Friday, March 18, 2011

Desktop

My writing space is a place of comfort and convenience.  I have two cheap desks set up to form an 'L' with my laptop on one and papers spread out on the other.  My journal I found at a craft store for one dollar sits there half-filled with blog outlines and ideas for future blogs.  My monthly planner is there with mostly writing reminders in like guest appearances, release dates and other promotion stuff.  I usually set my drink there too.  Hot coffee in the morning, ice coffee in the afternoon when I'm home and amaretto in the evenings. 


My laptop sits on the other rather clear desk.  I usually can see the fake wood top in spots on it.  I always think of the other desk as the one with work piling up.  Until I realize the real work pile up in my laptop.  I have five emails I'm composing responses to(in my thoughts), most of them about promotion opportunities.  I have blog drafts saved, waiting to be completed.  I have pictures saved I want to put in those blogs and drafts for queries, synopsis of all my books, three books I'm working on, one half done and the other two stalled out for now. 

So I have a messy physical desk top and a messy virtual desktop.  Tons of work to do and so little time to do it in.  Where does your work pile up? Is it organized or a mess only you can comprehend?

12 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

:sigh: I try to clean my space up every few weeks. Notes, articles and various books continually pile up.

M.J. Fifield said...

My work space is generally pretty neat but there are times when there are notes and outlines and books and candy wrappers and everything else spread out all over creation. I still maintain that this is all organized chaos. My significant other begs to differ.

Golden Eagle said...

There are often books and papers and pens across the area where the computer is; my virtual desktop is covered in sticky notes and there are a lot of files that really should be deleted . . . but haven't been yet.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Lately, I've moved my writing space (and laptop) to the guest bed where I have tons of writing outlines and sheets spread out. But when I'm done for the day, I brush them all into a folder and nobody knows what a mess I am. LOL

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

My files are a little unporganized, but I need a clean writing space!

Jemi Fraser said...

I don't have a deskspace so I keep everything I can in my laptop. I keep some paper & journals in my beside table, but virtually everything is on my computer. Which is why I back it up frequently ... which I'm going to do again now :)

Jules said...

Funny, my desk is under construction. My backup is in my head and in a system only my bad angel understands. I need one of those amaretto's and it will make sense :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Paula RC said...

I always find it interesting to know where other poeple do their writing. Do you have view from your office window? if so do you face it or not? I face a wall of books so I don't get too distracted.

Cheryl Klarich said...

Oh dear, I am such a Piglet! Stuff everywhere... When it gets too unpleasant, I move it... somewhere...

Unknown said...

I try to keep my desk clean, because as you say the real mess is inside of my laptop.
At the moment I have two desks, one is messy with work to remember, and one clean with laptop. So I can divide my priorities.
Nahno

Anonymous said...

Mine's an organized mess I can comprehend but wouldn't be able to explain. =]

Anonymous said...

God forbid I have to ever tell anyone how to find anything on my desk. Or in my mind.