Wednesday, October 2, 2024

IWSG: October 2024

 


Hello all and happy fall. Time for our monthly blog hop. Thank you to the admins of the Insecure Writers Support Group who keep this show running. And a special thanks to our founder, Alex J. Cavanuagh, who saw the need for writers to share their woes, experiences, and expertise.

Today's optional question:

Ghost stories fit right in during this month. What's your favorite classic ghostly tale? Tell us about it and why it sends chills up your spine.

I don't think I have a favorite ghost story. I'm not into ghost tales. One of my favorite uses of ghosts in a movie is The Lord of the Rings when Aragon called on the ghosts who had betrayed his ancestors and they fought beside him to save Gondor. They were cooler in the book, but the movie did a pretty good job.

“Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win.” - Stephen King

This month is my blog's anniversary. I shared my first blog in 2008. The blog-o-sphere was a much busier place then and I blogged three times a week. I don't know how I kept that up and still had time to write. In the years since, three bloggers I felt close to passed away. It was an odd sadness when I had never spoken to those people in person. More bloggers have just stopped blogging. I haven't. Yet. And there are enough friends still active to keep me here.

On the other hand, there are some blogs that thrive and grow. One of those is Terrible Minds by Chuck Wendig. He does a lot of promo for his own successful books but also for other writers. He also blogs about a lot of things important to writers. Here is his opinion on the NaNoWriMo fiasco. And then his take on Generative AI. I read most of his content.

Finally, some new stuff on TV. I'm watching the Rings of Power on Amazon. It moves so slow sometimes and has so many story lines, but it keeps me interested. I'm going to catch up on the new season of Tulsa King on Paramount, and The Old Man on Hulu. I guess I'm feeling my age that I'm enjoying shows where the main characters are old folks.

I hope whereever you live, you're getting some sunshine today. We're on our 11th straight day of clouds, drizzle, and endless rain. I know we need rain and some people like rain, but I would be happy in the desert. And I have relatives in the south who are fortunately all safe, but I feel for all those who were in the path of the recent hurricane.

"Keep your face always toward the sunshine and shadows will fall behind you." Walt Whitman

Do you enjoy ghost stories? How long have you been blogging? Is there a good informative blog you follow faithfully? Did the recent storms impact you?



No comments: