Monday, February 11, 2013

Love the New One

I've been so busy with editing and all the other work involved with the three books I have coming out before June that I haven't had a moment to work on any new writing. I still have a few rounds of edits to do on First Dragon for Crescent Moon Press and the final changes on The Heir of Futhark to contend with but this weekend I finally got back to the 'next' book.

The next book I'm working on is the second book in The Morbunda Saga tentatively called Born to War. I reread what I had already written and managed about 2.5K of new material this weekend. Not much, but my writing brain feels a little rusty. I haven't gone this long without working on a new book since I started writing. It is so fun to dive back in and get this story moving again.

Writing time is precious, and it's so easy to get distracted by time sinks like Pinterest and other social networking including blogging. I try to blog three times per week but that can be time consuming. It's a test of my time management skills to limit my time on blogs. I apologize if I visit fewer than I've been doing over the last three months but I have a plan.

I had forgotten the fun of writing that first draft. Even though I really like this part, it is the most challenging for me. I have a goal of having it done by the end of April. Can I do it? I'm not sure with all the blog hops and challenges I've signed up for in March and April. But that's what goals are for.

So how many blogfests are you signed up for this spring? Are you working on something new or editing a completed work? Did you get snowed in this weekend? Ready for spring instead of this endless cold and wind?

11 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

I've got another nonfiction title to finish and a garden to plan. :)

No blogfests for me. They're not my thing.

Anonymous said...

I have signed for the A to Z blogfest any others before April will have to go as I would like to get my challenge put together before April.

Yvonne.

Mark Means said...

I've signed up for four blogfests within the next two months, which should be fun.

Best of luck on meeting your goals! :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I bet you can do it.

And you won a book today at my site.

Cate Masters said...

I'm trying to limit blog hops but signed up for a few, and have cut back on blogging though I love having guests. :)
In general I'm trying to concentrate on writing this year rather than too much social media. I think others grow tired of seeing too many posts and messages about the same old same old.
Nope, no real snow this weekend, though I prefer snow to ice!

Anonymous said...

Best to you with your writing goals.

I'm redirecting my writing energies this year, so my efforts are towards forging these new paths. I feel invigorated with my writing again.

I'm not a real blogfest/hop person either. But I cheer on those who do participate. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you're back in the groove!
Revisions for me. Need to read through my manuscript one more time.
And I think I've signed up for four blogfests in the next month alone.

Ava Quinn said...

Wow, you're busy! Glad you've gotten your writer's groove in gear.

Christine Rains said...

The first draft is the best part! Enjoy. You can do it! :) I've signed up for too many blogfests, but there are so many good ones.

Jemi Fraser said...

Having a plan is good. I backed off pretty much completely from blogfests and bloghops - I just don't have the time - and what I do have has to go to writing :)

The Happy Whisk said...

I love these kinds of bites of life posts. And yes, without a doubt you can do it. I believe in you.

No blogfests for me, but never say never. I might give one a go sometime.

Cheers and boogie boogie.