote
September is library card sign-up month! Get one, use one, and be grateful such places exist.

J Lenni Dorner (he/him πŸ‘¨πŸ½ or πŸ§‘πŸ½ they/them) ~ Speculative Fiction &Reference Author, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, and Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge

messymimi said...

It seems to be a fabulous group, although I'm not a member as I'm not a writer.

Charlotte (MotherOwl) said...

Yes IWSG was indispendable during lockdown. I too miss the many bloggers, but I think bloging is having a revival.

Liza said...

IWSG has helped me to keep posting and to keep writing. It's almost like my conscience. "I have a blog post to write, and I better have something writing-related to talk about!" Thank you for your kind comment on my post. That's one of the things I like most about IWSG, the kindness!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susan - yes ... I'm so glad I found the group and ancillary ones - so much support and learning is available. I know I wouldn't be still blogging if this group wasn't here - PS - thanks for coming by! cheers Hilary

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I think IWSG members are less judgmental than in-person groups.

Thank you for purchasing print copies of the IWSG anthologies.

J E Oneil said...

So many people have left blogging! It's such a shame.

Anonymous said...

IWSG is definitely a writer tribe:) Lots of fine folk.
Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

chickangell said...

I've been striving to be more committed to this community because you are correct, community really helps make this writing business less difficult. So grateful for what you've contributed over the years! www.heidiangell.com