Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Glad I'm Not....

As I make my rounds of blog friends, Twitter and Facebook, I see tons of posts and tweets about NaNoWriMo. November is almost here for those participating. Writers are offering advice, requesting advice or sharing their exciting plans. They're getting their plots ready, making outlines and setting other things aside for a marathon of writing. And I'm glad I'm not participating.

I have so many things going on now, both with my own writing and some self-imposed deadlines and with other obligations I've been asked to take or have volunteered for. I feel a little left out of the NaNo excitement but I know my limits. I have too many other things to work on and prepare during that month of November. With Thanksgiving thrown into the month, I see no way I could commit to writing that much. I do expect to write 30K during November but it is to complete a book I've already started. My contribution to the spirit of NaNo will be to cheer on and encourage those participating.

My husband and my sons are going south for a golf holiday in November. I could go along and do come beach time but I'm glad I'm not. I'll have the entire house to myself for writing, reading, sleeping in and eating lunch and dinner in front of the TV. I'll do some Thanksgiving preparations but mostly it will be a stay-cation all by myself.

Most of you know I retired from teaching a little more than a year ago. Recently I ran into some of my former students at a football game. They were so happy to see me and assured me that they missed me. A few hugs later and I felt a little melancholy but I'm glad I'm not teaching anymore. The job gets tougher every year though those teenagers are still wonderful. Most parents wouldn't say this, but the teenage years were my favorite for raising kids.

Please visit IWSG blog today and meet a special guest. And here is a link to a cool calendar to keep track of your NaNo progress.

What are you glad you're not doing at the moment or anywhere in the near future? Do you feel about teenagers like I do? Do you enjoy being home alone? Is NaNo your November goal or do you have an alternative one like I do?

17 comments:

Shannon Lawrence said...

I will likely just do my own goal setting for November, my annual ShaNoWriMo. Last year it was ShaNoShoStoWriEdSubMo. So maybe I'll do that again. I guess I'd better decide, eh? But no, I don't believe I'll be participating in the actual NaNo unless some last minute inspiration strikes me. And I'm happy with that. I do want to try to hijack the energy, though, which is why I tend to choose my own goal each year.

Enjoy your staycation! I do enjoy having the house to myself. My littles are still little, so that rarely happens.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susan .. the house-break sounds ideal - gosh it's lovely having peace and quiet. Enjoy the time catching up, writing etc and planning for Thanksgiving ..

NaNo is not for me either .. cheers Hilary

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm not participating either and I am all right with that. Way too much going on right now. (And obviously I can't keep up with what I do have going on...)

Luanne G. Smith said...

I only have the one son, and he's been great at every age (biased). He's off to college next year, and that will be my least favorite age for him methinks. :(

Murees Dupè said...

Good for you on having the house to yourself. It sounds like a writing dream come true. I'm not taking part in NaNo and never have. Its too much pressure for me and I will be spending the next few months doing some serious editing to my manuscript. I hope the writing goes well for you.

DRC said...

I've never done Nano before. I've usually used the hype and encouragement to leap forward in my own project but this year I've actually signed up. First time. I may regret it later, but the spark of a new story pushed me towards doing it. Who knows how it will turn out.

And just like you, I love staycations :) Enjoy.

Pat Hatt said...

I'll probably write 50K words with ease, but yeah would rather do it on my schedule than theirs. A staycation is always great.

Liz Blocker said...

Yup, me neither (on NaNo). Those little pulls towards things are SO OFTEN overruled by the 'glad I'm not feeling,'and we SO OFTEN ignore the 'glad I'm not' and do them, anyway, to our own detriment. Good for you for saying no!

Crystal Collier said...

Man! I wish I could get the house to myself for a couple days. That would be AMAZING. I'd seriously use every second.

You know, NaNo fits for some years, and not for others. I think we just have to embrace it when it fits with life.

Unleashing the Dreamworld

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I hate to say it, but I'd love the house to myself, too.

The Happy Whisk said...

I have a buddy going on year 11. Yikes.

Tammy Theriault said...

I won't be doing NANO but it would help me stop procrastinating my writing efforts. no time!!

Heather R. Holden said...

I never understood why NaNo's in November each year. That always seems to be such a busy month for everyone, thanks to the holidays. Good luck with all the non-NaNo things you hope to accomplish!

Michelle Wallace said...

I've never done NaNoWriMo...too much unnecessary pressure to produce X number of words per day. I'd rather write my 500 or 1000 or (insert relevant digits) number of words I can manage from day to day.
Yes, I enjoy being home alone. I love my own company...

Christine Rains said...

I LOVE being home alone. I don't get it often enough. I'm a bit sad I can't do NaNoWriMo this year either. Too much going on next month. I'm glad I'm not doing anything in December. I need a month off after family visits and before the big tours start for my releases in January.

Liza said...

I'm glad I'm not doing NaNoWriMo, too. I couldn't handle the pressure. That said, more power to those who can!!!

Julie Flanders said...

Your stay-cation sounds wonderful. I'm glad I'm not doing NaNo this year as well. I loved doing it in the past but this year there was no way I could manage it.