Saturday, October 4, 2008

Weather for Writers

I teach school so that means I have a number of weeks off in the summer. You would think I get lots of writing done during those months. The opposite is true. Too many things tempt me when the sun is shining and the flowers are blooming. I take care of the yard and landscaping around our house. I love it but it's still a time consuming chore. Then there's all my kids activities. When the sun is out the kids will play.
And or course, fall is back to work and all the things that entails. I've found that I get the most writing done when it's cold or rainy outside. Today is an overcast, cool day here in the northeast USA, and I did one scene already this morning. I expect I'll do another ten pages before evening. Something about those clouds and a hot cup of chai gets my creative thoughts rising to the surface.
Winter does the same thing. Getting snowed in is a perfect time to put on some music and hit the keyboard. I often wonder what would happen if I could retire from my day job and write full time. Would I get anything done on a sunny day?
I'm off now to work on part three of my fantasy series I started with, The Keepers of Sulbreth. I'm waiting to hear from my editor on the second book in that series titled, Beyond the Gate. I haven't titled book three yet, but maybe it will come to me on this stormy day.

No comments: